• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

PIFFLE or not?

Piffle1_DSC_0553_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Piffle2_DSC_0554_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Intrigued by a discussion of PIFFLE in an earlier thread "Can Art have no Artist's Statement, Vision or Idea?" and Mark Hampton's untitled images in the preceding thread, those above further explore a minimalist approach.

Mindful of the apposite comment by Maris Rusis on the earlier thread - "One thing that I fiercely insist on is that the artist will have put the work through their own mind mind. If they can't be bothered doing that I can't be bothered putting it through mine." - be assured that the work occupied my mind (piffling though it may be) at all stages of production. I dedicate the images to Mark Hampton among others who push against conventional boundaries of photography on OPF.

Cheers
Mike

Mark Hampton

Intrigued by a discussion of PIFFLE in an earlier thread "Can Art have no Artist's Statement, Vision or Idea?" and Mark Hampton's untitled images in the preceding thread, those above further explore a minimalist approach.

Mindful of the apposite comment by Maris Rusis on the earlier thread - "One thing that I fiercely insist on is that the artist will have put the work through their own mind mind. If they can't be bothered doing that I can't be bothered putting it through mine." - be assured that the work occupied my mind (piffling though it may be) at all stages of production. I dedicate the images to Mark Hampton among others who push against conventional boundaries of photography on OPF.

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

the funny thing about the work I make is i don't see it as minimalist - that was a phrase used by someone else about the work. but there in is the beauty of making work. once others see it it is formed by them and their minds / loves / hates etc. their view is just that, theirs and that for me is where art resides - in the mind of the viewer.

thanks for the dedication - its humbling to get praise and appreciated.

In relation to images you have posted - for me there are very beautiful. i love the chaos of water - the surface tension and the play of light. when i bath my son i show him this. so when i 1st looked at the work i didn't push into them because I was remembering something else.

for me these are complex models that can keep building and will be looked at again. are there more?

cheers

p.s.
a strange thing for you to do mike - post work on OPF - i thought we only talked about religion here ! (that's a joke AK)

An image that intrigues, Jerome. And after listening to my beloved footy team's last minute equalizer on digital radio, I'll celebrate by posting another photo. If a title is needed, Snowflakes will do.

Snowdoor_DSC4003_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Cheers
Mike

Mike, I am of the same mind as you and it is a privilege to share a parallel vision. In homage and solidarity I offer:

5165898936_f8d48b8df2_z.jpg
Ripples, Noosa River​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant111 FB VC, image area 16.3cm X 21.4cm, from a Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 camera fitted with a 360mm f6.3 lens.​

It is a trenchant demand to insist on the passage of an art-work through the mind of the putative artist but it is one that photography answers with great facility. Until photography was invented it was impossible to stop images of the world (in general) or ripples (in particular) to see what they really looked like. All the old painters had was an idea of ripples and they never did them as correctly and plainly and elegantly as you have done.

Cheers
Maris Rusis

Jarmo Juntunen

Mike, thank you for this thread! I also love/fear water. And what a challenging subject to shoot!

Green waves

_img900.jpg

And these are not in water but close...

Wind1

_img900.jpg

Wind2

_img900.jpg

Thank you for watching!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now I get it.

I'm heading for the local creek, shaky camera in hand, photograph some ripples and print it on news print, frame it with an empty beer carton and add some technical information as a final touch.
Then tell people it's simple and beautiful because its me pushing the conventional boundaries of photography.

Jim Galli, I'm taking up religion. Even the stuff you go on with is starting to make sense after this lot.

Mark Hampton

Now I get it.

I'm heading for the local creek, shaky camera in hand, photograph some ripples and print it on news print, frame it with an empty beer carton and add some technical information as a final touch.
Then tell people it's simple and beautiful because its me pushing the conventional boundaries of photography.

Jim Galli, I'm taking up religion. Even the stuff you go on with is starting to make sense after this lot.

lol ... i think we all need a pocket tom....

go to the religion thread and stir that one up.

Jarmo Juntunen

Now I get it.

But Tom, I thought you of all people on this forum would be all for the new Piffle movement: http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16394

And this Reverent Tom, me dear owd duck. You got religion already! Complete with technical detail. No need to go to another forum. Just come out of the closet and piffle along with the rest of us. :)

This isn't art but its a sort of arty farty mistake. I got back from my class the other night and found this in the CF card. At first I thought it was a gremlin, then a religious experience or vision or I was drunk. Then I realised what I had done (silly me) and cropped it a bit, smoothed out the colours and hey presto! I should make mistakes more often.
Its not something I would purposely go for myself. All a bit 'over the mantle piece' surrounded with icons and candles or displayed in a card shop with some inane to accompany it like 'May all your Christmas's come at once'
But, ****, there are plenty of people out there with bad taste.

_DSC0791 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Loved the piffle below, by the way.

You've been peeking, Asher.
Here's another. It might help.

Titled #2 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Mike,

These are superb at pulling us away to a special otherworldly but believable milieu with water teeming with life. It's remarkable for the myriads of interwoven shapes created. In the first perhaps, cattle, and the second fish and maybe crocs too! Some fractal effect on the brain, I guess! Hope you have a bunch more!

I like that these have a pristine appearance as you have not left any digital debris of the filter you used! Try printing and see how it comes out. Presumably these were digital, but what camera and light conditions? Was the sun overhead or at an angle?

In each, are we also seeing the effect of reflections or is the image showing just the surface of the water and whatever shows through the waves?

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Mike,

These are superb at pulling us away to a special otherworldly but believable milieu with water teeming with life. It's remarkable for the myriads of interwoven shapes created. In the first perhaps, cattle, and the second fish and maybe crocs too! Some fractal effect on the brain, I guess! Hope you have a bunch more!

I like that these have a pristine appearance as you have not left any digital debris of the filter you used! Try printing and see how it comes out. Presumably these were digital, but what camera and light conditions? Was the sun overhead or at an angle?

In each, are we also seeing the effect of reflections or is the image showing just the surface of the water and whatever shows through the waves?

Asher

I'm still seeing vaginas as a result of overexposure to Marks lawn.

Thanks Asher. Photos were taken on a moderately bright day with Nikon D3s, sometime in the afternoon with the light slanting.

Here's a couple more piffles from the same session.

Piffle4_DSC_0560_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Piffle5_DSC_0584_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Maybe it's a pity that Hermann Rorschach was drawn more to klecksography (making inkblot pictures) than photography in his childhood. Had it been otherwise, a "Piffling Personality Test" might have taken the world of psychology by storm :) (just kidding).

Cheers
Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Some pretty neat images here!
As a sailor and photographer, water ripples are part of my life (note that sometimes ripples may become huge waves!).
Almost 3 years ago, returning from an assignment in (or better, on) the Red Sea I did post here these images…

_45R9743.jpg

_45R9738.jpg

_45R9721.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It took me a while to fond some ripple piffle that is worthy of this thread. No luck I'm afraid. We only have inter-tidal ripple piffle here.

_DSC9263 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9261 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9286 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

All photos recorded at Casuarina Beach with a camera. I was wearing my Ripcurl boardies and a T-shirt at the time. Images first displayed on HP Omni 27 monitor in my office. No muslei was spilt on the keyboard during the operation of this task.

Asher Kelman

It took me a while to fond some ripple piffle that is worthy of this thread. No luck I'm afraid. We only have inter-tidal ripple piffle here.

_DSC9263 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9261 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_DSC9286 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

All photos recorded at Casuarina Beach with a camera. I was wearing my Ripcurl boardies and a T-shirt at the time. Images first displayed on HP Omni 27 monitor in my office. No muslei was spilt on the keyboard during the operation of this task.

These Tom are great Pifflings! Job well done!

Here's the way it is, then, we take pictures, no pretenses or messing,

"it is what it is!"

No rules, no titles, just show your mom your terd and it's great as it is!

We're liberated! If you like it, share it and no fuss, no muss!

Still, these pifflings of yours have decades of experience and taste in photography propping them up! Think of all those times sitting on the pot meditating, all the pictures you took and stories you wrote down and then thousands of hours teaching your craft to new generations of photographers. You can piffle then with the cheapest of camera, and you still do a great job. That's why I consider you as one of the finest photographers I have come to know!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
These Tom are great Pifflings! Job well done!

Here's the way it is, then, we take pictures, no pretenses or messing,

"it is what it is!"

No rules, no titles, just show your mom your terd and it's great as it is!

We're liberated! If you like it, share it and no fuss, no muss!

Still, these pifflings of yours have decades of experience and taste in photography propping them up! Think of all those times sitting on the pot meditating, all the pictures you took and stories you wrote down and then thousands of hours teaching your craft to new generations of photographers. You can piffle then with the cheapest of camera, and you still do a great job. That's why I consider you as one of the finest photographers I have come to know!

Asher

What is it with you, Asher? Vaginas, tits and now terds. I know a good shrink.

Not all Australians are beer swilling pissheads. We leave that to the Scotts. I haven't had a beer since 1968 and haven't drunk any form of alcohol since 1998. I'm feeling very virtuous and sober.
Mind you, I do remember the taste of a 12 year old single malt and a 1954 Grange Heritage. I discovered being an alcoholic with extravagant taste doesn't go well together.

You should get out more, Asher. Remember. I just take pictures.

Asher Kelman

What is it with you, Asher? Vaginas, tits and now terds. I know a good shrink.

Not all Australians are beer swilling pissheads. We leave that to the Scotts. I haven't had a beer since 1968 and haven't drunk any form of alcohol since 1998. I'm feeling very virtuous and sober.
Mind you, I do remember the taste of a 12 year old single malt and a 1954 Grange Heritage. I discovered being an alcoholic with extravagant taste doesn't go well together.

You should get out more, Asher. Remember. I just take pictures.

Tom,

I can't be expected to get it all right, being cerebrally challenged from all the decades of great wine and my lascivious life, LOL! As to the terd, that's one of a human's first solid achievements! We're potty training 3 grankids and the one who has graduated is proud as punch of his achievement! This is the origin of "found art" I guess!

Get out? I do that all the time for grub! Sadly, our kitchen got destroyed in a tragic flood and so we have to eat out for the next 4 months!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sorry I can't match Tom's work! Not enough money in my piggy bank at the moment! Darwin in Australia is too far away and too expensive! I have not gotten to the beach, just watching my grandsons learn to swim and at twilight, realized there was some piffling going on in the surface of water!

_MG_6491.jpg

Asher Kelman:Water! #1

_MG_6492.jpg

Asher Kelman:Water! #2

_MG_6494.jpg

Asher Kelman:Water! #3

Asher

Triple piffle from me, no post except to crop a bit and put them together as a group.

These icicles (now melted) took on the color of gold and glitter in the setting sun.
triplepiffle.jpg