• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Eiffel Tower

ron_hiner

Perhaps the most photographed subject in the world... 31,500,000 hits in google image search. Anyone want to take it on?
I went there last summer and my eyes caught the crowd with their thousands of p&s cameras flashing up at the tower... in retrospect, that was the picture. Alas, I pointed my camera up as well.

Cem_Usakligil

... Alas, I pointed my camera up as well.
Alas, me too.

f38299.jpg

ron_hiner

Here are a few of mine....

hinerr_110820_0042.jpg
hinerr_110819_0044.jpg
hinerr_110820_0134.jpg
hinerr_110820_0147.jpg
hinerr_110819_0070.jpg

Comments are welcome and appreciated~

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

ron_hiner

Asher... both shots were shot from the top of L'Arc de Triomphe. Both shots were taken with a 24 PCE lens -- I've got a lot more tilt going in the nighttime shots to blur the foreground... sadly, I didn't quite nail the focus on the Eiffel Tower.
Ron

Last edited:
Here's the Eiffel tower from the top of the Fifth

This Eiffel-beam shot is from the 24th floor of the center tower in the Jussieux campus of the Paris 6 University (correctly called Universite Pierre et Marie Curie now). The Tour Montparnasse (about 40 stories) is at the left and the dome in the middle is probably the tomb of Napoleon, but I'm not sure.

L4010118small.jpg

The Eiffel tower covers itself with sparkling lights every hour for about five minutes, but I have never gotten a picture that shows that off well. It is surrounded in the evening by crowds looking at the lights and by crowds of toy-hawkers sending up colorful lighted feathery flying things. All potential subjects for my next visit. If you are up in the tower at night you realize that the rotating beam comes from four sets of lights, that overlap at the corners. At each corner there is an instant when a pair of beams are simultaneously visible. Capturing this is a real test of your timing skill, as it lasts about a quarter second or less.

scott

Jerome Marot

the dome in the middle is probably the tomb of Napoleon

It is (Les invalides is the name).

Nice picture, but maybe it could be cropped to a panorama: the sky is mostly empty. The horizon should probably also be straightened. And if you can go back to the place, it may be worth trying just around sunset. This is the time when one already has the illuminations but there is still enough natural light to give details of the buildings.

It is (Les invalides is the name).

Nice picture, but maybe it could be cropped to a panorama: the sky is mostly empty. The horizon should probably also be straightened. And if you can go back to the place, it may be worth trying just around sunset. This is the time when one already has the illuminations but there is still enough natural light to give details of the buildings.

You can remove as much of the sky as you like. The picture was taken from a space used for receptions, and I only spent a few moments photographing (as did many others) once the sky had darkened. Before then there were too many interesting people to talk with... The shot was made with the camera pressed against the glass to hold it steady and eliminate reflections, so keeping it level was hard. Leveling the horizon would cost me some detail at the bottom (Blvd Ste. Germaine) that I like. The real answer, as you suggest, is to get access to the roof, bring a tripod and more than one lens, and spend a few hours exploring the possibilities of different lights and the views in multiple directions.

scott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This Eiffel-beam shot is from the 24th floor of the center tower in the Jussieux campus of the Paris 6 University (correctly called Universite Pierre et Marie Curie now). The Tour Montparnasse (about 40 stories) is at the left and the dome in the middle is probably the tomb of Napoleon, but I'm not sure.

L4010118small.jpg

The Eiffel tower covers itself with sparkling lights every hour for about five minutes, but I have never gotten a picture that shows that off well. It is surrounded in the evening by crowds looking at the lights and by crowds of toy-hawkers sending up colorful lighted feathery flying things. All potential subjects for my next visit. If you are up in the tower at night you realize that the rotating beam comes from four sets of lights, that overlap at the corners. At each corner there is an instant when a pair of beams are simultaneously visible. Capturing this is a real test of your timing skill, as it lasts about a quarter second or less.

scott

There's no question here, Scott, that the subject includes the Eiffel Tower. It royally shines over Paris at night. This is one of the most delightful innovations to the century old tower.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The Eiffel tower also is sometimes just an orientating and familiar landmark in the skyline. This last new year, I had the opportunity to stay in an apartment 6 floors up above the Seine in Paris. There were windows all around with wrought Iron balconies on two sides, one overlooked the seine and the other the Louvre Gallery.

Standing on the balcony looking out to the left was the Pont Neuf and to the right at the end of the skyline, the grand Eiffel Tower. In between there are rows of fine buildings over the river, a grass and tree covered promontory of the Île de la Cité where lovers would meet, and the Seine busy with lit tour boats and rugged gigantic commercial freight barges.

[Group 1]-_MG_8382__MG_8405-17 images_0001_1200x159pixels.jpg

Asher Kelman: Pont Neuf to Eiffel Tower From My Window #1

I also wanted to give more of a sense of my viewpoint from the balcony:

[Group 3]-_MG_8395__MG_8404-9 images 1264x3896 cropped 1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: Pont Neuf to Eiffel Tower From My Window #2

Asher Kelman

Have you challenged yourself with the most photographed tower in the world and come out with something new too?

A big challenge but there's an enormous number of possibilities for all of us.... I wager you have them in a shoe box or a hard drive!

Asher