• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Memorials to War: Helpful or They Just Glorify the Carnage by Making victims, Heros!?

Martin Evans

Martin commented here on Cem's pictures of the German Bunkers of World War II in Holland. The remark, "Disturbing images to someone of my generation." told me that, perhaps, there was something to learn from the impact and significance of that simple statement. So I thought this might be of interestto discuss further on it's own ADK

Disturbing images to someone of my generation.

I am content that you did not tidy up the plastic bottles and other detritus. To me, these are part of the atmosphere of such a site. You say that the bunker is open to the public. Maybe this accounts for it being relatively free of mess. I am sorry to say that in Britain it would probably stink of faeces and be much more cluttered by rubbish including the evidence of drug taking.

It is good that a few examples of these specimens of brutal functional construction are preserved here and there.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Disturbing images to someone of my generation.

Martin,

That it has this effect on so much more than the folks that came after us, shows perhaps that we, as a society, do not teach the lessons of war, just forgetting about it all. Meanwhile our industries prepare for the next one!

Don't you think that such bunkers should be part of a network of well funded museums where school children would visit and learn what really happens to us when we regress to organized columns of killing machines.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Martin,

Don't you think that such bunkers should be part of a network of well funded museums where school children would visit and learn what really happens to us when we regress to organized columns of killing machines.

Asher

Asher,

that is what we have become "organized columns of killing machines" in my opinion.. The horrors of ww2 have been visited since on mainland Europe and else where ... making museums of old buildings only servers to keep the status quo blind to the realities that are inflicted on others in their name..

sorry this should be on another thread?

Cem - one of these buildings is not enough - I found the images that give the context (outside) less engaging than the portal type. More I say!

cheers

Asher Kelman

Asher,

that is what we have become "organized columns of killing machines" in my opinion.. The horrors of ww2 have been visited since on mainland Europe and else where ... making museums of old buildings only servers to keep the status quo blind to the realities that are inflicted on others in their name..

sorry this should be on another thread?

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure that's true. The World War II Concentration Camps of Dachau, Auschwitz and hundreds more scattered over Europe are represented by a few where the buildings serve to really educate new generations to the horrors of militarism and excesses of national pride and xenophobia.

From World War I, there's a graveyard of mostly Australian and New Zealand warriors who died in the disastrous Allied invasion of Gallipoli in Western Turkey. Kemal Ataturk, the father of the modern Turkish State, spoke eloquently of the fallen men. His wisdom saw the tragedy of it all. That alone makes the memorial worthy of being on the tourist map. Such museums make sense if one is prepared to read the messages.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I don't see Cem's images as memorializing or celebrating war. If anything, they tell us that the tsunami of time washes all slates clean, returns everything to the Earth.

The hundreds of bunkers and pillboxes that demark 20th century battle zones memorialize unimaginative, dull-witted defense strategies against equally dull-witted strategic egotists. Cem shows us that even the relatively brief 65 years since WWII has seen these massively fortified installation begin turning into cereal boxes.

Cem's images of these sites also make me long for a time when "war" was so simple, when there was clarity of offensive and defensive purpose, when "armies" both wore uniforms. It won't happen again.

Asher Kelman

Cem's images of these sites also make me long for a time when "war" was so simple, when there was clarity of offensive and defensive purpose, when "armies" both wore uniforms. It won't happen again.

Ken,

You nostalgia is touching. Still, even nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

For the very best wars, the one's in medieval England and France, the armies stopped for the evening and then might even have some officers of the other side as guests for a banquet dinner. At dawn, the armies, resplendent in their uniforms, reformed battle lines and following signals from the generals of each side, safely on hilltops, butchered each other once more!

In Southern Africa, when the Dutch and English colonists were competing with each other for territory and both coming up against Zulu and other tribes migrating southwards, they often tried to skirt one another's positions to grab more land, since there was a lot to be had.

The Zulus had their own fights. They would have regular wars with neighboring tribes, but their swords and clubs were inefficient and to a great extent ceremonial. Then came along one warrior with an efficient shorter thrusting-stabbing sword and he went about actually slaughtering the other side to the horror of the watching tribal elders. However, he did manage to unite many tribes under him.

Wild animals often don't fight to the death, just mostly size each other up and then the vanquished backs off.

We have a lot to learn.

Asher

Mark Hampton

I don't see Cem's images as memorializing or celebrating war. If anything, they tell us that the tsunami of time washes all slates clean, returns everything to the Earth.

Ken, I agree - for me the images I liked didn’t do this - the talked about decay through time over the possibility of progress through the opening into another space - this may be nothing to do with Cem or the work and is only what I think... as a reader of images that is my prerogative ... (BTW my enter key is burst !!) I think of J Olley’s ‘Modern Castles of Northern Ireland' is an interesting touchstone... Asher... after 75 years and millions spent on museums to the 2nd world war we are still in the same right wing place ... power does not learn ... it consumes and makes fools of the dead for entertainment.... (don’t you love the enter button)... sorry for the rant!! ----- bloody button!!

Asher Kelman

Asher... after 75 years and millions spent on museums to the 2nd world war we are still in the same right wing place ... power does not learn ... it consumes and makes fools of the dead for entertainment.... (don’t you love the enter button)... sorry for the rant!! ----- bloody button!!

I'm not sure that's totally true. I make an effort to talk to young people in such museums and feel that, to them, at least, the effort to use the buildings to teach, is really educational. We cannot just leave it to the militarists to glorify war and the heros they make out of unwilling victims.

I am a pragmatic optimist.

Asher

Martin Evans

Glorification of war?

As Asher has used my unguarded comment on Cem's photographs in the bunker to get this thread running, I feel that I must come back and comment. Please note that, as a new member, I am hesitant to do so.

To begin with, I feel that Cem was using the interesting textures and forms which he found inside the old WW2 bunker just to create good images. I may have misunderstood, but I don't feel that he was trying to make any historical/ethical points about the bunker as an image of WW2 - though he did comment on the visual brutalism. Forgive me if I have misunderstood - my wife says that I am autistic and cannot understand emotions properly!

Do war memorials glorify war? Well, at one time they probably did, or at least were intended to glorify victory - not quite the same thing. I am thinking primarily of Trafalgar Square in London, named after Admiral Nelson's critical victory. His statue overlooks the Square from atop his column, at the base of which are 4 lions, cast (it is said) from captured enemy guns. In the Square are statues of King George and a couple of generals who are now only remembered by historians. When Trafalgar Square was created it was undoubtedly meant to celebrate victory in war, but now it is just a place where Londoners come to party on special nights or rally in political protest meetings. There is one empty plinth, originally intended for a fourth statue of some military hero. After a vigorous campaign a couple of years ago, a temporary statue of Sir Keith Park, the RAF officer who successfully controlled the air defences of London and the south-east during the Battle of Britain, was allowed to occupy the 'fourth plinth' for 6 months, before the empty plinth again reverted to being a place for transient displays of modern art.

The directors of virtually all war museums will strenuously deny that their museum 'glorifies war'. The present attitudes are to emphasize the waste and suffering of war - even though a museum full of tanks, guns and aircraft may be quite exciting to schoolboys not yet mature enough to know of the suffering.

Some buildings are deliberately preserved as memorials of the destruction. At Auschwitz-Birkenau there is an emphasis on the human scale of the suffering, as may also be the case at most of the other memorials to the Holocaust. Other iconic buildings serve also as reminders of the physical destruction of precious heritage: the Genbaku Dome in the Peace Memorial at Hiroshima, the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirke ruins in Berlin and the ruins of St Michael's, the Old Coventry Cathedral.

In the case of WW2 bunkers, like the one that Cem used for his photography, there is a grey area of passive preservation. It is right that major installations like these, and the Nazi Army's great gun emplacements along the Atlantic coast of Europe, should be preserved and used to help young people understand our violent past. But is is a grey area, because many of these massive concrete and steel structures survive just because it is not worth the trouble of demolishing such bomb-resistant bunkers, etc. The countryside of much of Europe and elsewhere is still littered with little bunkers that are a bit of a nuisance to farmers, etc, but too difficult to demolish. Now there is a move to record, and in some cases, to preserve these minor relics of war. In Britain there are two major groups who are recording as many of these smaller bunkers and other defensive works as possible, and their web-sites include many photographs of these "pill-boxes" and similar structures that are classed as "hardened field defences" in an excellent article in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_hardened_field_defences_of_World_War_II
The British groups that are recording and photographing these and other bunker-type remnants are:
http://www.pillboxesuk.co.uk/
and
http://www.pillbox-study-group.org.uk/sitemappage.htm
Each of these groups have a large archive of photographs - but they are technical records of our wartime past, and not 'art' photography, which I believe is the primary interest of OPF.

For the very best wars, the one's in medieval England and France, the armies stopped for the evening and then might even have some officers of the other side as guests for a banquet dinner. At dawn, the armies, resplendent in their uniforms, reformed battle lines and following signals from the generals of each side, safely on hilltops, butchered each other once more!
Asher

Alas, Asher, you have a rose-tinted view of mediaeval warfare: the story of knightly chivalry that we were all taught in school. I am currently reading Barbara Tuchman's brilliant review of the horrors of the fourteenth century: "A Distant Mirror". It is clear that knightly chivalry was a brutal self-centred pride in which the nobility despised the commoner. The battle of Poiters was an English victory only because the French nobility refused to let the common hired crossbowmen fire at the Engish, for fear that it would impair the honour due to the French knights and nobles when they went into the battle. If any mutual honour was shown, it was only to other nobles with whom one (temporarily) wanted to have good relations with. Page 8: "These private wars were fought by the knights with furious gusto and a single strategy, which consisted in trying to ruin the enemy by killing or maiming as many of his peasants and destroying as many crops, vineyards, tools, barns, and other possessions as possible, thereby reducing his sources of revenue. As a result the chief victim of the belligerents was their respective peasantry. Abbot Guibert claimed that in the mad war of Enguerrand against the Lorrainer, captured men had their eyes put out and feet cut off with results that could still be seen in the district in his time." Tuchman's fine, and very readable, book is full of examples of the barbarism that was an essential part of knightly 'chivalry' in the middle ages.

Sorry to witter on with this digression. It is a huge topic, big enough for a book or an international symposium. I am not at all sure that it is appropriate for OPF. Forgive me.

Martin