• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fake, fake world....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not having studied Konrad Lorenz's theories in depth, I wonder, couldn't it be freely interpreted as: When fantastic plastic is so abundantly present, it therefore becomes 'the norm' and represents a (lower) standard.

After all, most school kids think that milk is manufactured in a factory, just like Coca/Pepsi Cola ...

Bart
Worse, most Westernized peoples have come to think of bottled water as superior to water from the tap! Likely it's the opposite! However, this is due to ignorance, marketing hype and then fashion. Cheap plastic fakery cannot be blamed for that.

The bottles, however are another matter. They consume raw materials and fuel to move them. Their large needs divert resources. The plastic compounds leach out into the water and contaminate every cell in our flesh!

Bottled water is fine for emergencies, not for day to day living. The colored flavored versions, even spiked like Colas, rot kids' teeth and use up limited finances. Throughout the poorest communities in Africa I saw Colas and Fanta being widely accepted as part of the diet!

Still, cheap fake replica Apes and Bears may not blunt any perceptions of the creatures in the wild. That is an unsupported idea.

Asher

I worry more that the choice of plastics, how and where they are manufactured where they end up and their effect on our ecosystem.

Still, cheap fake replica Apes and Bears may not blunt any perceptions of the creatures in the wild. That is an unsupported idea.

To blunt perception is perhaps a bit bold, a form of desensitization (or lowering of standards) may be closer. Although the geese in Lorenz's experiments might have another opinion, I think humans are a bit 'different' in making distinctions (all the way to using decoys, and I'm not just referring to plastic ducks but also to psychological manipulation).

However, at the same time consider 'Barbie' or Photoshopped models (to stay on topic ;-) ) and Anorexia/Bulimia Nervosa, or the phenomenon called inverse Anorexia (the use of steroids because people think they're not muscular enough). Pop/Movie star roll-models anyone, plastic surgery? Are real people less than the plastic 'norm', and how about more than skin deep (sects like scientology)?

Bart

Last edited:

Dave McAllister

Asher, correct if I'm wrong (and I may be), but you seem to imply that being surrounded by beauty impels people to think more deeply about their surroundings. I think I would tend to disagree with that. In today's information age I think people often think less about where they are and what they are doing than they need to. People have come to expect beauty around them and don't stop to appreciate it. The only "shock value" comes when something that doesn't fit their mold of beauty comes into their life. When things do fit their mold of beauty, those things are seen and then forgotten.

On a side note, and slightly off-topic (maybe), in the article on frogs quoted on page one there is mention that scientists are taking certain frogs to zoos and other places to guarantee the species survival. I often wonder if this is the right thing to do. I can see taking some samples to make sure we have specimen to study down the road, but when endangered animals are released back into natural wildlife settings to re-establish a foothold in the ecosystem, I wonder if that isn't changing the equation in a profound way. They're going extinct for a reason. While that reason may or may not be us, I wonder if it's wrong to try to fight the natural order of things. That seems to be the human condition, or predicament, as far as I can tell. What to do?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, correct if I'm wrong (and I may be), but you seem to imply that being surrounded by beauty impels people to think more deeply about their surroundings. I think I would tend to disagree with that. In today's information age I think people often think less about where they are and what they are doing than they need to. People have come to expect beauty around them and don't stop to appreciate it. The only "shock value" comes when something that doesn't fit their mold of beauty comes into their life. When things do fit their mold of beauty, those things are seen and then forgotten.
Hi Dave,

Physiology trumps boredom. We still react to the beauty of a child's face, the handsome patina in a farmer's face or the rose opened in full bloom.

On a side note, and slightly off-topic (maybe), in the article on frogs quoted on page one there is mention that scientists are taking certain frogs to zoos and other places to guarantee the species survival. I often wonder if this is the right thing to do. I can see taking some samples to make sure we have specimen to study down the road, but when endangered animals are released back into natural wildlife settings to re-establish a foothold in the ecosystem, I wonder if that isn't changing the equation in a profound way. They're going extinct for a reason. While that reason may or may not be us, I wonder if it's wrong to try to fight the natural order of things. That seems to be the human condition, or predicament, as far as I can tell. What to do?

Dave,

We are facing massive species loss partly because of things we do. In the case of amphibians, there's a fungus infecting the creatures world wide that is making things worse. There's loss of habitat as humans wipe out their territories and clear the forrest floors on vegetation and debris which protects them. There is no book of instruction that came with us taking control over the planet's near term destiny. We can either allow things to happen and lose most of the frogs, toads, newts, salamanders and such or try to conserve as many as possible.

"The natural order of things" is not any moral nor other persuasive argument. We already have gone beyond that and that history cannot be retraced. Life is declining and is a measure of the risks we ourselves face.

Asher