• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Male lion on the prowl

Bryanpereira

A young male wondering around looking for breakfast
D850 200-400 f4
330mm f4 1/2500 iso 400

male lion prowl_DSC0710.JPG

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A young male wondering around looking for breakfast
D850 200-400 f4
330mm f4 1/2500 iso 400

View attachment 11482
Magnificent.

West amazes me is how low lions can crouch in the grass when hunting.

I was I. Kruger National Psrk and saw a lioness waiting h by a waterhole like that and all I had was a Kodak Retinette 1B film camera with I believe a 50 mm lens or thereabouts!

Thrn I realized the problems of the shaded area under a tree where the lion was and the bright sunlit area of the wilder east by the water! Great dynamic range challenge and no telephoto zoom!

Asher

Bryanpereira

Brian,

How unusual is it to see such a sight! Is it 98% chance of something like that or once in 24 of your tours over the years?
Its not unusual at all, typically I see lions every day. Probably on a 6 day safari if your around at the right time of the day there is a chance you will see lions hunting at least a couple of times

Bryanpereira

Magnificent.

West amazes me is how low lions can crouch in the grass when hunting.

I was I. Kruger National Psrk and saw a lioness waiting h by a waterhole like that and all I had was a Kodak Retinette 1B film camera with I believe a 50 mm lens or thereabouts!

Thrn I realized the problems of the shaded area under a tree where the lion was and the bright sunlit area of the wilder east by the water! Great dynamic range challenge and no telephoto zoom!

Asher
The only ongoing technical issue I have is that camera manufactures even with the newest mirrorless bodies dont have a good enough tracking system to cope with animals like this going through tall grass, especially if its the same color. They still build the processor to focus mostly on contrast detection so birds in the sky, or single well defined subjects. And if there are multiple lions in the grass forget about using any sort of tracking mode.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Greetings and welcome Brian, may I post my full mane lion picture in your thread?

Really outstanding big kitty photos here and your other posts!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Magnificent!

Is that shot through a wire fence and the wire is just out of the ficus plsbecsbsolutely?

Because a 200 mm lens might be fine for a zoo animal but not so likely to be able to capture with this on safari!

Asher