• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moorpark Fire - again :-(

Early morning this Sunday hills in the nearby city of Moorpark caught fire. The gusts of Santa Ana winds quickly helped it spread around.

By the time I managed to get there most of the fires were out down, but I still caught a glimpse of it (with my new 100-400:)

You won't see smoking railroad every day:

114601507-L.jpg

Nor will you see firefighters working up close and personal on a regular basis:

114601476-L.jpg

A few more shots are here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/2202507

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Very nice work, Nik. I was at a friends house this evening - right near the top of the hill near Erbes/La Granada the scene of the fire was amazing. Winds about 70. No camera with me to shoot with and it was 10 pm so it would have been a challenge to shoot. .

Kathy,

Kathy Rappaport said:
Very nice work, Nik. I was at a friends house this evening - right near the top of the hill near Erbes/La Granada the scene of the fire was amazing. Winds about 70. No camera with me to shoot with and it was 10 pm so it would have been a challenge to shoot. .

Yeah... I wonder which one was the bigger obstacle: no camera or 10 pm :)
Excuses, excuses :))

I'd say - lack of a good tripod:)
Have you had one with you, you'd be able to get something like this (taken earlier this year, but way after sunset):

95803214-L.jpg

Cheers, good to hear from you!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nik,

God seems to organize everything near you: The Bond girl, fires that destroy a quarter of the planet, re-anactment of the Civil War itself, Airsahows of the wildest prop planes and a Mig 21!

We don't get this in Los Angeles!

Also why is it, when a 50 1.2 is delivered in S. California, it lands 2 doors away from you!

Anyway, thanks for sharing.The first shot is very worthy of commendation. I think it is , for me, at leat, a great picture and worthy of being printed and shown.

I like images that have a clean design and mataphorical interpestations. The railway tracks disappearing in smoke is powerful and frightening too.

The Fireman with the hose is documentary.

The last pictures is like a message of warning from above of how insignificant man is that a whole landscape can be consumed by this primal force.

You always make me proud and somewhat jealous, but in a generous way.

Asher

Asher,

Asher Kelman said:
Nik,

God seems to organize everything near you: The Bond girl, fires that destroy a quarter of the planet, re-anactment of the Civil War itself, Airsahows of the wildest prop planes and a Mig 21!

We don't get this in Los Angeles!

Well, man's gotta work with what he has... We don't get Getty center, Rodeo drive, or Downtown LA all within 5 minutes drive, so we gotta use local resources..:)

Asher Kelman said:
Also why is it, when a 50 1.2 is delivered in S. California, it lands 2 doors away from you!

Prolly because Santa knew that Kathy woull put it to a much better usage tha I would:)

Asher Kelman said:
Anyway, thanks for sharing.The first shot is very worthy of commendation. I think it is , for me, at leat, a great picture and worthy of being printed and shown.

I like images that have a clean design and mataphorical interpestations. The railway tracks disappearing in smoke is powerful and frightening too.

Thanks! While non of these are Getty quality, I honestly think the railroad shot is the best of the series...

Asher Kelman said:
The Fireman with the hose is documentary.
It is, guilty as charged :)

Asher Kelman said:
The last pictures is like a message of warning from above of how insignificant man is that a whole landscape can be consumed by this primal force.

It sure was scary...:)

Asher Kelman said:
You always make me proud and somewhat jealous, but in a generous way.

Asher

Thank you very much!

Cheers!

Hi Nikolai,

The shot of the tracks is interesting. It reminds me of drifting snow. Albeit, the smoke was likely toxic (creosote is nasty).

enjoy,

Sean

Sean,

Sean DeMerchant said:
Hi Nikolai,

The shot of the tracks is interesting. It reminds me of drifting snow. Albeit, the smoke was likely toxic (creosote is nasty).

enjoy,

Sean

Thank you for reminding me of the snow... I was thinking I've seen something similar, but here in SoCal the concept of snow is virtually inexisting (that is unless you go skiing, in which case it's a different snow:)

You're also correct about the toxicity.. I only been there for less than an hour last night, yet I still can't breath normally as of now (day later) :-( Nasal passages are swollenaand blocked, the forehead feels numb, uncontrolled cough... Man, I wonder how the firefighters manage to handle this environment...

Cheers!