• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First shoot with a model

Sydney Rester

The backstory: I connected with a hair and make-up artist here in Austin who is also trying to build her portfolio. She really liked my work so we decided to try a shoot. I was very nervous at first, having never directed anyone solo. But Melissa had done some modeling, and my jovial husband came along to be my assistant so we got off to a good start and had a good shoot. Kira, the stylist, absolutely loves what I took (she was going for feminine and romantic) but I figured I'd post here and get brought back down to earth :)

FWIW, here's one of the pictures. 135L (as almost always)

996803906_43pk9-XL.jpg

Melissa F​

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Sydney,
Nicely done! There certainly is a nostagic essence to the image.
The model has a look that would lend well to a series of photos, maybe capturing a '40s period.
Good job and thanks for sharing.

Sydney Rester

996803357_J7taZ-XL.jpg

Sydney,

This is so remarkable in the lighting, especially for someone who only recently got their 135mm lens! Are you using flash now and if so what's your set up?

Asher

Thank you, Asher! This was lit with my Speedlight 430EX only, on camera I had a reflector with me but we weren't using it on these shots.

I just ordered some equipment, very basic, to get started with OCF. Can't wait!

HI, I love these shots, really...May I ask you if I can make a try on some retouching, and I'll post them here?...Trying to respect the 40's look. Just to see what I'm able to do.

Sydney Rester

HI, I love these shots, really...May I ask you if I can make a try on some retouching, and I'll post them here?...Trying to respect the 40's look. Just to see what I'm able to do.

Thank you, and that would be fine. I'd love to see your edits. I really struggle with post processing. I would love to see another take.

Joachim Bolte

15n0eo3.jpg

In RGB, I applied the green channel to a copy of the picture, put it in luminocity mode. Then converted to Lab-mode to enhance the colors and get rid of the reddish glow that's on her skin. Upped the contrast a little, and converted back to RGB.

Because of the green-channel boost, the lips are quite red now, It's always possible to tone them down a bit if you don't like that.