• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Got my P 25

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Thanks Leonardo, I thought it was something like that. I heard that it keeps using juice even if you turn it off or something like that, looking forward to some comparisons ;-)

Eric Michelson

Hi Leonardo-

Congratulations on your new P 25. It is a great piece of work. Make sure you have the latest firmware in it. Check the firmware version against the web page. The latest firmware improves already superior results at long exposure times.

There should be no drain on the battery at all if you turn it off. If you do turn it off and then remove the battery you will have to turn it back on after you reinsert the battery. If you turn it off by removing the battery the back will start up as soon as the battery is replaced. If memory serves a fully charged battery on a P 25 will give you about 1800 captures. That might be more exposures than the AA batteries that the M645AFD provides.

For all you other folks inquiring about used backs, Phase One has a very agressive upgrade policy for their exisiting users which means that there should be plenty of used ones around. I know all this because I was the support manager in the Phase One NY office. And I don't, alas, get any commisions.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

Can you share with us where one finds the used backs and what the price structure might be? (If it's secret, then send it to me by PM!!)

Also how aggressive is the trade up policy? is it worth buying a knocked about unit on Ebay and using that as a trade-in?

Asher

Eric Michelson

The best way to find a used back is to locate a dealer near you. Phase One doesn't publish dealer names on their websites but does publish the phone numbers of ASM's which is located here.. http://phaseone.com/Global/Dealers/HardwareDealersMap/North America.aspx

Alternatively you could call the office in melville at 631-547-8900 and dial extension 126 for my pal Robert. He is the incoming and outgoing telemarketer, a heck of a tennis player, who also, btw, will soon be marekting an herbal hair restorative! Robert can point you in the direction of a dealer. Absolutely drop my name! It won't get you a further discount by maybe a small laugh!

Buying a back on ebay is not a bad idea but it's an unknown proposition. We had one case where UPS lost a customer's back, made no attempt to find the owner or contact us for help and sold it to their liquidator. The liquidator put it on ebay, but we found out about it and got it back.. Honestly it's better to buy from a dealer because of the warranty on the back and the support they will offer.

The "agressive upgrade" policy I refer to is only available to people who bought from Phase One dealers. There is some fine print, I don't know all of it and things change. Always best to contact a dealer, Robert, or one of Phase One's reps.

Last I heard, Phase One was selling pre-owned P 20's (16MP square sensor) for around $8K. I think a new P 21 <http://phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P%2021.aspx> is not that much more.