• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Under Golden Gate Bridge/ Fort Point - San Francisco, California '15

Paul Abbott

undergoldengatebridge_1_of_1_640.jpg

Under Golden Gate Bridge/ Fort Point - San Francisco, California '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/GW3 21mm

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
undergoldengatebridge_1_of_1_640.jpg

Under Golden Gate Bridge/ Fort Point - San Francisco, California '15 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR w/GW3 21mm

Paul,

This is rather odd corner and surely not a tourist's point if interest!

The composition you discovered takes the essence of the bridge into supporting role to a seemingly complex balancing interplay of lines and curves. The arch fits in very well in the lower edge. Coming a tad closer with the camera, one might have been able to do the same with the upper curve - had that fitted in with your own design.

Still, this is an excellent repurposing of real objects with their own identity to conjure up your own entity, a composition of fine and broad lines that rely on form more than identity, story or meaning for drawing us in.

This is a rahter advanced form of creative work and commendable.

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Abbott

Thanks for your analysis, Asher.

For me, I was interested in how I could get this scene divided up with all those lines, none of which are vertically or horizontally straight. One contrasting element to all this was the curved struts in the support lattice of the bridge, I liked that. Also, all these lines at first glance look as though they appear two dimensional in regard to depth (even though the support lattice and chainlink fencing subtly run at opposing angles to each other), see Hockney's view on depth in a photograph. So, having saw that I loved how the building on the right, (Fort Point) brings some depth and a counterpoint, breaking through the two dimensional aspect of the above. It also leads our eyes into the scene beyond the chainlink fence...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for your analysis, Asher.

For me, I was interested in how I could get this scene divided up with all those lines, none of which are vertically or horizontally straight. One contrasting element to all this was the curved struts in the support lattice of the bridge, I liked that. Also, all these lines at first glance look as though they appear two dimensional in regard to depth (even though the support lattice and chainlink fencing subtly run at opposing angles to each other), see Hockney's view on depth in a photograph. So, having saw that I loved how the building on the right, (Fort Point) brings some depth and a counterpoint, breaking through the two dimensional aspect of the above. It also leads our eyes into the scene beyond the chainlink fence...

Do you have a reference to Hockneys point of view on depth?

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hockney created photo collages, 'joiner' photographs; an image made up of composited smaller ones, all shot at different angles to the subject; to try and create depth and spatial awareness. Subsequently, he got frustrated with photography and what he called it's, 'one-eyed' approach. He stated that the photographic picture cannot show much of any depth at all, whereas a painted picture can.

I think they are bloody brilliant, some of the greatest image making I have ever seen. I do believe he invented it, i'm not sure...All these joiner photographs were shot with a Pentax 110 camera.
He created a 'joiner' photograph of the Grand Canyon and it's absolutely massive, it is amazing. It's in Salt's Mill gallery, here in Yorkshire where a lot of his works are shown and kept.

I have him on DVD stating his frustration above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hockney