• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Traveler or a Tourist?

fahim mohammed

p1414531306-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And into this too, Asher..

p1412894558.jpg

This tells us some of the life, however, the picture with the girl has pathos too. It's not so easily upstaged by a cart and a conical hat, which although telling and symbolic, are merely lifestyles! The girl pulls at our heartstrings!

Asher

fahim mohammed

In a village along the Mekong.
I had the boat stopped. Walked up and around the village. I was taken back to pictures from a Life
Magazine.

p1418919018.jpg

Fascinating, for me.

Asher Kelman

In a village along the Mekong.
I had the boat stopped. Walked up and around the village. I was taken back to pictures from a Life
Magazine.

p1418919018.jpg

Fascinating, for me.

Fahim,

Is this your photograph from the Life magazine or your photograph? It's impressive whoever took it!

Asher

fahim mohammed

This is another Laotian girl. Her name is Ven.
I went to a temple. The crowd from the tour buses went one way. I went the other.

In a small temple in the courtyard, I found a young lady deep in meditation.
I waited. She got up. Saw me standing by the door.

No words..we didn't know the language. Gestures were enough.

p1414531240-5.jpg

Just my way. I get lucky sometimes.

fahim mohammed

I would like to make a few important observations about Laos.

1. Laos is not a country for sex tourism. Period. Go elsewhere.cannot emphasize this too strongly.

2. Laos is a very safe country to travel and stay in. Very safe. For singles..males and females.

3. Laos is a poor country, but developing rapidly.

4. Laotians are predominantly Buddhists.

5. Laos is a country of smiles, warm welcomes, courteous people.

6. Laos has superb natural beauty. It does not have a coastline, however.

7. I intend to bring my wife, daughters and grand kids to visit Laos in the future.

Asher Kelman

fahim mohammed said:
Just my way. I get lucky sometimes.

p1414531240-5.jpg

Fahim Nohammed: Untitled

Laos, 2013

Fahim,

Your pictures are collected like a magnet over paper clips and it must be your charm, LOL! :)

You were lucky and obviously have a good smile. The girl knows you're shooting her and you opened the lens to place the b.g. in a magical softness. She's remarkable, but what about detail in the blacks? In post #9, the highlights were blown but the tonality of the boat and wood benefited and that worked beautifully. Here, the fleeting moment of intimacy deserves more attention.

Likely as not you have used a traveling algorithm for file preparation. That's fine in most all cases. But here, the details matter as she is not just a gesture or a shadow or a cart turned over. There's valuable detail in her hair and face, for example, that might be shown. This one would be worth keeping for a moment when you might be able to rework it and see if the flower can open a tad more.

Move this to your keepers folder too!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

Your pictures are collected like a magnet over paper clips and it must be your charm, LOL! :)

You were lucky and obviously have a good smile. The girl knows you're shooting her and you opened the lens to place the b.g. in a magical softness. She's remarkable, but what about detail in the blacks? In post #9, the highlights were blown but the tonality of the boat and wood benefited and that worked beautifully. Here, the fleeting moment of intimacy deserves more attention.

Likely as not you have used a traveling algorithm for file preparation. That's fine in most all cases. But here, the details matter as she is not just a gesture or a shadow or a cart turned over. There's valuable detail in her hair and face, for example, that might be shown. This one would be worth keeping for a moment when you might be able to rework it and see if the flower can open a tad more.

Move this to your keepers folder too!

Asher

Agreed, and thank you. I shall rework all images once back home.

p1420747324-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Forgive me, those who do not like posts being moved,

but I have collected the replies pointing to sexual tourism here as this topic is so important and it shouldn't be secondary to beautiful images of the people of Laos. Both threads are so important. One showing the gentility of the Laotian people and the moved posts, the reality that foreigners with money can damage vulnerable societies. Let's discuss that subject in the new thread and reserve this thread for the photography Fahim is bring to us!

Comments on this in the new thread please. :)

Thanks!

Asher

fahim mohammed

A few days ago, I stopped by a small town..a large village actually.

There were quite a few Westerners hanging around as their tour bus had stopped for them to have refreshments, stretch their legs etc.

I was in the local market and spotted a guy with a Canon 70-200mm white lens moving surreptiously here and there to take a snap of a lady. I approached him, and told him to do it my way. He was surprised..to say the least. I just walked up to the lady. The gentleman was too embarrassed grabbed a few shots, mumbled thanks to her me, and quickly rejoined his group. Waving his lens here and there.

Wonderful girl. She was buying some things. I pointed so that she looked away from me, and got engaged in her purchase..haggling. I took a photo. Showed it to her. She approved, we thanked each other. I moved to another place.

p1415184540-5.jpg

fahim mohammed

For the images that I post here or elsewhere, there are many failures that I just delete.

I spotted this girl in a market ( again ! ). The most wonderful thing I had seen. I really wanted to get a good shot. She would spot me and move away. I approached her. Put on my best behavior etc..but
zilch. The beauty that I wanted to capture was not to be. I shall never forget the face. The gestures.

Could launch a thousand ships...

p1422343840.jpg

fahim mohammed

I personally like the image below. I had to wait for a considerable time to get it.

p1423142280.jpg

With that I shall take a break from this thread.

Thanks for bearing with me.

fahim mohammed

But in Laos, one is never far away from that which the Lao people hold sacred....

p1406563194.jpg

The biggest mistake one can make is to gloss over this important detail. Their faith drives the people, and the country. To understand a people, as I have mentioned multiple times previously, one needs to
to have at least a simple understanding of the most important guiding principle of a people's values and from whence they flow.

Asher Kelman

Will it, should it, shall it, taste different?

p1426849910.jpg

This, Fahim is a brilliant question and metaphor. We could also show blood coming from a picked finger or a thorn in a bare foot or a mother taking her child to school, but this says it all and more. A lot of what we treasure as unique is universal and just the lettering is unique.

One of the most significant images you have ever shared here.

Asher