• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Irish beauty

Teaching location workshops are always fun, but it's a shame there is little time to shoot yourself, still here are some shots I wanted to share from the Cork, Ireland workshops.

Workshop_Cork_22_November_2008_47.jpg

Workshop_Cork_21_November_2008_34.jpg

Workshop_Cork_21_November_2008_40.jpg

Workshop_Cork_22_November_2008_30.jpg

MvrGr.
Frank

Doug Kerr

Hi, Frank,
Teaching location workshops are always fun, but it's a shame there is little time to shoot yourself, still here are some shots I wanted to share from the Cork, Ireland workshops.

Lovely work, all, and very diverse.

For me, in number 1, I would have liked to have seen the castle a little lighter. It looks "artificially" dark and unsaturated. (Of course, that might be well appropriate, depending on the intended use of the shot. In fashion advertising, perhaps, that might have been the best.)

The model in 2 and 3 has a wonderful "lush" look. (Did you get her to hold a Colorright MAX?)

Hi,
I mainly shoot fashion so the background for my PERSONAL taste is always a bit darker than normal.

I did use a neutral graycard to balance, but after that I did some warming to make her skin get a more paintery warm look.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I like these more than any of yours I have seen. But then I'm impulsive sometimes :)

Workshop_Cork_22_November_2008_47.jpg

Frank,

Contrary to Doug's objections, immediately I appreciated the castle being dark. We only need a hint of the castle and a beautiful, but confident woman waitng*. There's so much widespread and deep mythology about castles that this dark appearance works well for me. But Doug, I'm a dreamer! It's just a presence, a dark hint. Castles have great power, are cold and can be a refuge or a prison. I admire this photograph. I'd have to push myself to find fault, but I can point to a need, perhaps for a little more separation which might be achieved by back lighting. Was this lit by one Elinchron Octa?

*In the olden times, the Lord of the castle had the right to "invite" her to deliver herself to him on her wedding night!

Workshop_Cork_21_November_2008_40.jpg

The left leg and her left shoulder are strongest; how did you light her? I really like the posture of her left hand and it's relationship to the book. That's a separate image of interest to me.

Workshop_Cork_22_November_2008_30.jpg

This last pictures is an artistic rendering that surprises me. Could you PM me just about this and how you made it and the post processing and what was your thinking. I may want to revisit this some more later.

Thanks for sharing your new work!

Asher

MvrGr = ?

MvrGr = Met vriendelijke Groeten.
Or
With kind regards

The outside shots could only be lit by one lightsource due to limitations in the available equiptment.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like number 1 the best. It reminds me of Annie Leibowitz a little. Maybe a little to bright on the face.

Cheers,

Doug
Doug,

Yes, I like the pciture and also #4. That one has enough grunge in it to make it seem edgy and somehow more real, but of course we know it's a blending effect of a photograph of a wall and the Irish lass. I find this really effective with this picture which has an essential elegance but set in an urban environment.

I like the movement that Frank has taken from just glamor. Glamor and class is one notch better and that's what I like in these two pictures!

Asher

Love all of them Frank, this is the kind of stuff I'm trying to develop and refine at the moment.

Ref:The Castle shot, I'm guessing it was shot with one portable flash (perhaps ProPhoto, Lumedyne, Quantum?) but I would love to know which modifier you used that was manageable in the Irish climate. I'd be amazed if you were able to use an Elinchrom Octa (unless it was a small one, do they make them small?). I am very keen to know what portable systems (and their modifiers, softboxes, octas etc) are actually manageable and practical in the situations we find ourselves in when on outdoor location in UK/Europe. I'm pretty sure you haven't just used the standard reflector on the light in that shot.

As I have said, this is something I'm extremely interested in at the moment and I have been using Quantum and lumedyne, this last six months or so and am keen to learn to get the most from them particularly in an outdoor location, situation (under the challengs we have with weather conditions in the UK and western (cold, windy and wet) Europe.

Again though Frank, beautiful work.

Hi,
In this case an Elinchrom Ranger with a strip light.

I use Rangers in my normal work and think they are great.
I have shot in the freezing cold, californian blistering sun and in the pouring rain with them and they keep on shooting.
Only in the rain you have to be VERY carefull because the heads or not 100% waterproof.