• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alex

Nolan Sinclair

Thought I'd share a picture of one of my miniature pinschers, Alex.

I think the shot alludes a little to her personality, but my opinion is obviously biased.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thought I'd share a picture of one of my miniature pinschers, Alex.
I think the shot alludes a little to her personality, but my opinion is obviously biased.

What a good looking dog! nolan I do like the simple documentation without any alterations. any special plans for the picture? What will happen to it?

Since I know nothing of your own wishes and style, all I can say is I like the picture and the sleak lines of the dog. The right paw is cute. All the organized disorder of what is really in a real kitchen is great too. Still, some points that I might consider.

It helps make the pet more important if one shoots from a lower level. People often make the dogs subservient below themselves. While that is fine from one perspective, the "dogness" of being a dog might not be recorded so well. Another point is the presence of a shadow on the floor. That can be a great feature to work on. Nothing I say means that the picture has to be changed or would be better, I'm just mentioning a potential place to explore. One last issue is whether one might want to leave the lighting uniform or darken, a little, the areas you might not think so important.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to your dog being willing to pose again for us!

Asher

Nolan Sinclair

Thank you for the input, Asher.

any special plans for the picture? What will happen to it?

Well, the wife and I are moving back to Canada very soon. I'd like to decorate my house with some of my photos, and this is definitely a candidate.

Please forgive my ignorance, I've only been shooting for a couple of years now and I'm completely self taught, but is there something beyond sticking a photo on Flickr and maybe in a frame at home?

Since I know nothing of your own wishes and style, all I can say is I like the picture and the sleak lines of the dog.

I'm pretty confused about my wishes and style. I generally shoot everyday things and try not to overthink things and try to listen to my gut.

It helps make the pet more important if one shoots from a lower level. People often make the dogs subservient below themselves. While that is fine from one perspective, the "dogness" of being a dog might not be recorded so well

This is an excellent point, and something I'll definitely pay attention to it in the future. It's something I've unconsciously done in the past, but I guess didn't occur at the time. I just tried positioning the camera close to the floor and made a shot of same area in the kitchen and results are really interesting.

For this shot I just grabbed my camera which was sitting beside me and shot from where I was sitting on the sofa. The thing I was trying to do was cut off the wife's face/head from the shot, evoking Family Dog.

One last issue is whether one might want to leave the lighting uniform or darken, a little, the areas you might not think so important.

I actually really struggle with this. My wife reminds me it's called black and white and not grey.

Ray West

Hi Nolan,

An interesting first post. A sort of kitchen 'street photography' style. There are a number of things you could try, none of which are guaranteed to improve anything, but often the journey is the destination. I actually like it as it is, grey and all, but I or someone else may be along in a minute, and show some other effect.

Do you have photoshop or something similar (I'm assuming it was a digital camera of some sort, but it may not be.)

Don't worry about only been doing it for a couple of years. If you have an eye, and a gut, you will be 90% there. The rest is just a bit of practice.

Best wishes,

Ray

Nolan Sinclair

Thanks Ray!

Do you have photoshop or something similar (I'm assuming it was a digital camera of some sort, but it may not be.)

I'm using ACR and CS3 to process images from an M8 and occasionally a GR Digital.

Ray West

Hi Nolan,

I thought I could do something simple with the levels in PS, but couldn't. You have the bright bit in the fridge/freezer handle, and the black of the dog. The greyness is really due to the white kitchen units. I think it could be brightened up, but it would need a fair bit of selectivity to get it right.

Now someone can say, 'No, all you do is click click, and there you go' ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray