• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Op de wadden

Jerome,

These are so interesting and beautiful. What is this, low tide? They seem to be able to walk for miles and almost give the impression of walking on water.

And that gorgeous blue, that looks like Prussian blue dabbed with white? I would love more information about where and what this is.

Thanks for sharing,
Maggie

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Someone pulled the plug out, Jerome. I'm assuming it comes in fast as well. Reminds me of here. 7m tides over a distance of 5 km. A bit spooky really.
Love the shots.

Jerome Marot

Thank you all for your kind comments. Yes, this is low tide and the intertidal mudflat at the north of the Netherlands. At low tide, one can actually walk to the islands north of the country.

It is a very strange landscape, shaped both by nature and by human use.

More pictures:

Even more pictures:

Oh, Jerome, more great pics. The top one has a very flat quality like a lithograph or an ink drawing. I really like the post-processing on that one, quite unique feel. The boat and birds really really stand out with their strong contrast against the bland sky.

And that seal, oh my, He looks so sad with his big eyes and muddy paws and face. Poor thing. I imagine this happens all the time and that he is not in danger. Hopefully.

Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying this series.
Maggie

Jerome Marot

And that seal, oh my, He looks so sad with his big eyes and muddy paws and face. Poor thing. I imagine this happens all the time and that he is not in danger. Hopefully.

Young seals cannot move on ground, so when they are stranded they just have to wait for the next tide to come. His mother was waiting in the sea a few meters away.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Even more pictures:

Jerome Marrot: Stranded Seal Pup!

Jerome,

I was still considering how to respond to all the beauty you shared. I should have made my comments earlier. Now this little fellow has grabbed my attention. Empathy for the mother waiting for the tide to return her pup overrides all the other experience you share with us. Here nature shows beauty but there's an edge of real danger that we feel.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

This picture is most unusual. It looks like a river with flooded banks. How the sand is formed into these patterns is a puzzle to me. Is there a frenzy of surf swirling the sand and then the water suddenly drops the sand as the tide goes out. The effect is remarkable. Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

This picture might be explored further as the crepuscular rays of light shining through those impressive clouds can be processed in so many dramatic ways.

This is impressive as shown, of course, but just wondering whether, if this was for a print, you might end up presenting it differently? Also, in your approach to factive v. fictive images, would you ever combine elements of two truthful images for that sequence, to gather important elements to serve your whim and pleasure? For example, would you consider it against your ethics to clone in the 4 people from the right of the first image in this thread to the picture in this post, if you felt it would make a better final picture?

Asher

Jerome Marot

For example, would you consider it against your ethics to clone in the 4 people from the right of the first image in this thread to the picture in this post, if you felt it would make a better final picture?

That is a really strange question to ask, Asher. What do you have in mind? Are you testing me?

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

This picture might be explored further as the crepuscular rays of light shining through those impressive clouds can be processed in so many dramatic ways.

This is impressive as shown, of course, but just wondering whether, if this was for a print, you might end up presenting it differently? Also, in your approach to factive v. fictive images, would you ever combine elements of two truthful images for that sequence, to gather important elements to serve your whim and pleasure? For example, would you consider it against your ethics to clone in the 4 people from the right of the first image in this thread to the picture in this post, if you felt it would make a better final picture?

Asher

Jerome,

Could one add the stronger crepuscular rays to the picture with the people or vice vace?

Asher