• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Maine Republican presidential caucuses

Doug Kerr

In the state of Maine, the presidential primary process consists of municipal caucuses, which, despite the name, are by precinct. For the Republican party, these are held, at the discretion of the individual precinct, between January 29, 2012 and March 3, 2012. At these caucuses, delegates are selected to the Republican Party District Caucuses and State Convention.

In addition, there is a "straw poll" taken of the preferences of the participants among the contenders for the Republican candidate for president. The result of this has no official effect on the ultimate selection of the Maine delegates to the Republican National Convention.

The state Republican Party has urged that all municipal caucuses be held between February 4, 2012 and February 11, 2012. However, the range of actual dates is January 29, 2012 through March 3, 2012.

Nevertheless, the state Republican Party has decided to announce the results of the municipal/precinct straw polls only over those taken at caucuses held through February 11, 2012. The results of straw polls at caucuses held February 12, 2012 through March 3, 2012 will not be officially announced by the state party.

As you know, I write about many topics. Only this topic causes me concern that I may go blind from writing.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

The Maine Republican Party has announced the official results of the "straw polls" conducted at municipal (precinct) caucuses held between January 29, 2012 and February 11, 2012.

83.7% of the precincts held their caucuses in time to be included in the official results.

The results (in terms of votes received and then percent of the overall votes cast in the polls included in the result) are:

Romney.....2190.....39.6%
Paul.....1996.....36.1%
Santorum.....989.....17.9%
Gingrich.....349.....6.3%

A total of 5,524 "qualified" votes were said to have been cast (although I can't get the numbers to jibe). (The population of the state of Maine is approximately 1.3 million.)

Supposedly these results will not be updated to include the effect of straw polls held at caucuses held from February 12, 2012 through March 3, 2012 (15 precincts overall).

The results of these straw polls have no official effect on the selection or instruction of Maine's delegates to the Republican National Convention, where the Republican Party's candidate for President of the United States will be selected.

Those delegates will not be formally committed to vote for any contender at the Convention.

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

The Maine Republican Party has announced the official results of the "straw polls" conducted at municipal (precinct) caucuses held between January 29, 2012 and February 11, 2012.

83.7% of the precincts held their caucuses in time to be included in the official results.

The results (in terms of votes received and then percent of the overall votes cast in the polls included in the result) are:

Romney.....2190.....39.2%
Paul.....1996.....35.7%
Santorum.....989.....17.7%

A total of 4596 votes are recognized. (The population of the state of Maine is approximately 1.3 million.)

Supposedly these results will not be updated to include the effect of straw polls held at caucuses held from February 12, 2012 through March 3, 2012 (15 precincts overall).

The results of these straw polls have no official effect on the selection or instruction of Maine's delegates to the Republican National Convention, where the Republican Party's candidate for President of the United States will be selected.

Those delegates will not be formally committed to vote for any contender at the Convention.

Best regards,

Doug
I hope that they do not pretend that this is a truly 'democratic' process (pun intended).

..As you know, I write about many topics. Only this topic causes me concern that I may go blind from writing....
The whole process reeks of cloak and dagger, which might indeed blind people.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Yes indeed, I was aware of that. Now what's for breakfast today? :)
This being Sunday, it will probably be grapefruit, apple, and orange, followed by scrambled eggs, bacon, and hashed brown potatoes.

Breakfast may be a bit earlier today than usual, since we will have an early visitor: a woman who has expressed an interest in buying our custom built fully-automated quilting system (a 10-foot long machine which is no longer in use and for which there is no space in our new home in Alamogordo).

It was a very large project, of which we are very proud. It is described here:

http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Quilting_Machine.pdf

Best regards,

Doug