• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Do you like the mountains?

Paul Abbott

Yes, I do...

This initial photograph is interesting...the contours of the mountain slopes in the foreground belies a scale in itself, until we pick up on the pine trees quietly nestled along it's ridges. But it's the scale between it's own ridges and what is beyond is what is more apparent...and again, due to inclement weather and cloud cover, mountains can be deceiving in showing they're true scale and size.
This photograph to me is all about...scale! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, I do...

This initial photograph is interesting...the contours of the mountain slopes in the foreground belies a scale in itself, until we pick up on the pine trees quietly nestled along it's ridges. But it's the scale between it's own ridges and what is beyond is what is more apparent...and again, due to inclement weather and cloud cover, mountains can be deceiving in showing they're true scale and size.
This photograph to me is all about...scale! :)

You have excellent eyes, Paul. I will look at this on my large screen to appreciate your detection of trees!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, I think I may have confused you in my writing as to where those trees are...I should have said 'contours' instead of 'ridges', in regard to those trees. Sorry...

Michael Nagel

Paul,

Thanks. Hiking in the mountains or even climbing is a direct experience of the seen distances and helps to adjust to the scale of the seen.

I hinted at using the trees for scale previously in this thread as well. It is always good to have a something that serves for comparison to get a glimpse of the actual size.

Best regards,
Michael

Paul Abbott

Paul,

Thanks. Hiking in the mountains or even climbing is a direct experience of the seen distances and helps to adjust to the scale of the seen.

I hinted at using the trees for scale previously in this thread as well. It is always good to have a something that serves for comparison to get a glimpse of the actual size.

Yep, of course...but a camera just isn't up to the job of relating any scale or spatial awareness, obviously it will forever belittle it.