• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

ah hummnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Imants K
Thread with links only to galleries without at least one teasing picture posted are not the way to use OPF.
OPF is not a link page of some website, OPF is dedicated to see/look/show/share pictures for C&C or even just showing. But showing.
BTW it would be usefull to have such an Artist like you to help others with your own C&C of their works.
Sharing ain't one way only.

Thank you for your understanding.

Imants K

Banned
Nicolas it is the same poor comment from you every time I post............ gotta problem with it simple then don't open the link. You have had this I hate Imants attitude ever since I posted my christian name and surname initial, time to get over it!

this is a mouse rollover...... http://www.etrouko.com.au/imants.htm

Nicolas it is the same poor comment from you every time I post............ gotta problem with it simple then don't open the link. You have had this I hate Imants attitude ever since I posted my christian name and surname initial, time to get over it!

this is a mouse rollover...... http://www.etrouko.com.au/imants.htm

Hi Imants,

It's not just Nicolas ..., he is just the one expressing a broader felt sentiment! Don't shoot the messenger, and all that.

Personally I love your work, but I hate to have to put in an effort to even see a glimps of your new work when you post at OPF. I think it is showing disrespect for the OPF members, when you only post a link (only about your own work, never anything constructive on other posts). It signals that you are (ab)using OPF to promote your own work, without concern for what a forum like OPF could bring in terms of a dialog/feedback.

Again, I like your work (but I don't like your methods). I also don't care to really comment on your works, because it seems like a one way communication to begin with anyway (so why waste any more of my precious time).

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Remember Hans Brinker?

I guess I'm here, with one finger in the dyke.

Like Bart, I am very interested in Imant's K's work and would like pictures to fill that empty space above the text.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Imant's,

This is how it can be presented well, like in a gallery with white space all around. Here's a an idea based on XYZ

EGAMI
EGAMI

Comments welcome!

Asher Kelman

Sure I could write a constructive comment about some work, they would be harsh critiques about poor choices and mistakes as that is what my students expect of me.

That, Imants, is what we expect here! No one is looking for "lala" dreamy comments, just the good and the shortfalls and ways to improve. There must be something redeeming, even the concept. Then scathe or cut as you wish, but for sure you can allow the person to have some idea how to rebuild. We're used to addressing faults and do it in an courteous manner. The last thing we want is critique to be dishonest or empty, but we do want courtesy. So I would welcome your feedback. I'm sure you wouldn't burn the whole place down, LOL!

Asher

Imants K

Banned
I do that/and have done on a forum and all hell breaks loose
That is the usual scenario that is seen in forum after forum by anyone who is critical of others. A forum just isn't a practical place for critiques as someone always takes offense a................... better off skyping atleast the other person is seen

Asher Kelman

That is the usual scenario that is seen in forum after forum by anyone who is critical of others. A forum just isn't a practical place for critiques as someone always takes offense a................... better off skyping atleast the other person is seen
Imants,

I assure you we can deal with tough criticism. I don't think you would have any difficulty expressing your opinions in a way that's helpful, civil and unique. The folk here are not "the usual scenario".

Asher

Imants K

Banned
It is not about a link to my site it is the image presented on the link....... from there there is a link to my site if one wants to go sometimes there is no link. The image on the htm changes over time as well

nicolas claris

I use links because it is probably the best way of presenting my images. Sticking a photo in a forum blog etc between text etc does not enhance the presentation.
I could present the images like this http://etrouko.com.au/art/esviens.jpg ........but that is lousy presentation. So I go to the trouble of linking to a htm document http://www.etrouko.com.au/im.htm

..... just a sign of being lazy.

Sure I could write a constructive comment about some work, they would be harsh critiques about poor choices and mistakes as that is what my students expect of me. I do that/and have done on a forum and all hell breaks loose ......... most accept the pat on the back but not the other.
So it is better to say nothing................. or just ban me if you are so upiddy up about it.

You are completely out of subject and unpolite by the way to people who do explain that they like your work.
Should you be interested by something else than you, you should know that if someone is not lazy in OPF it's Bart! His contributions are heavily loaded with strong comments, advices and tecnical explanations that I doubt you have any idea about.
Now, regarding the use of fora (may I explain you that fora is the plural of forum?), get a dictionnary and learn what is a forum. Lazy yourself? :

Etymology
From Latin forum (“public market place”, “forum”).
Noun
forum (plural forums or fora)
A place for discussion.
A gathering for the purpose of discussion.
A form of discussion involving a panel of presenters and often participation by members of the audience.
An Internet message board where users can post messages regarding one or more topics of discussion.
Source

Finally, a photo of a Latin forum:

med-la-forum-romain-visoterra-18110.jpg

source and more images (yes a link now!)

PS.
Originally Posted by Imants K
Luckily for evertone here, I have not posted this so called
hate Imants attitude
each time you have posted links, and never noticed that you posted a specific
christian name and surname initial
I don't have to love or hate your work to ask you to follow the easy short rules and nice behavior we're asking in OPF.
Yes commenting other's work is difficult, it needs a bunch of emphaty and having strong reasons, being itself modest and 'courtois'. If you're so, then you may tell your real truth (look at Asher's and Cem's posts to name a few) and will be gladly accepted by posters.
Last but not least, feeling as being an artist do not allow you to require to be banned, this would be to much a favor and so "cliché"!

Imants K

Banned
I have stated how I present my images it is simple, nothing impolite about it. I post images in order to present them the best way possible, isolated on a background on a screen without a myriad of other posts to distract

You post as you feel fit, I have no bug the way you post your images.

If one states he couldn't be bothered to click a link that is lazy! It has nothing to do with like or dislike .

b
but I hate to have to put in an effort to even see a glimps of your new work when you post at OPF.
sounds like the person doesn't like them enough to make an effort or is it just being impolite?
So as per usual on this forum a we are having a discussion about presentation on the net........ that goes in line with A place for discussion.

Feel free to ignore me Nicholas as I am taking up that perogative about you after this post........ it will make things easier for you

Cem_Usakligil

I am not going to add my thoughts to this discussion since Nicolas and Bart have already expressed them on my behalf. The only thing I am going to say is that this is the last time we are having this discussion. We have made very clear to you Imants many times now what the rules of the game in OPF are. If you don't want respect them, fine then stay away. But the next time you post something which breaches our TOS and rules of conduct, I am going to delete it immediately. Just so you know.

nicolas claris

Cem is certainly not nasty but you're so arrogant!

the obvious rule in OPF is to post images so they can be seen here and then eventually commented and critiqued (unless the poster states "sharing only")
So yes you break the rule.
Last warning from me also.

I have stated how I present my images it is simple, nothing impolite about it. I post images in order to present them the best way possible, isolated on a background on a screen without a myriad of other posts to distract

May I then suggest that you do not post on the web at all. The best way to present images is as large format output on a well lit wall. Even the place it takes amongs other works in that room can be part of a composition, preparing the viewer for some emotion.

Web publishing of images is a compromise. The web can excel in other ways of information exchange. When you already make that compromise, it's even more polite to present the reader with a preview of what they can expect if they follow the invitation to click on a link. By preparing a small example of what's to follow, you show that you have made an effort to entice the reader, now viewer, to go and visit you.

Not taking the courtesy to make a proper invitation, could be considered an insult. The excuse that the presentation in a forum is not the best way to present the work, is a lame excuse to be honest.

OPF is a collection of fora (AKA forums) for people with an interest in (photographic) images and everything that helps to make better images. The agreed mode of conduct is to communicate with images (however limited the presentation possibilities may be) and comments. The goal is to help/amuse/educate/share/learn/etc. towards better images (our own or those of others). We practice what's called 'tough love' as a method. We speak our mind, in a polite way (because it is more effective), and prefer to illustrate it with images in these various forums.

If one states he couldn't be bothered to click a link that is lazy! It has nothing to do with like or dislike .

It seems you do not (want to) understand. It is lazy to not post an inviting image, it's even offensive.

So as per usual on this forum a we are having a discussion about presentation on the net........ that goes in line with A place for discussion.

That's correct, it's an aspect of a forum about photography (especially when there is no image posted to talk about). We are not here to celebrate "Imants K", we are here to enjoy photography.

Cheers,
Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.