• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Steps and Shadows: fun or sassy, architectural to pastoral

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We seem to be fascinated by stairs and shadows. So why not look at this together and see what pictures we can come up with together!

2010LA NY 5D238STEPS and Shadow _1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Steps and Shadows New York 2010

Now's your turn!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

We seem to be fascinated by stairs and shadows. So why not look at this together and see what pictures we can come up with together!
A very nice theme, thanks for coming up with this one. The idea of escalator picture like yours is one with potential, I hope you will show some more in the future.

I have two immediate pictures to show on this: the first one I have shown a few years back, but then it was in color. This one is in B&W and looks better this way IMO. The second one is a new post processing of a never shown before picture, but I should add that Bart has shown almost the same picture since we were out together for that shoot.

e09762.jpg

f07172.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

20080505-_MG_2754_nyc.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Sidewalk

Ruben,

I figured correctly then! This is a great start and I like the drama and the extra lines as well as the clarity in the pant leg and shoe.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

e09762.jpg

Cem this first one, I have a faint echo in my mind of a picture like this before, but as you mentioned it was in color. This seems new. The revelation of the people above is interesting.

f07172.jpg

This picture, however is seared in my mind. Were the colors this saturated? It could be that fashon for home decorating has changed. I remember when you and Bart visited this village and I felt that I sort of missed out! Maybe when we visit, all of us can go and reshoot in that vicinity! It would be interesting to try in B&W too. Then the colors would be all tones and we might see something dfferent.

Asher

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

...This picture, however is seared in my mind. Were the colors this saturated? It could be that fashon for home decorating has changed. ....
The credit goes to Bart for leaving such a searing impression with his picture of this scene. Mine is the same subject but the pp is of course different. Colors were very saturated in reality but Bart's picture had a very nice tonality to it whereas I had the objective of making it dramatic, contrasty and saturated.

...I remember when you and Bart visited this village and I felt that I sort of missed out! Maybe when we visit, all of us can go and reshoot in that vicinity! It would be interesting to try in B&W too. Then the colors would be all tones and we might see something dfferent.
Asher we would be delighted to have you here as you already know. Unfortunately, the village of Doel has now been partially demolished, some of the houses are gone forever and some others have been locked down. There is still some left but it is a matter of time now. And the few remaining natives can be a bit hostile towards photographers as Bart and I have found out the last time.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi,

I think steps and stairways are great subjects in photography (and art in general) because they easily evoke something to the viewer : a way to access someting different (another level of conscience maybe ?), a way to mystery and unknown, an elevation, an effort to make to climb it, etc... They have great graphical value too.

Cedric.

Asher Kelman

Hi,

I think steps and stairways are great subjects in photography (and art in general) because they easily evoke something to the viewer : a way to access someting different (another level of conscience maybe ?), a way to mystery and unknown, an elevation, an effort to make to climb it, etc... They have great graphical value too.

Cedric.

Cedric,

As always you think of social aspects. I'm sure you have taken pictures with steps and shadows, but I wonder what questions you asked in the pictures.

Je suis sûr que vous avez déjà photographié des escaliers ou des marches avec les ombres. Je suis intéressé par ce que l'histoire de votre images racontaient.

Asher

Some great thoughts and photos of steps here. The marble staircase is arresting, Cem.

Steps are similar to waterfalls as metaphor and photographic subject. As such, both seem to be depicted as ascending more often than not, and this may underscore Cedric's observation.

107500816.jpg

An outdoor rural version. The heavy winter fog didn't allow shadows, but there it is.

janet Smith

pro member

107500816.jpg

Hi Tom

This works so well, the juxtaposition of the hard lines of the stairs, with the softness of the foliage and mist, wonderful, I love it!

Cedric,

As always you think of social aspects. I'm sure you have taken pictures with steps and shadows, but I wonder what questions you asked in the pictures.

Je suis sûr que vous avez déjà photographié des escaliers ou des marches avec les ombres. Je suis intéressé par ce que l'histoire de votre images racontaient.

Asher

Well, i have plenty of pictures with steps and shadows at home, i will search some of them ;)

This is a little one, essentially shot for graphical aspect with b&w film :

cfa84942f215d0cfd9c2d400169cca1.jpg

Graham Harris

When I was out recently I took a similar spiral staircase to Tim, albeit from the bottom up. Also I was lucky someone decided to descend as I was photographing the stairs. Converted to monochrome with silver efex.

Comments welcome

stairs-and-shaddow.jpg

Graham

Asher Kelman

Some great thoughts and photos of steps here. The marble staircase is arresting, Cem.

Steps are similar to waterfalls as metaphor and photographic subject. As such, both seem to be depicted as ascending more often than not, and this may underscore Cedric's observation.

107500816.jpg

An outdoor rural version. The heavy winter fog didn't allow shadows, but there it is.

Tom,

This s so different as the mist makes for a novel paradigm. This our first image including this powerful element. It provides the idea of the unknown, but not as ominous as using darkness. I'd consider a gradient of sharpening and S curve to the rails so that the nearest part would be clearly defined. This will add depth and immediacy. The two vertical rails at the sides could be brilliantly sharp. For this I'd try using a sharpening at something like 12-15 percent and 18 to 36 pixels wide.

Asher

All, thank you for your kind comments.

Graham, that human shadow adds an interesting element!

Cedric, your image made me think of Modotti's Staircase.

Asher, you're absolutely on the money, as usual. The foggy steps shot was from about a year ago, and my approach to sharpening has evolved some since then. I should rework some of the older images, but after losing that microsecond recently, the days are way too short.

Mike Shimwell

Some nice pictures here - Graham, I like the spiral with shadow particularly.

Cedric, as you say the stairs metaphor links in to the path! Perhaps the stairs are at the end of the road...

Anyway, this is a repost and I'll have a look to see I've shot any stairs more recently.

Mike

4119641159_7f7aa24549_o.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

I have found this one to represent graphical values of stairs and shadwos (and colors) :

ae678774db658d16c915caa76e5fb22.jpg

Very interesting Cedric. This guy looks like as if he is floating down above the stairs. And the shadows following the arches of the steps are perfect, well caught :)

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Maybe a little bit different one?

_medium.jpg

Ossi Rami: Two different Worlds

Hi Ossi,

If one is going to go for the underground world then go with gusto and try to reach the nth in effect. Danté didn't hold back and neither should you!

Down to undergroung, Hakaniemi 2009_AK copy.jpg

Ossi Rami: Two different Worlds Edits ADK

Last edited:

Ruben Alfu

Last Sunday I went to do some photos for this challenge and came up with these two that I find interesting.

20100307-_MG_0033.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Mars

20100307-_MG_0041-2-1.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Venus

Asher Kelman

Last Sunday I went to do some photos for this challenge and came up with these two that I find interesting.

20100307-_MG_0033.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Mars

20100307-_MG_0041-2-1.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Venus

Ruben,

You did so well! The first is dramatic the second so deliberately and fashionably modern. This Venus is a long way from the Isles of Greece and the statues of rome. That pointed shoe has purpose and power that only the modern women can demand freely. Just the portion we see says volumes.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Mars vs Venus

Hi Ruben,

I have seen and understand the Venus part but where are the men from Mars in the 1st image? ;-) I had to acclimate to the 1st image TBH. The vertical band in the middle is too overpowering and almost washed out without details. Graphically, it is a very interesting image though. The 2nd image is a real gem, immediately captivating! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

This Venus is a long way from the Isles of Greece and the statues of rome. That pointed shoe has purpose and power that only the modern women can demand freely.

Asher

I drink to that Asher, and thanks for the kind words!

Hi Ruben,

I have seen and understand the Venus part but where are the men from Mars in the 1st image?

It´s a new revelation in couples therapy LOL!

I had to acclimate to the 1st image TBH. The vertical band in the middle is too overpowering and almost washed out without details. Graphically, it is a very interesting image though. The 2nd image is a real gem, immediately captivating! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Thanks so much for commenting Cem, I agree No1 is a little extreme.