• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Another useful Photo Editing application (not free)

Robert Watcher

Came across a photo organizing and editing application that wasn’t on the radar when I purchased on1 for my MacMini a couple of years ago. Photomator came out early last year, based on the iOS app Pixelmator. It works within the Apple framework only, and in a way provides functionality to iPhotos that was lost when Apple stopped developing Aperture years ago. It is fully integrated into iPhotos, but also in the last couple of months has added a file manager that allows for accessing Files from iCloud, Google Photos, Dropbox, Hard Drives, etc.

My motivation for considering it and purchasing the Lifetime license, is based on my 3 week European adventure to Holland, England and Belgium in April. I will not be taking a laptop and so was hunting around to see what was currently available for full featured editing and inclusion of some of the AI technologies I have in on1 - example subject, sky and background detection. My go to iOS application in Snapseed and I advocate it. I purchased Affinity Photo for iPad and do make use of it primarily when I have layering and composite needs. But both Snapseed and Affinity Photo, do not any facility for working with directories of photos.

In reality, the best option is Lightroom for iPad, but I made the decision a couple of years ago to give up my Adobe subscription. On1 has an App for tablets, but requires a subscription - so I have no idea how it works. For my needs I have taken a gamble on Photomator. Especially since one License allows the application to be used on my macOS desktop, my iPad and my iPhone. It appears to be the closest thing to what I could do in Lightroom. Here are a few screenshots taken running on my iPad. All non-destructive editing that can be modified on different devices and all iOS Sharing and iCloud features

Info here: https://www.pixelmator.com/photomator/

——

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

iPhotos Integration

IMG_2114.jpeg

New Filemanager

IMG_2115.jpeg

Basic Editing Panels (handles 600 RAW formats)

IMG_2116.jpeg

Robert Watcher

AI subject detection masking

IMG_2117.jpeg

AI sky detection masking (Background detection also available)

IMG_2118.jpeg

Masks can be edited and refined (missing is edge detection marching ants)

IMG_2119.jpeg

Cropping including AI Auto mode, basic perspective controls

IMG_2120.jpeg

AI Upresing, Denoise and Debanding (active development it appears. Not as good as products like topaz, but I don’t have them with me on my iPad when travelling)

IMG_2121.jpeg

Decent Customization of editing tools

IMG_2122.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

Very nice. The masking is of course just wondrous!

By the way, I find the example shot of the woman working on a quilt to be of itself very charming!

Thanks for this nice review.

Doug

Robert Watcher

Hi, Robert,

Very nice. The masking is of course just wondrous!

By the way, I find the example shot of the woman working on a quilt to be of itself very charming!

Thanks for this nice review.

Doug

I appreciate that Doug.

That woman working on the quilt, is my charming wife Anne. She has a constant stream of quilts going out of her workspace - commissioned and mostly gifts that the recipients treasure for life. No better way to get someone to love you. 😉

Anne’s website is https://craftedcomforts.com

I have started taking a lot of photos and some back story videos of her projects as a record of her skills.

—-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is wonderful, especially getting access to directories.

How much is it?

Does it include ads for in app purchases and why not get Pixelmaker Pro instead as it also has layers?

Asher

Robert Watcher

This is wonderful, especially getting access to directories.

How much is it?

Does it include ads for in app purchases and why not get Pixelmaker Pro instead as it also has layers?

Asher

I’m not sure of the USD price. I believe it is subscription model ($29.99 yearly, $4.99 monthly) or a lifetime purchase fee ($99.99). I paid more in CAD at $149.00. But at least I own the app.

How I looked at it (from what I read as I couldn’t try it) is that Pixelmator is kind of like Photoshop - very full featured —— and Photomator is more like Lightroom and is a modern app dependant on some AI technology. Different workflows. One has an extensive toolset for single image editing, and the other works well for batch editing, quick selections and adjustments. That is my understanding anyway.

Going back to 2008 when we started travelling, I have virtually always used and preferred Lightroom for all of my organizing and editing - even though it didn’t have the feature set of Photoshop. Powerful Photoshop and Affinity Photo have their limited use in my workflow.

A lot has changed since March of 2000 when Anne and I returned home from Central America because of Covid. Being we are always home in our apartment, I have abandoned my laptop in favour of new Apple desktop computer and stopped my dependence on Adobe products. This April will be the first time travelling again and I needed something more than Snapseed. Something like Lightroom - although I never got to try it on iPad. I am relying on my iPad and iPhone to process any images I will be posting. It appears Photomator will be a good replacement. For extensive editing, I tend to do that on my powerful workstation at home. Plus I have already purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for my iPad, if I need the heavy duty Photoshop / Illustrator style toolset on the road.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I try to understand Lightroom Classic but it’s so non-intuitive after years of Iview Media Pro then Phase One Media Pro until they abandoned it for Capture one extra features which are also opaque to me!

Currently, I am trying again Capture One. Frustrated by non-intuitive copy and paste (by hitting out of reach arrows in top right of screen), as opposed to standard Command C or Command V in the Apple universe!

Capture One does have an excellent Culling feature which I am studying but I am looking for ability to batch edit eyes, eyebrows, lips, lighting, bg etc and for that I am looking for an AI program.

visualsparrow

I’m not sure of the USD price. I believe it is subscription model ($29.99 yearly, $4.99 monthly) or a lifetime purchase fee ($99.99). I paid more in CAD at $149.00. But at least I own the app.

How I looked at it (from what I read as I couldn’t try it) is that Pixelmator is kind of like Photoshop - very full featured —— and Photomator is more like Lightroom and is a modern app dependant on some AI technology. Different workflows. One has an extensive toolset for single image editing, and the other works well for batch editing, quick selections and adjustments. That is my understanding anyway.

Going back to 2008 when we started travelling, I have virtually always used and preferred Lightroom for all of my organizing and editing - even though it didn’t have the feature set of Photoshop. Powerful Photoshop and Affinity Photo have their limited use in my workflow.

A lot has changed since March of 2000 when Anne and I returned home from Central America because of Covid. Being we are always home in our apartment, I have abandoned my laptop in favour of new Apple desktop computer and stopped my dependence on Adobe products. This April will be the first time travelling again and I needed something more than Snapseed. Something like Lightroom - although I never got to try it on iPad. I am relying on my iPad and iPhone to process any images I will be posting. It appears Photomator will be a good replacement. For extensive editing, I tend to do that on my powerful workstation at home. Plus I have already purchased Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for my iPad, if I need the heavy duty Photoshop / Illustrator style toolset on the road.
Thank you for the detailed insights! Your perspective on software options is incredibly helpful and much appreciated.