• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Procession across the lake

Michael Nagel

Close to Munich, an old tradition was revived 30 years ago, a procession across the lake using the old-fashioned boats.
A few impressions:

It was a wonderful day.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

These are wonderful images and the tradition is picturesque and enchanting.

There's a lot of handwork and craft in these boats. What are they called and where are they made. So what sparks a crossing? Is it related to a Church festival or a wedding or Christening?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

This is related to a church festival.

The boats were used to transport goods across the lake before there were streets. There were larger versions that could even transport cattle.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

This is related to a church festival.

The boats were used to transport goods across the lake before there were streets. There were larger versions that could even transport cattle.

Best regards,
Michael

Fabulous! Thanks, Michael for sharing this local custom! Is there a name for this type of craft?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Is there a name for this type of craft?

These kind of boats are named Plätte. It is a flat-bottomed boat and the bow is shaped in a way that you can get on/off the boat without stepping in the water when you point it to the shore.

I did not find any information in English about this type of boat, but there is still a Wikipedia page in German and your favourite online translator.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Thanks Michael to the introduction to this festive boat custom! I discovered in my reading that a similar, perhaps related, Corpus Christi boat tradition is also treasured and celebrated in glacial lakes in Austria too! I like the idea that the folk exploited water transport for centuries before there were decent roads. I can imagine the fascination of having a religious ceremony uniting small village communities in the water.

The boats seem very simple and practical and seem to be similar in shape to the famous and seaworthy Boston Whaler boats, although, of course made of aluminum not local wood!

Asher