• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1Dmk3 - factory menu activated in the firmware (how to disable)?

Bartek Podkowa

Today I came with my 1Dmk3 from the Canon sevice center (which is unfortunatelly 3 hours away by train) and dicovered that the CPS left some service functions activated in my camera menu that are normally not present.

Now I have one more menu item called "Factory menu" that has numerous checking procedures for the camera elements however I don't want to activat them as they probably require the computer with the service software connected. Also my firmware version is now showing the build revision after the 1.1.3. I reloaded the old 1.1.0 firmware as I thought it clears those options, but unfortunatelly after firmware downgrade those same extra options are still there.

Does anyone know if I can deactivate this factory mode by any button combination or do I need to go back to service for them to disable it? I can't find any "exit factory mode" options in that factory menu.

thanks
Bartek

Today I came with my 1Dmk3 from the Canon sevice center (which is unfortunatelly 3 hours away by train) and dicovered that the CPS left some service functions activated in my camera menu that are normally not present.

Hi Bartek, welcome to OPF. It's a pity that CPS forgot to reset it, and finding that out after the long travel.

Now I have one more menu item called "Factory menu" that has numerous checking procedures for the camera elements however I don't want to activat them as they probably require the computer with the service software connected. Also my firmware version is now showing the build revision after the 1.1.3. I reloaded the old 1.1.0 firmware as I thought it clears those options, but unfortunatelly after firmware downgrade those same extra options are still there.

Now before getting it fixed somehow, we are interested in learning the 'Factory' menu options! Could you list them, just to satify our curiosity?

Does anyone know if I can deactivate this factory mode by any button combination or do I need to go back to service for them to disable it? I can't find any "exit factory mode" options in that factory menu.

Other than calling the service center, have you tried removing the batteries for a minute or so (just guessing, it's probably stored in flash memory)? And when you do find out, please let us know.

Bart

Hi, Bartek:

Unfortunately, you can't reset the camera on your own. It will be necessary to return the camera to the Factory Service Center for this purpose.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Bartek Podkowa

Now before getting it fixed somehow, we are interested in learning the 'Factory' menu options! Could you list them, just to satify our curiosity?

Sure, the 'Factory menu' is the last menu item on the first red menu screen and it has the following options (exactly as I read):
- DISPLAY CK
- DIR SW CK
- Lens/CF/SD CK
- BACK SW TEST
- DATA CHK

Additionally at the Firmware version after the 1.1.0 there is now 00.00.00 however 2 days ago it was saying definitely something else (some other hexadecimal value in similar format some BD.80.80). I changed the lens in the meantime and don't have that previous one with me now so I can't verify if the value is being changed according to the lens change. At first I was sure it was some build version of the firmware but it doesn't look like to me now.

Other than calling the service center, have you tried removing the batteries for a minute or so (just guessing, it's probably stored in flash memory)? And when you do find out, please let us know.
Bart

The CPS apologized and confirmed that I have to go back to have it turned off. I will go next week. However the tech also said that RAW shooting might not be the same now as in regular mode in terms of file numbering (??) however JPG is fine - nothing more.

thanks,
Bartek

Bartek Podkowa

Hi, Bartek:
Unfortunately, you can't reset the camera on your own. It will be necessary to return the camera to the Factory Service Center for this purpose.
QUOTE]

Thanks Chuck, I already called and confirmed that there is no way do turn it off without the service computer.

CPS tech also said that RAW shooting might not be the same while in the service mode (without any more explanation).

Can I use the camera just the same way as normally for the next few days before I have it switched back to the user mode? As for right now everything seems to be working just normally including IQ and anything else.

thanks,
Bartek

Bartek Podkowa

Hallo Bart,

one more update is that while the camera is in the service mode it will not communicate with the computer in the normal way (USB connection) as it's dedicated to the service connection at this mode. My camera has been switched back yesterday by the CPS and now the factory diagnostic options in the menu are gone.

Bartek

Hallo Bart,

one more update is that while the camera is in the service mode it will not communicate with the computer in the normal way (USB connection) as it's dedicated to the service connection at this mode. My camera has been switched back yesterday by the CPS and now the factory diagnostic options in the menu are gone.

Bartek

Hallo Bartek,

I'm glad you got it solved. It's a good warning for all of us, check the camera before returning home. Happy shooting!

Bart