• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sokolarski Centar - Sibenik - Croatia

Sometimes you come across a place that just makes you stop in awe. My jaw just dropped to the floor, and stayed there. Wow, what a first impression.

The Sokolarski Centar in Dubrava, a tiny village outside of Sibenik in Croatia, is a rescue center and hospital for birds of prey. It's a hidden away in the hills of Dalmatia and it took us ages to find. A helpful local elder gave us specific instructions (in native Croatian) and when he saw me taking a left turn where I should have gone right he never hesitated, jumped in his car and came to our rescue. After a very bumpy ride over a narrow winding sandpath, lined with stone walls we finally saw a hidden gate: there it was.

Insecure if it was even open to the public or if we were a the right location we parked the car and after a couple of steps I suddenly stood face to face with a European Uhu. No cages, bars or fences, just a stick and a thin rope secured to the bird's leg. It quickly became clear that this was no ordinary sanctuary. The animals are not on display but they're out in the open, shielded from the sun by the many trees.

5056676ao8.jpg

This owl was one of the first inhabitants and already in the center for years. Victim of "human stupidity" she was once some one's pet, discarded and neglected. The owner of the sanctuary took her in and she is one of the causes his family started the center. Run by Emilio, founder and driving force behind the center they took on the care for this owl and soon more birds followed, all with the ultimate goal to (re-)introduce them back into their natural habitat. As the only rescue center for birds of prey the center grew to what it is today. And everywhere you can feel the pure love and fascination for these birds.

The owl showed this dog who's the boss.

5056762lh2.jpg

2. about 3x its normal size with its feathers out like a peacock. Aparently size DOES matter!

Most birds are brought in wounded or disoriented. Also there are animials being brought in by local residents who find -injured- wild birds in their surroundings (they are a status symbol after all in some cultures). And the new 4-lane highway straight through their habitat is not helpful and also causes a lot of casualties. Birds like these use landmarks for orienting and such a large new landmark confuses them.

5056731yw0.jpg

3. Almost ready to be return to the woods.

5056727es6.jpg

4. The sanctuary allows each animals to fly freely for at least one hour a day. There are several trainers handling the birds and regularly they have to chase the birds. The area is so remote the animals are usually found in the near surroundings.

These little owls were just brought in. The parents were shot and the tree with their nest was cut down. Only then they discovered the two little orphans. These little fluffy creatures happened to be true escape artists and were quietely sitting outside the fence waiting to be returned.

img3196zo9.jpg

The caretaker took us around the center for over two hours. The information on the animals and the center, my two sons were involved in a playfull way and could help with cleaning. Actually, more a day helping out in the rescue center then going to a zoo.

5056752vl0.jpg

6. after lunch care

5056796hv3.jpg

7. Emilio follows a bird.

All very impressive and fascinating how someone can have such a drive and (com)passion for these birds. I did not have a clue we would encounter this and all I had with me was my E-1, a 300mm F4 MF legacy lens and a monopod.

Not all fair to tell about one person only, there were also a vet and two local assitants. And offcourse the dog, Astor.

I quietely sat down in a corner and started to observe. After a while the roles switch and it was them looking a me, what's that "evil eye" doing there? With over 2 Gb of images there luckilly were some sharp results.

5056689aa2.jpg

8. Wow, what a magnificent bird.

Usually I am always fiddeling with camera to (try to) get an interesting image from an ordinary scene. Now the subject is already wonderfull and all that remained was to try and capture the beauty and character of these animals.

5056779xi2.jpg

9. and yes, more than one try

5056705es4.jpg

10. hmm, also more than 10

5056696qv2.jpg

11. and than some

Out of selection of over hundred shots finding it hard to chose a favourite. Truly a great experience to visit the center and we may try to generate some donations. In case you're interested in visiting them you are more then welcome!

Regards, Martin