• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The incredible kindness of OPF!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I would like to spend a few minutes expressing my gratitude to the wonderful people here at OPF.

Of late I have been going through numerous problems. My wedding business has been dying and my health, already subject to some serious issues took a downward turn with a nasty broken wrist from a fall at a wedding coupled with a significant deterioration in my other health problems. I had also undergone eye surgery for chronic condition which has until this year been uncureable. This has been a tough year.

Asher has been like a father to me throughout with his kindness behind the scenes, he was the first to catch on that my sales of sigificant amounts of equipment spelt trouble. However his was not the only emails and PM's I recieved asking if everything was ok and if there was anything that could be done to help. A member here even posted up one of my ad's on a different forum and has been actively trying to help me with sales!

I met with Asher recently and for the first time discovered he was a doctor and not only that a very accomplished one! I had been shy of discussing my problems with him in detail until then but when I found out (by chance) his profession, I felt able to tell him all. Not only did he give me some extremely useful immediate medical advice which I have already put into action but his offers of help and suggestions have given me a ray of hope into a dark pit of dispair which had been mine for two decades.

Recently I posted a thread here discussing a project I'd taken on, mostly as charity, for a college for disadvantaged youth coming from broken homes and drug backgrounds. I was having trouble with the virtual tours they had asked me to do to be used on their website specifically to encourage future students to see what an incredible place it was. The response here was as always, more than helpful!

I could not begin to believe it when Asher told me that an individual had anonymously donated a panoramic head to me to help me with the project and to help me to get into virtual tours as a possible career move. It was however true and Asher donated the shipping and sent it out to me here in Jerusalem and I'll be shooting with it next week in the college, hopefully on Monday.

The kindness of this individual in this donation will help these wonderful kids but has also helped me immensely. I cannot begin to thank him/her enough.

Now you are probably thinking that OPF is a pretty good place with some incredible people. It gets better though. Jaw droppingly better. Unbelieveably better.

Asher sent me a PM this week saying that another anonymous individual had decided to donate a lens of my choice to me up to a large amount of money. I have to admit that I couldn't believe it again! However someone here had decided that I was worth investing in to a huge degree! Asher had offered to again pay the shipping but as I'm back in the UK anyway and the prices these days are almost the same, to avoid import taxes I bought a Sigma 8mm Fisheye lens there yesterday. This lens together with the panohead are pretty much all I need to launch a new career in offering Virtual Tours to realtors, building contractors and the like for the new year to supplement my waning wedding photography business. The lens was more than the amount promised by my benefactor and although I had said I would, Asher covered the difference.

Helping someone out with advice, with the loan of equipment is one thing. Someone donating a new lens, it's just mindblowing. I wish I could meet this incredible person so I could look into the eyes and shake the hand of someone with a heart and soul that is just pure good.

I am speechless. I do not have the words to describe my gratitude, on behalf of these incredible kids but more so, much more so on behalf of myself. In an age where everyone is only looking out for number 1, the selfless generosity, through word and action, of the good folks at OPF, of these anonymous giants among the human race and of course of the man behind it all, Asher, cannot be lightly written down or expressed.

To all of you, from the depths of my heart. Thank you, thank you OPF!

Rachel Foster

Yes, I have also experienced Asher's kindness in abundance. He truly is a mensch. It goes without saying that if I can ever be of help to him, it's done.

Ben wrote:To all of you, from the depths of my heart. Thank you, thank you OPF!

You know what: People are kind to you because you seem kind yourself. None is afraid to be kind with you. That's the share of kindness and wisdom. Not everybody is like that. In a sense, you probably more than deserve it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, I have also experienced Asher's kindness in abundance. He truly is a mensch. It goes without saying that if I can ever be of help to him, it's done.

It's the people at OPF who are self-selected according to values. I'm just here too. The greatest praise should go to the benefactor who provided the money for the lens. That generosity is so rare and exemplary. Giving of one's one bread to others without expectation of recognition is the highest from of gifting. That comes from solid family values and teachings.

Having empathy and kindness in and outside this community is at the core set of values of this community.

Everybody helps according to their means. Sharing pictures is trusting others. Giving feedback is returning it.

Asher

Rachel Foster

And your graciousness is exceeded only by your modesty. The Christmas holidays have transcended the Christian religion to become a cultural event that symbolizes kindness and consideration for others, a sense of shared humanity and the value of expressing appreciation and affection for others.

In that spirit, Asher, I wish you and everyone at OPF a very, merry Christmas.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It''s important to put in perspective the pretty selfless contributions many folk make here. Some photographers show work that we cannot compete with and give advice from a knowledge base that is unusually rich. They too have little expectation of payback beyond the satisfaction of sharing knowledge, impressions and judgement with others who will appreciate the help and stimulation.

I would like to thank all of you for your generosity and that should be a reminder to those who just lurk, to take a risk, spend some good energy and contribute too.

Our best wishes to everyone here and your families. Make the most of your loved ones and those who will spend time with you. Time flies so your good deeds and great photography should not be put off!

Happy Holidays

Asher

I am a non believer, I usually frown upon the simple idea of religion, but, this is so true that in every religion even the oddest ones there is some place to value the human being as a being of goodness. People are afraid of that sometimes because there is too many examples of ones taking advantage of the kindness of others. I believe that these are just exceptions and that we tend to remember only the bad times when we think of helping others. We, sometimes have to stop worrying about our self-indulgent closed world and open up the door to those in need, most of the time it doesn't cost any money just attention...

I wish you all a very prosperous year 2011 because that is transcending all religious beliefs :)

pepe-le-pew.jpg_thumb.jpg

Best wishes from Pepe le Pew

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
These have in common values of
Profound indeed. The wisdom of the aged. Oops - I guess that is ages.

In any case, to all the wonderful folks in OPF, a major and wonderful part of my family, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (no asterisks, refinements, limitations, qualifications, justifications, or explanations attached).

Doug and Carla

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

Le crayon rouge ne dort jamais.

"The red pencil never sleeps", the copy editor's mantra.

Best regards,

Doug

This is a very old fashion and at the same time a very odd (nearly an English style humour) movie... Few people of the young generation including mine (even though MATURE :) ) knows it. This song is an old times French favourite, the rest of the movie is well....quite different, completely nuts to be honest.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
This is a very old fashion and at the same time a very odd (nearly an English style humour) movie... Few people of the young generation including mine (even though MATURE :) ) knows it. This song is an old times French favourite, the rest of the movie is well....quite different, completely nuts to be honest.

Are you saying that you are a young generation Sadrine? I'm confused..

Fortunately for me, I am born with the no-wrinkle gene. I've been chased by Ecuadorian mad doctors, the CIA spies me. Even Carla (not yours, ours) wants to know my secret. So I can hide my age when it pleases or reveal it, and make the skinnier girls jealous :) .

And the Bingo rhyme says that: 40, life begins at!

I just experienced myself this kindness
I wish all of us, including me could spread on the joy and sharing....
What a nice way to start a new year...
I Wish you all very well!
I think I am starting to cry....:)