• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Exhibition" Pictures for Discussion and Questions Paris Photo Show at Los Angeles: Tal Shochat

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tal Shochjat was born in Israel in 1974

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
2000-2002 Photography Teacher, Ironi Hey High School, Tel Aviv, Israel
Curator of the Art Gallery, Hamidrasha Art College, Beit Berl, Kalmaniya
2009 Photography Teacher, Hamidrasha Art College, Beit Berl, Kalmaniya
1999-2002 Art and photography workshops, and private individual tutoring

SOLO EXHIBITIONS
In Praise of a Dream, National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia, PA

In Praise of a Dream, Andrea Meislin Gallery, New York, NY

Sometimes It’s Cold In The Morning, Rosenfeld Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel

The style seems to me to recall the graphics of Sharir, but I have no evidence that there was any direct influence.

874870e74edd852b93016c0e7b868837.jpg

Tal Shochat: Rimon
(Pomegranate)
2010, C-Print, 47.25 x 50 inches

"...visitors will be transported to a utopian garden rich with flowering trees. Shochat's series of photographs captures these trees – plum, fig, cypress, palm and others – in the height of their beauty and fertility. Outside of the constraints of time and space, Shochat's is a garden that blooms eternally.

Using a rigorous process, Shochat begins with scouring an area for a particular type of tree. Once she's found her ideal specimen, she watches carefully and judges when the tree has reached the height of its maturity. Only then does she return with a black backdrop and, after carefully cleaning the branches and leaves, photographs the tree in this idealized and de-contextualized setting. In this sense, each tree becomes the most perfect expression of itself and the entire collection is one that could never exist in nature. In the words of curator and art critic Ktzia Alon, it is a "hypnotizing, fiercely beautiful series."

Beyond the garden scene of these works, Shochat's series also speaks to the fundamental shift in values that has taken place over the last few years in relationship to the natural world. The Earth's power has been exhausted by its privatization and the expropriation from the hands of the many for the benefit of the few. In Praise of a Dream preserves the power and the beauty of these trees and presents them to a larger audience through the gallery space.

Shochat's photographs gain additional relevance in light of the activities currently happening in Israel and particularly the desire for a government with greater focus on the needs of its citizens. Against the backdrop of this protest, Shochat's trees stand out in their simple intensity. These trees serve as a reminder of ideals worth fighting for and they make a profound statement with a simple icon: the tree.

In Praise of a Dream is Shochat's second solo exhibition at Andrea Meislin Gallery. She is a noted photographer and teacher in Israel and has had solo shows at Rosenfeld Gallery, Tel Aviv, Herzliya Museum of Art and Haifa Museum of Art. Her work is in important collections including The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, and The Shpilman Institute of Photography, Tel Aviv"​

See more of her work here

Please stick your neck out and comment on this approach to the photography, of isolating the tree in an idealized fashion.

Asher

charlie chipman

Viewed at this size it could just as well be a fake plastic tree made for a model train layout. Seeing the large prints in person I imagine would not have the same effect.

Speaking of which will you be going to the Paris photo show this weekend?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Viewed at this size it could just as well be a fake plastic tree made for a model train layout. Seeing the large prints in person I imagine would not have the same effect.

Speaking of which will you be going to the Paris photo show this weekend?

Charlie,

Thanks for dropping in, it's always a pleasure to hear from you! Yes, these pictures to have an appearance of toys and that, I believe is another way of expressing the feelings I had that her work evokes in my a sense of the graphics of other Israeli Artists who have simplified trees to perfectly clean balanced structures. This artist follows the same principle with her photography. She carefully picks the very best trees at the peak of fruiting and proceed to clean up. Then she puts a black b.g. behind the tree to give the appearance in this series.

BTW, if we can synchronize schedules, I'd have you as my guest! Have room for 3, so one other else can apply too! Just shoot me a PM!

Asher