• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Mississippi River Fun

Minde Grantham

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Minde,

So you have a 50D but what lens? The river gives a lot of opportunity but it's tough that one cannot easilly get to a better position to compose. You have chosen to show 3 different subjects. Each haas it's own special nature and are better deal wiuth as separate posts. However, lets deal with them together as there are common issues.

First the good! I like the story you can tell by watching the boats and tigs plying up and down the river. You might watch how they negotiate different bends or bridges and how they manouver to a dock or the guys stop for a breather and a leak!

I remember going up one of Florida's waterways and the 26 foot Chris Craft motor vessel was coming nicely to dock when for some reason the tide changed, the boat sunk and then came up under the dock and ripped of the giant planks as if they were match wood.

This picture you have taken needs to be part of the surounding mileux to make it make snese or else remarkable in itself. You have a rich subject matter to draw on.

Now you had your camera set to manual exposure and the ISO to just 100 and the shutter was 1/20! For a moving boat, I'd have chosen something like 1/500 second or faster. Although your lens likely has image stabilization, use a higher shutter speed! Your aperture was set toi f22. Now that is mighty tiny! At that small size, one is getting iterference from the aperture blades and this degrades your image. Why not use an aprture of say f8, ISO 400 and then the shutter speed would have been 1/640. That way your image would be sharper for less movement. Sure, the depth of field decreases but one of the tools one has to work with is the ability to limit one's focus to one part of what one can see.

You did better with the bird at 1/800 sec and f 5.6, but again ISO at 100 is a trade I'd only do with a closer subject. At 300mm, you could have stopped down to f8 and used ISO 200..

Now the walkway is surpising to me. This subject can be haunting, frighteni9ng or plain boring. You have chosen again f22. That means you wanted extenses depth of field. You shutter speed is again slow at 1/13 sec? Was the camera on a tripod? Unless there's a special reason, I try not to use low speeds like this handheld unless I'm seeking to creatively blur the subject or background.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This picture, Minde, is a huge challenge! It's probably the last picture of the three you shared that folk would comment on.

So let's look at it by itself. We have a path with carpet of dry leaves, lined by bare trees thowning shadows over it's length. At the end, there's a lone stanchion/post painted black and white. Otherwise, the picture is bleak. There's no activity, hardly any movement and little tension.

So, I'd like to know what was it about this path that caught your imagination. I've thought a lot about this picture. Does it show what you had in mind?

IMG_1885.jpg

I have studied this path and now wonder how far off my own ideas are from yours. I'm not prejudging the picture either as a snapshot of no consequence or as art. None of that, not the quality of the idea or it's execution, just what were you about at that time? What transpired afterwards in selecting this image. This is not some academic test, LOL! I'm really interested as this type of shot is not uncommon but the meanings can be from trivial to more ambitious.

Asher