Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old February 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Call For Raw Files: All Pro Purpose Cameras!

What camera to use for Architecture, fashion, sports, street portraits and more? We are establishing a Library of quality image filles for photographers to access at no charge. We need great RAW files, DSLR quality amd above.

Introducing The OPF RAWFOTOBANK™*

Purpose: to provide a resource for examining and comparing lens-camera-subject-style combinations.

Method We are assembling a Library of RAW files. These will be made availble for download, at no charge and reporting only under strict guidelines with very limited usage!

Choose the best files you can part with. They should relate to a particular type of style of photography. So state the original purpose of the shot, if that was defined and the lens-body details if not in the EXIF. Also to give context, add a URL of your work if available.

Send files to

editoroopf@macocom

Don't "cut and paste", retype!

Download: You will be able to download files for free but with very limited use license.
We believe choice of camera must be qualified by purpose style and budget.

Posting: Let us know if you would like the shot also as a challenge to explore what might be done with the file in different hands.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com...t=Central+Park

This is, I believe is one realistic and honest approach that no one can argue with. We at OPF are truly unbiased. Judge as many files as you wish. Also check cameras and backs for your own work. We have enough qualified photographers in many fields to cover a spectrum of styles.

I have myself use a Bronica, 1D2 and 5D. I am also familiar with the Leaf system and am now looking at other backs.

Thanks for helping us make a valuable resources for photographers.

Asher Kelman

OPF RAW FILE DATA-BANK™, OPF RAW PHOTO-BANK™ and FotoBank™

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 9th, 2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Asher,
At the 10,000 foot level this feels like an interesting to which I'd be interested in contributing.

But can you elucidate a bit further on your concept for this "Raw Photo Bank" in practical terms? For example, why would someone download files? Who would be permitted access?
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Any registered OPF member could download images for personal experimentation. However to use for some other purpose, they would have to purchase a license from you.

If they want to they can repost their version with an impression and that we we can have discussions.

I will provide enough canon images for a lot of standard situations and gradually the pictures taken in standard conditons will be a very strong and reliable part of the database.

Let's say you would like to see how a Sinar Emotion back might look of an architectural project, we would have those files. If you wanted a runways shot with a 1DII same thing. Download, no charge. That simple.

More you will in many cases have the same subject shot under standard conditions with different cameras and lenses. We'll be evolving the methodologies, but all files will be loaded into iview and the use right info and © ownership will be added.

Access will be limited to photographers who register.

Should there be further limitations? Well you might think about that.

We are essentially expanding what we already have experimented with providing challenges where people download files for examination and some of us then go ahead and edit it and repost it here.

In the expanded offering, we will learn as we go on.

We are dealing with methodologies for storage and distribution. We might make avaialble a certain set of files at one time. Say 50mm from all full frame DLR's with 80mm MF to compare that angle of view.

Uwe Steinmueller has kindly offered to contribute as has Rainer with his Sinar files. Others have offered Olympus anf Phase one RAw files too. We need ll we can get since we seek to be Subject-Camera-lens searchable.

I have some Leaf back files taken from my training as a Leaf Tech. However, we will get sufficient files. As we progress the standard of our collection will improve and our Q.C. and methodologies will evolve.

Sure it's risky handing out good files, but OTH, your name is going with the file and this could bring you more work.

Please feel free to PM me any details you might have for consideration. Broad suggestions are fine to post here. Right now we want support and offers of files to help kick start the collection.

Ultimately you will be able to pick a file from a camera you wonder about with the sort of subject you are interested and see how the files compare with another competing system.

This is especially valuable in choosing between different lenses to go on your camera body or different digital backs or the same backs with Schneider or Zeiss lenses hopefully for the same scene.

I really value your input and help,

Asher

Last edited by Asher Kelman; February 12th, 2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM

You've only mentioned medium format and above cameras in your post. Are you interested in DSLR and above? Where do you want to set your cut off point?

I would suggest nothing below 35mm "type" DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses. This is of course subject to review and change with time and technology. Certainly the sensors aren't exactly 35mm any more!

What do you think?

Tom
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks so much Tom, I've clarified it.

Yes, we want everything from DSLR and above. At first, we'll get disparate files from great camera and lens combinations and a variety of subjects and some side by side with the same camera different lens aperture or between different camera or digital backs.

As we go on we'll greatly refine our colection.

Adding KEY WORDS, if possible, would help.

Even if you don't add your, copyright notice and use the warning of limited use rights, we will!

Also licensing info, the same.

Asher
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Asher,

Ok to send via yousendit.com ?

harvey

Canon, cs2, WinXP

vini vidi velcro : I came, I saw, I stuck around
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:16 AM

Yes Harvey!

Looking forward to your contribution

Thanks,

Asher
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:07 AM

Thanks for the first batch of RAW files. We need as many as we can get!

Asher
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Default Any DNG sample files?

I'm the writing a new application to sync batches of image files from multiple cameras. I'd like to support the DNG format. How do I get access to a sample DNG file?

Thanks,
Joe
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Tell me what you want. Any subject and how many is the minumum? Will it be used just by you? I have not as yet chosen the Leica DNG files but I could.

Also can you use Canon RAW files saved as DNG?

Asher
Old March 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Asher
You have a PM!
1Ds MKII files with 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 landscape shots from helicopter…
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Thanks so very much my great Bordeaux friend.

Asher
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Default Available?

Is the RAW Photo Bank currently available to registered users?

I'm a software developer working on photo software. A photo bank like this would be an incredible resource for me and other developers when testing various raw file formats for compatiblity. There are precious few places available to get samples RAW file from Pro cameras.

The only other places I've seen online with a collection of sample RAWs are:
http://raw.fotosite.pl/
http://www.jirvana.com/raw_large/

But these are by no means complete archives.
I'd be interested to hear of other places.

Thanks,
Ken
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your post. We are only at the beginning of our RAW Photo Bank. However, this is a major commitment and we hope it will be comprehensive.

I'll check the other sites. We need this to be able to bypass the Razzmatazz of the marketing departments and the reviewers of cameras. I have respect for our own abilities to check files ourselves.

If you yourself can provide files from any camera of focused and properly exposed RAW files this would be appreciated, more than that, a source for joy!

Asher
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it being available.

If anyone has any SRF (Sony Raw 1) files they can send me, I'd be greatful. I can't seem to get my hands on one for testing.

Many thanks,
Ken
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM

and then share them with me!

Good luck!

Asher
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Default RAW Photo Bank availability

Asher, was there any progress with the Rawfotobank? How would I access it? (Looking for Leica M8 raws).

www.johncarolan.co.uk
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carolan View Post
Asher, was there any progress with the Rawfotobank? How would I access it? (Looking for Leica M8 raws).
Thanks for the wake-up call! I have limited M8 RAWS. PM sent! The library, unfortunately is still not up. Will address that in good time.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.