• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: Capture One 6, Lens Cast Correction (LCC)

Hi folks,

Phase One recently released their version 6 of the Capture One Raw converter. Besides a number of totally new features, there is a feature that was previously only available to owners of a Phase One digital camera back. That feature, the LCC, apparently is now unlocked for owners of other digital cameras.

What is an LCC? An LCC is processing with an additional file taken at certain shooting conditions, that allows to correct a few shortcomings in (more specifically) captures with digital sensor arrays. The most difficult one to correct is a gradual color change towards the periphery of the sensor array, where the angles of incident rays of light is more oblique than in the image center. That color change is caused by a gradual disconnect between the Red and Blue response versus the Green response, due to reflection and shading effects of the sensor geometry.

In addition, the LCC allows to correct for vignetting and light fall-off, and it can help with fixing some of the effects of dust on our sensors.

An LCC file is created by taking an additional exposure of a given scene setup, with the same focus distance, aperture, and ISO / settings, but with a white sheet of diffusing material held in front of the lens. One can use opal glass or white acrylic plastic.

That additional file is then used during the Raw conversion of other captures, to model the light and color non-uniformity across the Field of View for that given shooting situation.

The interesting thing is that, in addition to its intended use, the feature can be slightly misused to accomplish a few other useful effects or workflow speed-ups.

1. When used with reproductions of flat objects, one can compensate for uneven lighting to something like 1/128th EV accuracy (http://blog.phaseone.com/2010/10/21/flat-art-reproduction/).
2. When used for products shots that later need to be masked out from the background, the background can be equalized to almost a single RGB value, thus making the job of masking extremely easy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z1_kutjsFo).
3. It can even be used to function as an HDR tonemapping tool for locally reducing the scene dynamic range (http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/12/28/hdr-via-lcc/).
4. There will probably pop up some other creative (ab)uses of the functionality.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Hi folks,

Phase One recently released their version 6 of the Capture One Raw converter. Besides a number of totally new features, there is a feature that was previously only available to owners of a Phase One digital camera back. That feature, the LLC, apparently is now unlocked for owners of other digital cameras.

Curious that Lens Cast Correction would have the abbreviation LLC? (Maybe that's the initials for the name of the feature in Swedish.)

Best regards

Doug

Curious that Lens Cast Correction would have the abbreviation LLC? (Maybe that's the initials for the name of the feature in Swedish.)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for spotting my (albeit consistent) typo. The correct acronym is LCC (Lens Cast Correction), and I've corrected my initial post. I don't have someone like your Carla to do my proof reading, so thanks for spotting it.

Cheers,
Bart