• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portraits of a friend

Klaus Esser

pro member
Made with Wista 4x5" on Polaroid, shutter open, handheld Nikon-strobe with colorfilters on it which were changed after a number of flashes.

Correction: the first one is 4x5" the 2nd is 8x10"

WolleBank.jpg

Wolle1.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting, Kaus.

What does your friend do? Is the pattern indicative or related to him?

In the second picture the vertical complex on the right of the horizontal picture balances him and puts him in an important setting as if it was something like a Roman guard with a banner or some important apparatus which shows his serious work to be respected. The multiple hand shadow pattern creates a sense of complexity from which he operates to provide answers and clarity from out of this disorder.

So that's my first question, how is the composition related if at all to the nature of your friend.

Next I wonder how exactly you triggered the Nikon flash since I’m not familiar with it. Can it be triggered by simple closure of a contact?

Also how do you get the shadows?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Interesting, Kaus.

What does your friend do? Is the pattern indicative or related to him?

In the second picture the vertical complex on the right of the horizontal picture balances him and puts him in an important setting as if it was something like a Roman guard with a banner or some important apparatus which shows his serious work to be respected. The multiple hand shadow pattern creates a sense of complexity from which he operates to provide answers and clarity from out of this disorder.

So that's my first question, how is the composition related if at all to the nature of your friend.

Next I wonder how exactly you triggered the Nikon flash since I’m not familiar with it. Can it be triggered by simple closure of a contact?

Also how do you get the shadows?

Asher

Hi Asher!

He´s a painter. He´s very successful - exhibitions in Osaka, Singapore and so on.
His nature is a mixture of rock-steadiness (he´s about 1,90m) and great sensitivity.

Due to the very long exposure he could not move a bit for about 2 minutes while i was running around and firing the flash :) .

It was released manually by pressing a button on it´s back side and i put it on automatic so the light´s intensity was relatively even.

The shadows come a) from the spaces which weren´t hit by the flash - for that reason i was very close to walls and objects not to spread too much light - and b) from the multiple flashes of changing directions and angles.

It´s like the lightbrush-thing: you never know what happens :) - it´s all an adventure. With training you can suggest what MAY come out - but it´s never exactly controllable.
And that´s amazing :)

I have another picture - stillife - which i shot this way. I´ll show it in the evening.

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like what you are doing. I still don't understand how you get a shadow of your own hand and the flash when you are holding it, unless you have two flashes going off?

Asher