• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Advice needed on Background Please

John Harper

Hi There

Not sure if it should be in this forum or in Digital retouching so please accept my apologies if it is wrong.

I would like some advice / comments on the following 2 shots. They were taken at West Sussex Falconry Centre and are of "Benjamin" a Turkestan Eagle Owl.

The 1st shot has a reasonably clean background but i don't have all of his right wing in shot and his talons are not lifted right up.

The 2nd shot i much prefer the shape of the owl and i have both the wings in (just!!) but i have a rather untidy background.

Not being a "Photoshop Wiz" is it possible to take the owl from shot 2 and put him into the background of shot 1 or possibly use the green out of focus grass as a new background completely. I might not have explained that very well but you can probably get the gist of what i am driving at.

Tech details

Shot 1 - EOS1D MKIIN - 70-200F2.8L IS @ 90mm - ISO 400 -1/3200 @f4 set manually and pre focused on the landing glove using * button set with CF4-3

Shot 2 - EOS1D MKIIN - 70-200F2.8L IS @ 70mm - ISO 400 -1/3200 @f4 set manually and pre focused on the landing glove using * button set with CF4-3

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

John

benji1.jpg

benji2.jpg

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi John!

Yes - it´s possible. But it´s a lot of sophisticated work if it has to be nearly perfect.

1) Clone the background in 1 so that no owl is visible. Cut out the right part of the bg and paste it to the left side and fine-tune it, for example.
2) is more complicated: you´ll have to isolate the owl in 2, extract it and copy it into 1.
The feathers are difficult to extract - try Photoshops "extraction" and do it manually piece by piece.

When i have the time, i´ll try it in the evening and give you an example.

best, Klaus

P.S.: i did a rough extract - to extract precisly you have to have a reall high resolution . . ;-)

benji3.jpg

John Harper

Hi John!

Yes - it´s possible. But it´s a lot of sophisticated work if it has to be nearly perfect.

1) Clone the background in 1 so that no owl is visible. Cut out the right part of the bg and paste it to the left side and fine-tune it, for example.
2) is more complicated: you´ll have to isolate the owl in 2, extract it and copy it into 1.
The feathers are difficult to extract - try Photoshops "extraction" and do it manually piece by piece.

When i have the time, i´ll try it in the evening and give you an example.

best, Klaus

P.S.: i did a rough extract - to extract precisly you have to have a reall high resolution . . ;-)

benji3.jpg

Klaus

Even the rough extract looks better than i thought was possible!!

Thats exactly what i wanted to achieve but with the glove showing as well to land on.

I don't know if you or anyone else is up for trying it on the hi res files? i could send either the RAW or large JPG files.

John