Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Reflections! Snaps with the Ricoh GXR 50mm 2.5 Macro APS-C Module Part 2

I realized that shop windows are not just fashioned by the talented window designer. The refections on the glass of everything in front of those windows, complicates the presentation. We just purposely ignore the reflections ,as it's usually far to much information to deal with. However the complex images are always there, superimposed on what really is there!

Asher Kelman: Paris Street Fashion #1

Asher Kelman: Paris Street Fashion #2

Asher Kelman: Paris Street Fashion #3

Asher Kelman: Paris Street Fashion #4

Your C&C welcomed!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM

The living dead! Imagine a head on the mannequins and you have infinite combinations.

Excellent theme, skillfully explored. Better than scarves in Paris, no? The ones in SoCal are an imitation.

Best.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
The living dead! Imagine a head on the mannequins and you have infinite combinations.

Excellent theme, skillfully explored. Better than scarves in Paris, no? The ones in SoCal are an imitation.

Best.
Fahim,

Thanks for visiting my work. These are composed as you see them and this is not created with layers, filters, just shot the way it is and then minor adjustments that's all. The pictures are essentially as delivered from the camera. doing this has opened up my mind to other possibilities. I wanted to photograph Paris in a ay that has my own fingerprints on it and to explore ways of expressing pieces of Paris with it's milieu. Fashion is such a key part of Paris. People might have hard lives, but they dress with style and once of twice a year manage to buy something fabulous. I have tried to discover images where the reflections meet the manequins, bringing together the street with the models that seduce folk to buy more clothes.

Manaquins make excellent subjects. They do not arrive late, complain that one is taking too long or demand food or a rest!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Hi Asher,

It's great to see your series developing. This group is evidently more cohesive and focused in concept. The other focus, the optical, is placed on the reflections, except for the photo #3, this gives the mannequins a mysterious or nostalgic character, as if they were longing to shine their clothes out on the streets!

Regards,

Ruben
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Alfu View Post
Hi Asher,

It's great to see your series developing. This group is evidently more cohesive and focused in concept. The other focus, the optical, is placed on the reflections, except for the photo #3, this gives the mannequins a mysterious or nostalgic character, as if they were longing to shine their clothes out on the streets!
Thanks Ruben,

I am paying more attention to discovering what we really see and what we choose to avoid seeing. This visit to Paris has been a great exercise and together with renewing friendships and museum visits has re-energized my ideas and motivations for new work.

Asher

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:38 AM

That last one is great, very alive!
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
That last one is great, very alive!
Ben,

Thanks for the visit and comment.I like the idea that in the last one she seems to have exited the window and become a person in the street. So your expressions, "very alive" is valuable to hear.

Asher

Old January 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Hello Asher.

I like that you found a theme to make a series with in your adventures.
The dark and brooding skies work very well reflected against the faceless mannequins.
I think you choose a great time of day here.
The balance of the light outside vs the light inside is just right.
I particularly like Paris Street Fashion #3

This is a contrast from part 1 of the series which is much brighter midday shots for the most part.
In that group I am drawn to the Bus near the Louvre picture.
I like that you have not only a great reflection down the street, but it's a moving reflection on top of that.
The what looks like post produced blur of the background, I wonder if the picture could do with out.
That or more attention payed to making it blend with the scene better.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie chipman View Post
Hello Asher.

I like that you found a theme to make a series with in your adventures.
The dark and brooding skies work very well reflected against the faceless mannequins.
I think you choose a great time of day here.
The balance of the light outside vs the light inside is just right.
I particularly like Paris Street Fashion #3

This is a contrast from part 1 of the series which is much brighter midday shots for the most part.
In that group I am drawn to the Bus near the Louvre picture.
I like that you have not only a great reflection down the street, but it's a moving reflection on top of that.
The what looks like post produced blur of the background, I wonder if the picture could do with out.
That or more attention payed to making it blend with the scene better.
'
Thanks for the feedback, Charlie.

There has been no photoshop work! I'm trying to do that in the picture taking stage!

Asher