• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shall I bore you again? Nicaragua 2013/14

Robert Watcher

Yes - we are on our way to Nicaragua to photograph and tell stories about all those we meet on the streets of Nicaragua. For any person who loves photography - Nicaragua would be the experience of a lifetime.

Our children had us down for a final afternoon, supper and evening before we headed off for the next 8 months. It is going to be brutal being away from them for that long. Thank goodness for Skype.

Anne requested that while we were all together, that I take an up-to-date portrait of everyone - - - this time including Anne and I as well as the new addition that we came home for this year. I set the scene up in our daughters back yard and placed my camera on self timer - using a small table as a tripod by resting the camera on it.

20130922-P9220006.jpg

Olympus E-PL3 w 14-42 kit lens - - - "watch for the blinking red light"

This is about as good as it got today - - - arrival at the airport with concern that our check in bags were not over the limit of 50 pounds. Proof that we are experienced travellers (check the scale pictures):

1237173_10153266956375554_2070548389_n.jpg

1208983_10153266956665554_1586852664_n.jpg

559806_10153266956520554_2058033391_n.jpg

My daughter Rachel took these iPhone pics

The rest of the day has been dreadful - thanks to our decision to try a new airline this year - - - DELTA.

We won't be arriving in Managua tonight as intended, and in fact were almost returned to Canada in Detroit this morning, because we didn't have a visa for staying over 90 days (which we don't need). Arguments didn't change much - - - except that we got on the flight to Atlanta, but had to change the return date to 90 days (Dec 17'th, 2013) and pay an extra $300 to do that.

We were already bummed, and then our pilots showed up an hour late for the Detroit to Atlanta flight and caused us to miss our flight to Managua Nicaragua. So now our friends who traveled across the country to pick us up, have to drive all the way home tonight and we have to make plans for someone else to pick us up at the airport tomorrow and drive us to Leon.

The story is that Delta is putting us on a flight to Miami tonight, where we will get there at 12:00 midnight (if it arrives on time) - and then catch an American Airlines flight to Managua, at 7:00 AM tomorrow morning. Suffice it to say that we are not at all impressed with Delta and are not likely to use or recommend them in the future.

But that is all behind us now. Maybe we've just had it too good in previous years. Tomorrow will be a new day and we will start our journey and I will share some of my photographic stories with you. Hope you enjoy :)

Have a great trip, Robert .I will be following along! Tell your wife, I love her new haircut and color; she looks amazing!

All the best, be safe,
Maggie

Robert Watcher

We made it to Leon, Nicaragua safe and sound yesterday evening. We still have issues to work out now we are down here. Mainly our staying longer than the 90 days that we had to change our return flight to (and pay an extra $300) - so that we can enjoy our full planned 8 months.

Too - it seems like my new Macbook air is struggling this afternoon as I work on some files. Don't know if it is the extreme heat affecting the laptop, or my new external 2 TB hard drive that I will be storing all of the files on - or a combination of both. Lightroom 5 was working decently on this setup during the last couple of weeks - I upgraded to 5.2 just before leaving and processed my family pics fine - - -

- - - but today things are slow and Lightroom will not display the thumbnail images in either the Library view or Develop view. I can get two or three of them to display as I work on a file, but when I go to a different file they disappear and a couple of other ones show. At least I can work on the files in full view and export them out to the hard drive.

Pic 1: And so - this is us in our house this morning - well it is Anne working away.

Pic 2: Then we walked all over the city greeting old friends on the street (everyone is so dependable in being in the exact same place year after year). To rest up and get out of the heat, we dropped in to our fav hangout Pan y Paz (bread and peace) for a refreshment and a quiche. (set the camera on the counter with self timer)

Pic 3: The final image is this years "first official travel photograph". The movers and shakers of Leon.

20130925-P9250023.jpg

20130925-P9250025.jpg

20130925-P9250029.jpg

Robert Watcher

Walking the streets of Leon today - it looked like whole blocks of houses were on fire. In fact, there were 2 men walking in to every home and fumigating the houses. People were standing in the doorways with hankies over the faces - while the men being paid to do the fumigating were apparently more concerned with their hearing than their lungs (the main exterminator had white coveralls, big headsets and no mask). I couldn't get a shot of them today - hopefully another day. The streets were lined with adults and children watching the goings on.

20130927-P9270023.jpg

Robert Watcher

THE FIRST ONE IS THE HARDEST

I have taken thousands of photographs of people where I had to approach them and ask - - - but it is still difficult for me to do. Especially is it a challenge the first few times. I'm not one who likes to intrude into people's spaces and am not aggressive by any means.

While I was able to take some walk around shots the first few days in Leon - I have been extremely sick and restricted to my bed for the last 5 days - so have not yet had a chance to "Break the Ice". Yesterday afternoon, after I had regained a little bit of energy - Anne and I went for a walk to the grocery story (Pali).

Part way there, the heavens opened and a torrential rain came down on us. We tucked under the metal overhang of a store and waited it out. Several locals had also joined us. A few photo opportunities were there for pictures, but my comfort level wasn't there.

A man on a delivery bike, pulled up to the curb in front of us and reached into the front to pull his little boy out from among the bananas. As I was video taping the rain on the streets, I quickly snapped a pic of the boy while his father wasn't in the scene.

When the rain stopped, I looked to my left and saw a young girl climbing in and out of the store window. I wanted to take a picture so bad, but was afraid to point my camera her way with the others standing around me.

Just as I was ready to carry on to the grocery store, I turned back and drummed up the courage to ask the girl if I could take her picture. She smiled and then another woman walks out of the store and says "photo photo si" - - - and hops into the shot. Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I took the shot. I took one more of the girl trying to keep the woman out of the shot - - - but I waited a moment longer and the woman disappeared around the corner. I had my shot.

They will be excited when I take the print back to them. Also it will open up opportunities in the area for others accepting my request. So here are the first "approach people shots of this journey":

20131001-PA010033.jpg

20131001-PA010036.jpg

20131001-PA010038.jpg

Olympus E-PL3 w 14-42 kit lens

Antonio Correia

I specially like the first one by the whole scenario, the ambiance and the tone you have introduced to the picture.

I wouldn't have (would I ?) took the picture with the pole just in the middle but I must admit that it doesn't bother me at all... I even like it ! :) :)

Robert Watcher

I wouldn't have (would I ?) took the picture with the pole just in the middle but I must admit that it doesn't bother me at all... I even like it ! :) :)

I agree. I wouldn't have either - - - but I did in the moment and under the circumstances. The reason that I kept the shot even though initially the pole bothered me, is that the pole happens to be what the man rested the bike against - so in a way is part of the story.

Thank you for the compliments.

Robert Watcher

YA WANNA KNOW WHY I LOVE THIS PLACE?

Over and over and over again, I have results like this:

I am walking in the rural areas a few miles from the city, and I come across a little boy with a pirate mask and a little girl spinning a top. I stop and encourage her to show me how the top works. She was shy and so it look a couple of minutes until she realized that I wanted to see her spin it. She finally did and I got excited for her fun.

An older woman was working in the yard - hacking at the bushes with a long machete. I approached and asked in Spanish if I could take a photo. She smiled and agreed, and started lining them all up for me. She also wanted the little fellow in the picture - but he wasn't agreeable to it.

The first 4 shots I took, included the woman attempting to get the little fellow to cooperate - - - then the resulting picture with him showing no interest - - - then she came back in and stood there with her machete (don't worry - there were no threats) . . .

. . . After taking the shot with the woman in and everyone looking at me, I showed that pic to the kids and specifically tried to engage the little guy. Actually it turned out that I was in a much more interesting position to the children now if you can imagine me being close to them and off to the side as I showed them the back of the camera.

I quickly grabbed two more shots. The one included here as the fourth in the set (which may be more picture perfect):

20131003-PA030089.jpg

20131003-PA030092.jpg

20131003-PA030094.jpg

20131003-PA030096.jpg

last set is so cool. There is also something very endearing to me, in the second where the shy boy has his head just leaning on the edge of the chair. I just want to give him a huge hug. Cool that he came out of his shell.

:)
Maggie

Antonio Correia

It is curious how the last photograph (not exactly the last one but a very similar taken the second before or later) when tonned assumes a complete different mood and looks great.
I do not mean that the colored one is not interesting, no. I mean, the converted one pleases much more than the other.
Or perhaps is just me...

Robert Watcher

SCOOT JUMBO

This morning I noticed this promotion sign for toilet paper, on the outside wall of a Pali grocery store. The "scoot" immediately caught my attention as I have had that privilege recently. After I took the shot, I noticed the "jumbo" to go along with "scoot". I found it comical. BTW - it is Scott toilet paper brand that I believe they are referring to:

Scoot-Jumbo.jpg

Robert Watcher

BACK STREET FINDINGS

First is this corner property that I pass by a few blocks from my home. The fence is typical poles and barb wire - but apparently the owners prefer privacy - - - and so have all of the spaces filled with tin, plastic and corregated cardboard.

18) While it is interesting to view, I have not been able to find an angle that would make a great photograph. But I want to have a record of it.

On my walk home in the rain this afternoon, I decided to use a long focal length and make use of the subtlety produced by the clouds, to take a head on shot - - - and then use the editing features of Lightroom 5.2 (including masking which I hadn't used yet) to give the final print some focus and interest:

20131005-EP151610.jpg

Image #18 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

19) My initial captures in this area this afternoon, were shooting down a long, narrow, twisty, seldom used street. I noticed far off in the background at the end of the street, a small white car against an orange and white wall. As I approached, the colours and symmetry of the white VW against the curb - backed by a golden adobe wall - - - were clear.

I sat down on a high curb and used a long focal length to shoot into the end of the street to capture the scene:

20131005-EP151609.jpg

Image #19 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

(Both images, taken with Olympus E-PL1 and 40-150 kit lens)

Robert Watcher

THREE PICS FROM LA PAZ CENTRO TODAY:

20131008-EP181647.jpg

Image #20 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131008-EP181638.jpg

Image #21 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131008-EP181649.jpg

Image #22 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

Thank you Antonio

You know - this image is taking on a life of it's own, that I never anticipated when I took the shot.

I was hurriedly walking to the bus back home, and passed a bunch of men sitting around at a street corner. In amongst was this fellow laying back under the overhang of his cart.

I couldn't resist such an invitation - and so turned back and asked if I could take his picture. He hesitated in responding and then shrugged his shoulders. I took a shot that was more close up and then quickly framed this full length just in case I like the included cart better - and left with all of the guys on the corner laughing and teasing him.

When taking the photograph, I paid no attention to the words on the canvas overhang. When processing the image I became aware of how fortunate I was to have included the extra content. The signage - roughly translated to be "Any Excuse Is Good". Featuring it even more in the cropping and processing - - - makes this an even more wonderful image.

20131008-EP181647.jpg

Image #20 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Antonio Correia

It is indeed the best of the last set IMHP :)

Have you noticed where his feet are supported ?

Nothing like the safeguard/security belt elastic band !! :) :)

Robert Watcher

IMPROVISED RECEPTION

Walking around a small costal fishing village today, I began to notice that antennas were on the roofs of many of the simple homes. What was particularly interesting were the many 4 foot florescent bulbs that were either strapped on to an antenna or acted as the antenna arms.

Apparently, florescent bulbs must boost the signal. I managed this shot of a bulb that was added on - - - as well as another innovative homemade antenna, where pieces of wire were bundled and strapped onto each end of a set of sticks.

20131009-EP191661.jpg

Image #23 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131009-EP191663.jpg

Image #24 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Many of the nicer homes in Nicaragua, have name plaques embedded into cement around the entrance to the home. This family is apparently, "No Name".

20131009-EP191665.jpg

Image #25 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

COMMUNITY AT DUSK

As the sun begins to set in the city, it is common to walk the streets and find individuals young and old, sitting in their doorways or on the street in front of their home - relaxing, talking or reading. I sat for a few moments tonight on this street and captured these 4 situations with a longer 300mm focal length lens:

20131014-PA140005.jpg

Image #26 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131014-PA140007.jpg

Image #27 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131014-PA140013.jpg

Image #28 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131014-PA140020.jpg

Image #29 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

THREE FOR ONE

One interesting wall producing 3 different views

20131015-PA150034.jpg

Image #30 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131015-PA150035.jpg

Image #31 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131015-PA150036.jpg

Image #32 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Wow, Robert. I'm loving these images and those rustic doors and windows in the last 3 look amazing. The little boy that has fallen asleep and mom is bringing him home is something I think many of us have experienced. When they knock off, they can sleep anywhere. I wish I could do that. I can't even fall asleep in a plane, much less just on someone's shoulder! Keep them coming, they are wonderful!

Maggie

Robert Watcher

THE NICA WAY!!!

So I am talking to my friend here in Nicaragua a couple of days ago - and he tells me that his Olympus E-510 is broke and he can't use it. The switch to turn the camera off and on was no longer working.

A typical resolution for those photographers from developed countries would almost always be to provide a suggestion as to what camera to buy now, or for the more stingy - to suggest they send the camera to a repair shop.

Well - Miguel left me saying that he may tear the camera apart. My response was "REALLY - NO WAY!!!".

Next day I see these pictures of him in the camera operating room. Turns out he had successfully pulled the camera apart (without ever opening one before) - cleaned the contacts of the off/on switch and put it back together with no extra screws left behind. His E-510 now works perfectly. He told me that he checked the web and found ideas on how to do it, but also criticized some of them for giving wrong directions and advice.

Next thing I see - - - a day later, he has his iPhone 4 pulled apart to fix issues with it, and successfully fixed and reassembled it as well. Wow - to just have some of that Nica (Nicaraguan) ingenuity. Of course, when you have no money, and have no authorized repair depots and you don't want to do without - - - it may be desperation that makes us capable of anything we want to do. :)

miguel.jpg

miguel2.jpg

Robert Watcher

GRUNGE EVERYWHERE

I just love the endless opportunities presented with the walls and doors of the cities in Nicaragua. But even better when I can include a person or animal in the scene. A few from an hour ago while walking home through the city streets.

20131025-PA250061.jpg

Image #33 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131025-PA250069.jpg

Image #34 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131025-PA250072.jpg

Image #35 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

20131025-PA250084.jpg

Image #36 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

Kids in a Doorway

Passing on a street on the edge of the city - I noticed these 3 playing in the doorway of their home. I couldn't resist taking the shot. At first the baby went into the house, and then eventually poked her head out and the older sister moved her into the front of her:

20131025-PA250039.jpg

Image #40 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

Plain Wierd

Regularly I pass this huge 12 to 15 foot high painting on the side of an old factory wall. It's just kind of strange and being that it is on a shaded side of the street, has been kind of drab looking to bother taking a photograph of.

As I passed by on this morning, the strong sun cast shadows of the electric power lines, that kind of broke up the plainness of the wall. It adds some confusion as well that I like.

20131025-PA250013.jpg

Image #41 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

- - - - for context and perspective:

The only shot that I have to show how the wall relates in size to people and the relative size of the painting on the wall is this one. The white splotch on the right side (with the black arrow) is the painting. You can imagine the size of the wall by comparing the woman with the umbrella who is walking by the corner of the building.

20131025-PA250022.jpg

Paul Abbott

Some great documentary photographs, Robert. I believe your spoilt for choice in a place like this, everything looks appealing, new and old...

Kids in a Doorway

Passing on a street on the edge of the city - I noticed these 3 playing in the doorway of their home. I couldn't resist taking the shot. At first the baby went into the house, and then eventually poked her head out and the older sister moved her into the front of her:

20131025-PA250039.jpg

Image #40 - © 2013 Robert Watcher

Really beautiful, Robert!
Maggie