• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Christmas day at the farm...

Shane Carter

For critique...thanks.

Oh, and feel free to move this if in the wrong forum...

57490J4O8392.jpg

57490J4O8382.jpg

57490J4O8444.jpg

57490J4O8388.jpg

Whole series of 20 found here: http://www.shanecanfieldphotography.com/g/christmas_at_beth_and_kendlls_farm_2007e

For critique...thanks.

Hi Shane,

1. I like the perspective an overall composition, although it 'feels' too tightly cropped to me.

2. In general, I like this type of shots. A selected part of a scene, creating an abstraction by itself, despite the detail. There is however not enough detail that attracts/focuses the attention, so it is too easy to let ones eyes wander out of the image boundaries. It would have helped to have some strong structure refocus attention (maybe some vignetting can help in this case).

3. The image, as is, seems to be missing something in the lower left corner. However, if you crop something like 10-15% from the top edge, it becomes a great image. Strong leading diagonals from the lower left to the upper right, will keep the viewer's eyes re-scanning the image (in Western cultures that is, I don't know how it works for Orientals).

4. Too much OOF detail. A concentration on the yellowish structures, in portrait orientation, seems very exciting, but I don't know if you can crop and have enough resolution left. That looks like something I'd like to try and reshoot, if possible.

A nice mix of different subjects in the images posted, but there is some room for improvement in composition. I haven't yet looked at the other images in your 'farm' series, but I will do that later.

Bart

Shane Carter

Wow, great critique! These are all full frame so for example, I cannot loosen up 1...but I hear you. Wanted the barn to dominate but over-did it. :) Good idea on 2...looked at that corner for a while thinking about what to do with it. 3 was a tough decision...if you look at the gallery, I have it several other ways too...on may get to what you are thinking. I also used both the 16-35 and the 14mm, went inside for this one. Knew there was something worth getting in there but framing was everything. It was also a little tricky because this is a working farm and the floor of the side building was covered with PVC pipes, plastic buckets, etc. Decisions, decisions. :) Great observation on the last one. Have another on the link with less destractions that might be better. And I will take all this info for the next time I shoot up there...should be around Easter. Thanks so much for the detailed look and feedback! This is a new kind of shooting and takes some new thinking as well. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Barts points are excellent.

I agree about the close cropping and feel I must sound like a broken record. My impression is that the mantra of "frame closely and crop even closer" or words to that effect, often is poor advice as art is a bargaining between many ideas in the mind and the developing art that you are creating engraved in light, dark, colors and even texture or the feeling of these.

I feel it is performance art and limited in progession when one just snaps an image and thinks it's over. So I think one should err on the wide side and get more of the milieu of the subject that captures your heart, the beginning of the romance that makes art, from the best positon and lighting, for these are the foundations of the photographic picture. The deciding work, however is in the wet or digital darkroom. Here the cropping, further exclusions and a myriad of choice have to be made and makes the imprint which will either leave the picture ordinary or perhaps once in a while yield an outstanding photograph.

To have robbed oneself of the choices of refined thoughtful bargained composition becasue the subject was already framed too tightly is, in my opinion, a mistake. In work for a client, tighter work may be a necessity of workflow and time allocatable. However, for full expression for artwork, I would be mopre generous knowing one can reaffirm one's impulsive decisions or else modify them.

To extend this further, it's necessary to sometimes present one picture on its own, even at time with a special frame to isolate it from the page and create the correct background from which each photograph can be observed, enjoyed and even understood as you might intend or according to the viewers own unique perception.

Your pictures deserve handling one at a time. So, if you might agree, presenting one of them and getting discussion might do better justice to your work.

There is no need to do what I suggest if you think your pictures all belong together. But where they might be separated to advantage, I'd wager we'd do better.

Asher