• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boxfull of Light: (a nearly complete) series

Jarmo Juntunen

I've posted some pictures on this subject already. My idea is to shoot this view in different seasons, to see how the light changes the landscape and if my mood alters as the year progresses. Well, October is a reality. Now what I need is good crisp winter's day and I'm done. Well, maybe a nice spring picture too, just after the snow has melted.

What changed in the earlier posts is the crop. 1x1 for the whole set now. Thank you for watching!

June 16th: early summer

_img900.jpg

StuartRae

Hi Jarmo,

What a lovely series of shots. I can't wait for the Winter episode.

A couple of points:

I realise it's difficult, but it would have been even better if you could have got exactly the same view point in all three.
Where did the little house with the red roof come from in the Autumn shot? Was it revealed when the trees shed their leaves, or is it Santa's magic workshop which only appears at this time of year?

The Autumn version is my favourite, just as Autumn is my favourite season. I can really smell the clean, crisp October air. Is it smoke or low cloud top centre?

For me, the August version doesn't quite live up to the promise of late Spring/early Summer.

Regards,

Stuart

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Stuart! Thank you so much for taking the time to look and comment. You're too right about pretty much everything. I went through the same issues in my mind. My main issue really is the variance in the scene. Santa's hut (thanks, heehee!) was something I never realized until I saw it the October picture. It really adds some dynamics to the picture, don't you think? Well, this place is within easy access from where I live, so I will have plenty of opportunities to go back there next year. But now I just wait... the temp should hit -30 C by mid-Feb, lol!

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

love it. The seasons make that the series is more than the sum of the individual pictures.

There is something that comes to my mind:
What about a collaborative project - four seasons at different places of the world?

Best regards,
Michael

StuartRae

Hi Jarmo,

You're too right about pretty much everything. I went through the same issues in my mind. My main issue really is the variance in the scene.

Don't beat yourself up. It's the concept that matters; the execution can be refined.

What about a collaborative project - four seasons at different places of the world?

Hi Michael,

That's a good idea. We could call it the Vivaldi Project.

Regards,

Stuart

These are very cool, Jarmo. I can't wait to see it in winter, with snowflakes drifting softly down. As for the autumn photo, I thought it might be a temporary hunting cabin, as it seems quite small, but rather prefer Stuart's explanation of it's being Santa's workshop!
:)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've posted some pictures on this subject already. My idea is to shoot this view in different seasons, to see how the light changes the landscape and if my mood alters as the year progresses. Well, October is a reality. Now what I need is good crisp winter's day and I'm done. Well, maybe a nice spring picture too, just after the snow has melted.

What changed in the earlier posts is the crop. 1x1 for the whole set now. Thank you for watching!

June 16th: early summer

_img900.jpg

August 15th, late summer

_img900.jpg

October 7th: Late Autumn

_img900.jpg

Jarmo,

This is a small journey you take us on but there's more than just one winter image we hope for!

I'm looking forward to bare trees, the snow, ice, melting, and then buds in spring. If you can have images from different taking heights, exposing the red house, then why not wait for birds, people or a deer too?

Asher

Asher Kelman

The latest visit to the little bridge in Sarpatti:

December 30th: Midwinter

_img900.jpg

Jarmo,

Truly significant for the series. I wonder if you can work more on the tones in the snow or is this already worked to the limit? Is that your daughter helping complete the picture?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Asher, I'll look into your suggestion a bit later and see what I can do. Yes, that's my oldest there on the bridge.

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

a wonderful picture to complete the series.

The first series covering the four seasons I remember was from Willy Matheisl. It is a series about a well-known tree here in Bavaria and maybe a bit more than that: The German name is 'Bavaria Buche'. The age of this tree is estimated between 500 and 800 years, but the tree is no longer there, just a few remains as it broke apart after a storm in 2006 and could not be recovered.

The series can be seen here.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Asher and Michael! That's an interesting link, Michael. I've seen similar things done, as well. I find seasonal variation in a landscape a very interesting theme.

Asher Kelman

Jarmo,

a wonderful picture to complete the series.

The first series covering the four seasons I remember was from Willy Matheisl. It is a series about a well-known tree here in Bavaria and maybe a bit more than that: The German name is 'Bavaria Buche'. The age of this tree is estimated between 500 and 800 years, but the tree is no longer there, just a few remains as it broke apart after a storm in 2006 and could not be recovered.

The series can be seen here.

Michael,

This is new to me and I'm glad to have the introduction!

Of course, no discussion of the seasons can occur without reference to the paintings of Claude Monet. His pictures of Hayscacks are exemplary in use of color, light patterns, quality of light and patience in bringing to us wonders of the changing patterns seasons overlay on ordinary thingss. Look here for some of his works.

Asher