• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EF 600mm f/4L IS USM

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hello
I could be in a short time on the market for a EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, maybe "only" a EF 500mm f/4L IS USM…

What are your experiences with these lenses?
How do you carry them when transcontinental flying?

John Hurshman

I use 500 f/4, and think it is an excellent lens. Sharp... focuses quickly and accurately with 1DMkII; relatively light for such a long/fast lens. 500 f/4 works very well with Canon 1.4x TC. While some try to handhold this lens, I would not recommend it. All my work has been on tripod w/ Kinesis head/bracket or on a beanbag. Lens/1DMKII balances extremely well on Kinesis head. I've traveled US-Europe-Africa with lens in a Kinesis long lens case with shoulder harness, and had no problems (pre most recent problems at Heathrow). This long lens case is also great to work with in a moving vehicle... strap upright to something, keeps lens/body clean and well protected, fast and convenient access.

Since birds are my primary interest, I bought a 600L/f4 IS several years ago, and would do it again today. Whether the 500L/f4 IS would be a better choice (cheaper, smaller, lighter) obviously will depend on your subject matter. I find that for birds, even with the 600L, I'm using either a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter a lot of the time, and on occasion, even both.

I carry mine in a Kinesis long lens case with shoulder harness (and put the 1DMk2 body in the pouch on the back), and it fits well into most airline overhead bins (even on some smaller jets). It will often get some comments about size (or cost) when going through the x-ray check-in process, and I'll occasionally need to take it out for them to physically examine, but so far it hasn't been a problem in travels to Costa Rica, Canada, New Zealand, various locations within the U.S., etc.).

I'm in the minority in not using the full Wimberley head - I use the ArcaSwiss B1 and Wimberley Sidekick (mounted on a Gitzo 1325), and it works well for me.

Hope this helps.

nicolas claris

Thanks John and Don for both helpfull replies.
I shoot boats at sea and cannot use a tripod.
I oftenly use a EF400mm f/5.6L USM at high speeds (1000 to 2000th/s) with no prob, but I understand that 600mm is another story!

I'll wait for the annoucement of the 1DS Mk III (I use the Mk II), to see where I'll drop my money...

Best

Alan T. Price

if you are shooting from a boat at sea then you will surely benefit from IS.
if you are unable to use a tripod then you will find the 600mm too heavy.
That's simple, because it leaves just the 500mm f/4 IS.

Normally, though, I would expect that you would be more impressed by the 600 than the 500 if you already have a 400.

You may find a 300 IS plus TC is good enough for your needs. I recently bought a 300 f/2.8 IS knowing that I can use a 1.4x or 2x TC and still get a reasonably sharp image, and that if I want to use 600 often enough then I will get the 600. Perhaps I'm a wimp, but I find even the 300 is too heavy to hold up for long.

nicolas claris

Finally I got outside without having spent a cent!

Last Saturday, I went to B&H (a kind of La Mecque for photog, if I may say so, those who have been there will understand...), with in mind to get an IS 600 mm and maybe an Eizo if I could compare side by side different models.

It was so huge and crowdy unimaginable! C'est l'Amérique!

Tried the 600mm, definitively too heavy handheld… the guy forgot to let me try the 500…

I didn't feel well there - enough to not being able to think and ask about the 500 - impossible to say why, maybe to much supermarket aspect, I prefer more cosy corners where I can talk and discuss with the salesman. Typically French? maybe…

Went to the computers area to see these Eizo: not on display, only on the web!

Finally I got outside without having spent a cent!

I got a happy banker!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas Claris said:
Last Saturday, I went to B&H!

Are you sure. TTBOMK, they are closed for the Sabbath! It must have been Friday or Sunday, n'est ce pas?

Asher

P.S. I wouldn't have left without the 500mm I.S., BTW

nicolas claris

Asher Kelman said:
Are you sure. TTBOMK, they are closed for the Sabbath! It must have been Friday or Sunday, n'est ce pas?
For sure, you're right that was Sunday morning!
So many people in this shop on a SUnday morning, they should have been at the church! ;-)

Asher Kelman said:
P.S. I wouldn't have left without the 500mm I.S., BTW
Yes crazy me, but this so crowded place didn't make me feel good… very curious...

Jim Gilley

I own both the 400/2.8 and 600/4, both are big and heavy - forget any ideas about hand-holding either one. I'm a big guy and it's simply impossible. Both are very nice on a tripod. The 400 is sharper and is also easier to focus manually (I do nearly all my focusing manually). Although I don't own the 500/4, I think this is the lens I would get if I was serious about birding, since it's nearly as strong as the 600, but much lighter. I don't know if my uses are of value to you, but if so, you can check out my thoughts at:http://www.grumpysworld.com/photoguide/ef400-28.htm and at:http://www.grumpysworld.com/photoguide/ef600-4.htm for what that's worth...

Barry Johnston

600mm f/4 Vs 600mm f/4 IS

EF600mm f/4 vs EF600mm f/4 IS

Besides the IS capability, would there be any difference in IQ between these two lenses. I know someone selling the non-IS version and am interested in buying it for around 4700$Au. Not sure if that is a reasonable price, can anyone give me any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Barry.

EF600mm f/4 vs EF600mm f/4 IS

Besides the IS capability, would there be any difference in IQ between these two lenses.

That's an important 'besides'. I'm a huge fan of IS, especially for longer (say 200mm and up) focal lengths. Not only do they stabilize the viewfinder image, but they are very effective in reducing camera shake. Especially with these very heavy 600mm monsters, the slightest vibration will rapidly turn the results from keepers into tossers.

Given it's slightly better image quality, and lower weight, the 500mm IS version is preferred by some over the 600mm IS version (as mentioned in this review of the 600mm IS version). The use of extenders e.g. 1.4x will magnify the optical differences between the 500mm and the 600mm.

While I have no actual personal comparitive experience with the two 600mm lenses, I'd place more value on the IS vs non-IS effects than the presumably small optical differences (although the IS version is of a later design date, which could also suggest an improved optical design). The IS version also appears to be slightly lighter, which helps when hauling it around.

Bart

nicolas claris

Shot from helicopter
1Ds MK3 - Canon 500 mm IS - RRS ballhead mounted on a carbon monopod used in the shortest length and supported on the seat cushion
ISO 200 - 1/400s - ƒ10

_45R4583_C1.jpg

100% crop

_45R4583_C1_100.jpg

Boat was running 39 knots (about 70 KM/h)

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
39 knots? I just see one!

Yes this is a lens to take beautiful pictures. Do you have a harness to keep your cameras under some control? How do you prevent one Hy6 from being whacked by the massive Eos lens?

It is remarkable how you have brought so many things together. The model is perfect and is ready for you. He suit is so fine. She looks the part of living the wonderful super rich lifestyle and not being ruined.

The boat is stunning. I looked through all your shots and to me you have gone up to an entirely new level. I wonder how you manage to get the helicopter pilot or chase boat captain to do as you wish. Do you yell at the pilot who then radios to the yacht captain?

There is such a lot to do. Imagine if the girl was not ready at the time of your flyby!

Oh yes, and then there's the horizon. I see getting dizzy just getting the horizon straight!

Asher

nicolas claris

Thanks Asher

As you talk about other pics I sent you, here they are… all uncropped pics…

The 2 models are professional, from Brazil but working for a while in Turkey.

I have a harness to hold me inside the chopper and a strap around my neck for the canon and another one for the Sinar (The Sinar's pics will be posted in the diary a little later)

In the helicopter, I have beside me my travelling case with the Sinar lenses together with the Canon's.

Switchinf from one system to the other is somewhat extremely demanding, in concentration, both for different photography and technics as well. After one hour flight over the boat, I felt more than exhausted… empty!

I talk to the pilot with a mike and can hear him in the earphone. The all is extremely noisy, but I realize it only after landing… Such exercise just drop me in another world, I'm part of the helicopter and the cameras al together, no way to think about something else…

When I need a rest, I give the hand to Romain who needs different helicopter ride for the video…

We don't talk to the boat captain or the crew nor to the models, all figures have been prepared before, I did brief everyone to my needs and just give some visual indications (next/ stop etc…) plus a good place for improvisation…

nicolas claris

I spent 3 days shooting In Porto Cervo (Sardignia) last week, during the Boat International Silver Jubilee regattas… While you'll soon see some Sinar's shot in my diary here in MF forum, I wanted to share my latest finding…
Forget monopod and expensive balls! use your own arms (do some sport if needed ;-) and adjust your shots!
All the shots below have been shot handheld, from a moving chaseboat…

All being 1Ds Mk3 files:

1/200 - ƒ5 - ISO 200
_45R0139.jpg

1/6400 - ƒ4 - 400 ISO
_45R9082.jpg

1/6400 - ƒ4 - 400 ISO
_45R9068.jpg

1/3200 - ƒ4 - 200 ISO
_45R0105.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

1/400 - ƒ13 - 200 ISO
_45R0102.jpg

1/640 - ƒ6.3 - ISO 200
_45R0087.jpg

1/2000 - ƒ4 - 200 ISO
_45R0165.jpg

1/1600 - ƒ.6.3 - ISO 200
_45R0306.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Hi Will

Sorry to wait so long before posting the requested exif infos!

In the meantime, I have changed the first pic of the serie, it was shot with the 70-200 @ 200mm!

Last edited:
This is a good example of an effect that Caravaggio frequently uses in works like "The Taking of Christ" and "The Calling of St. Matthew" to create a sense of visual ambiguity and dynamism--

Caravaggism_45R0165.jpg

It took me a moment to figure out whose limbs belonged to whom. I hadn't thought about this potential use for long lenses, but with the combination of the compression effect and team members are in uniform, it could be a neat trick used intentionally.

nicolas claris

Ah!
Hi David, amazing sight you have… I obviousy thaught there were some dynamism with these guys there, pointing to something up, on top of them.
I like your conclusion… Though I'll keep my mind atheist! ;-)

Thanks for posting this interesting point of view, another proof that one can see different pictures from the same.