• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On the Ball

Chance shot while out working the street.

on_the_ball.jpg

Mike Spinak

pro member
This is a lovely photo, and made me smile. Very well seen.

It looks sepia toned. Could you explain why you chose to tone it this way, instead of a straight black and white treatment?

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Frank!

I found this from Asher's post but I'll make my own comment!

The lonely street and out of place spheres catch my eye. This image feels both lonely and smooth to me.

Thats my emotive reaction.

The tonal range seems compressed? The leaves on the trees don't have much definition to me... the white stripes on the road don't stand out...

What did you do in PP?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ed,

This picture by Frank Piechorowski has haunted me for a long time. I have planned to comment on it but never could quite frame my feelings.

I've imagined the picture was cropped above the mans head, that would make a striking panorama. That, it appears, explains the root of my problem understanding the photograph!

I now realize that there's a brain-seducing bottom 1/3 of the photograph: a solitary man and a line of large stone ball! Add just the height of the tree and the man's stature is diminished and we're immediately conflicted on what to think. Now add the rest of the building and it becomes a David and goliath stand-off. We have only a small part of the red brick building shown, yet, in its presence, that man is even less significant!

Yes, one could lighten one part, sharpen the foreground, blur the building, all of which I might have chosen to do, but ultimately, there's something in this pciture that grabs me as it is!

It's not "satisfying" since we have no idea of good, bad or beauty just a questions about the ultimately solitary man and a line of big balls. He can sit on one, but hardly leave his mark that the rain won't wash away!

Maybe, it's that simple!

Asher

The tonal range seems compressed? The leaves on the trees don't have much definition to me... the white stripes on the road don't stand out...

What did you do in PP?

In all honesty (this is one of my favorite images) I've done almost nothing to this image other then a very small amount of crop and adding the tone resize and sharpen.

In my eye, this shot has nothing to do with the sharpness of the leaves or the whiteness of the lines, although the tonal range IS just where I intended it. I'll expound a bit more on my own thoughts of this image in the next post.

I now realize that there's a brain-seducing bottom 1/3 of the photograph: a solitary man and a line of large stone ball! Add just the height of the tree and the man's stature is diminished and we're immediately conflicted on what to think. Now add the rest of the building and it becomes a David and goliath stand-off. We have only a small part of the red brick building shown, yet, in its presence, that man is even less significant!

Yes, one could lighten one part, sharpen the foreground, blur the building, all of which I might have chosen to do, but ultimately, there's something in this pciture that grabs me as it is!

It's not "satisfying" since we have no idea of good, bad or beauty just a questions about the ultimately solitary man and a line of big balls. He can sit on one, but hardly leave his mark that the rain won't wash away!

Maybe, it's that simple!

Sorry to quote so much, but Asher, I could not have explained it better myself.

In my own mind... when I composed the image and then again when I presented it was a duel balance of both symmetry and of contrast.

It intent of the image was was not to convey any good, bad or beauty... but of a subliminal balance of these contrasts.

The height of the tree vs the the hight of the man... yet both are placed in the second position in from the edge of the image... etc...

The man is the focus if the image... the unanswered question of the image... why is he there, why is he alone, where is he going... it is his existence in that world that makes the whole image work adds the tension to the image... for without him... the image would be nothing...

Myself... I have always loved this image.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great, Frank!

I am glad and relieved that I got what was embedded in your photograph. It's always risky trying to interpret someone elses work. I believe, however that we have common vocabularies of symbols and issues. So if one goes with one's feelings and interviews oneself and questions one's own reactions and returns to the work again your intent can be recognized.

This is gratifying. An arc of communication has been made! It does not always happen for so many cultural, educational and other practical reasons. However, here, your intent has eached me! Wow! That's great.

Asher