• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cowgirl relaxing- redone

Well I had another go at this shot and I like it, but it looked a tad overexposed, so tonight I had another go at it.
First image, I did this one just an auto color, auto level, and auto contrast, then I think I did a color cast removal.

0033.jpg

Second image,
This one I took a little more time. Since I have the original .cr2 file.

I messed up caused I didn't keep notes on what I did to it.

_MG_0041b.jpg

All comments welcome, and thanks for looking.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cody,

You first picture looks fine the second rather muddy. This is an Apple iMac LCD screen and not my profiled monitor but still, I think the second one might be way off.

Is you monitor profiled? It's dangerous to touch color if you don't have certainty of the colors shown have much in common with the colors coded for in the file.

It so happens that the second picture might be much better just for the background! The girl, the straw bale and her boots would all be masked by painting white in the first image and everything else 50% grey in that mask so the darker picture underneath would be partially revealed for the b.g. and it might look fine!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cody,

Are you referring to the first picture? That looks fine. The second one is really dark on my screen. Let's have some other feedback on the appearance of the second picture. What color space is it in?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Cody,

Just for the record, there's no standard RGB. There's Adobe RGB (1988) which is the one Professionals use for a large gamut to include most of the colors the camera can deliver. However, there are even wider RGB color spaces some folk use as printers can now represent colors beyond Adobe RGB. sRGB is use by many drug stores and will be used as default by many cameras when using the jpg image. It's a much more limited color space.

If one is posting on the web, it's expected to be in sRGB so different monitors will hopefully show the same picture. I checked and both your images are in fact sRGB, so color space does not account for the large difference I see.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Just for the record, there's no standard RGB.
Well, there's sRGB, whose designation is supposed to be evocative of "standard RGB".

But of course there are several "standard" RGB color spaces. Perhaps you mean "there is not a single standardized RGB color space".

[I know why you said what you did.]

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

cody and doug,

Both, "Of course!". There's no one standard. So it's meaningless to say the standard RGB. We cannot by that statement know what RGB we refer to. However that point is mute now that we know that both images are sRGB. So let's put that aside. The question is simple. how do the pictures color appear to different folk here?

I like the first but the second appears muddy. So is this just my odd appreciation?

Asher

Valentin Arfire

hello friends

I have little experience in very high quality printing, but when it comes to local printshops they always asked Adobe 1998 profile in RGB; I use tiff without compression and usually have to "lighten" the image compared to what I get on my macbook screen;

regarding the colors of the images I believe the first hat too much light and red and the second too much green - but then again my monitor was calibrated some time ago and I don't really know the nature of the light when the picture was taken and neither what the photographer thought or intended to express

:)

good light

I don't know how or why this happened, I just did a little test with both images.
I copied them to a sd card and took them over to my dad's 50" Panasonic plasma HDTV and viewed them both. with certain the first image was blown out in skin tone and the white hats, the second image was more crisp and had just stood out better, the white hats had better depth to them, the boots had a nice shine.
so I may have gotten extremely lucky on my laptop lcd monitor.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cody,
The first image looks ok, just a slight bit overexposed (the color seems a bit flat) and the second image is definately too dark.
I also see the same very slight magenta cast Winston refers to.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Angles and Color

I suggest you profile your monitor before yuo mess too much with the color. It's off in both images.

As for the image, The angle of her to the camera makes her thighs look big. No girl wants big thighs. A different angle would be more flattering. Remember whatever is closest to the lens will appear bigger.

Asher Kelman

I suggest you profile your monitor before yuo mess too much with the color. It's off in both images.

This is discussed further here.

As for the image, The angle of her to the camera makes her thighs look big. No girl wants big thighs.

Kathy,

There's a great distribution in taste.

0033.jpg

She doesn't seem too bad! Some guys appreciate more endowed ladies. Just remember, "Thin is "in", but fat is where it's at!" The picture itself has all the elements needed to be successful but the issue is that there's no emphasis on anything. This is a democratically lit and positioned set. Everything is roughly equally important and handsome. Of course, we're attracted to the girl, but that may be more of a biological thing at play. We like good looking healthy people! However, the boots are shown as "equal" to her. I do like the set and with it simplified, it's worth going further.

About the look of the thighs, enlargement is not a problem. It's the opposite we fear most! Cassius was described as having that "mean and hungry look". We are more relaxed around well covered folk! Frankly, I don't know what Popeye The Sailor every saw in Olive Oyl as she was so skinny and obviously didn't have his good eating habits and love of spinach!

Asher