• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A city trip to Lisbon

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

I haven't posted pictures for a while as I haven't been shooting much (due to being extremely busy and the usual lack of inspiration). A few weeks ago we went to Lisbon, Portugal for a couple of days. It was a great time out and we have enjoyed ourselves a lot. I even ended up taking some pictures eventually. Here are some which I dare share with you. I hope you shall enjoy them. C&C is welcome.

f36362.jpg

f36380.jpg

f36376.jpg

f36395.jpg

Cheers,

continued...

f36666.jpg

Hi Cem,

They are all so nice, for different reasons (different subjects/situations).

This last one caught my attention in particular, it gave the impression of a painting (due to the wall structure), but it's a photo without an artificial painterly filter effect added. Composition is immaculate.

As I said, there's something (different) to love in each of the other images. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bart,

Hi Cem,

They are all so nice, for different reasons (different subjects/situations).

This last one caught my attention in particular, it gave the impression of a painting (due to the wall structure), but it's a photo without an artificial painterly filter effect added. Composition is immaculate.

As I said, there's something (different) to love in each of the other images. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot for stopping by. That picture is one of my favorites from this set for the reasons you have stated and also due to the quality of the light: the warm artificial light is just mingling with the cool blue of the twilight setting in.

As a matter of fact, there are various subsets in this thread as you can see. The first post is about simplifying pictures and directing the attention of the lookers by making use of an extreme tilt along the vertical axis. So tell me please, did I achieve that goal? What else can I do to improve the results while avoiding the pitfall of becoming gimmicky?

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Paul,

I like your first image Cem, that thing has some presence.

f36362.jpg

Yes indeed. This was a huge metal globe which appeared as if it was floating in mid air. The free flowing "ribbons" under the globe were in fact also metal and supported the structure thus creating the floating effect. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

I am just off to spain - belated honeymoon - This stopped me in my tracks. I am no longer going to spain ;)

The work you have shown here is beautiful and intriguing. Thanks for posting. Will catch up when I am back.

cheers
Hi Mark,

I wish you both lots of fun on your belated honeymoon, enjoy yourselves. :)
We'll talk about the pictures when you come back, thanks for commenting in any case.

Cheers,

In all these I love the neat simplicity (the APPARENT neat simplicity), I am a great fan and I I always be. I like that you play with the DoF, is it something new to you? There's always an opening in your images, I like that, somewhere to go further, the frame isn't a limit.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sandrine,

In all these I love the neat simplicity (the APPARENT neat simplicity), I am a great fan and I I always be. I like that you play with the DoF, is it something new to you? There's always an opening in your images, I like that, somewhere to go further, the frame isn't a limit.
Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate it. I always liked playing with the DoF but it is not practical when one is shooting with (ultra)wide angle lenses because everything tends to be in focus even at wide open apertures. Since last year I have a 24mm tilt and shift lens which opens up lots of creative possibilities. Now I can shoot with an extreme tilting of the lens to limit the focal plane to a small strip and the results look like in the first 4 pictures in this thread. Of course, I can achieve similar results using photoshop on any regular picture but being able to do this while shooting and not in the post is quite a nice feeling, lol. As I wrote in another thread yesterday, I am trying to achieve simplicity in my pictures, I am glad that I seem to be getting some results. My motto is, make it as simple as possible but not simpler (quote by A. Einstein).

Re. the presence of an opening in my images, I think that you are right although I do not make a conscious effort for that. Inherently, I must be biased towards it and that in turn influences my decisions as to what to photograph and how to photograph them. But it is a very astute observation on your part, thank you for putting it into words. You have certainly made me understand myself a bit better by doing so.

Cheers,

There's always two things that I see in your pictures:

The openings
and/or
The use of different planes, It's never quite flat.
Sometimes it's like- let's say- stage props, the planes are not "real" planes all the times, like in the woman/mirror image, but it's hard for me to tell these things in English.

Edit: I just found out what I wanted to say, it's all about perspective: perspective inducted by different planes at different angles/position.

Perspective is not always shown by objects smaller in the background and bigger in the foreground (like in a two point perspective) but also my what's in front, at the back of the main subject and the interaction of the different lines.
the smaller ones are not necessarily on the back, you still know what's on the back and on the front...Hope it makes sense. :)
eg:
GizaPyramids.jpg