• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Triptychs

Ruben Alfu

From a series of photos taken at the beach during the low tide. Originally I visualized each shot as a single composition, I wanted to discover the artistic creations left by mother nature on the beach. Later in the computer, observing the photos one along the other, I noticed how together they developed the story in much more interesting ways. What do you think?

20120220-_MG_9094.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Untitled 1

20120220-_MG_9094b.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Untitled 2

Regards,

Ruben

I have a fondness for water close up images, so I like these very much, Ruben. There are similar, subtle, elements in the two sets.

Untitled 1 triptych appears to involve the effects of the flow of water and sand. Discovering these scenes had to involve a significant amount of attention and thought.

Same degree of attention and thought were no doubt required for Untitled 2 triptych, but it is less clear to my eye what comprises this one; water and silt, possibly? The water patterns are a joy.

Thank you for sharing these.

Ruben Alfu

I have a fondness for water close up images, so I like these very much, Ruben. There are similar, subtle, elements in the two sets.

Untitled 1 triptych appears to involve the effects of the flow of water and sand. Discovering these scenes had to involve a significant amount of attention and thought.

Same degree of attention and thought were no doubt required for Untitled 2 triptych, but it is less clear to my eye what comprises this one; water and silt, possibly? The water patterns are a joy.

Thank you for sharing these.

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your comments, knowing what you see, what you like (or not) about this is of great value for me. Your signature says something about your affinity with water :). As you mentioned, it was important to focus in what kind of elements and compositions I was looking for in order to select one rock, one particular spot out of thousands, and then try to maintain consistent aesthetics.

Untitled 2 is a little stream of water that comes from a small river into the sea, carrying eroded sand with it.

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben,

I like the ideas in the sets.

For the first set, picture 2 and 3 for my taste are stronger seen individually. I don't get a feeling of unity of the 3 together, as the first picture is sifter and less defined.

For the second second set, I wonder though if you considered switching the order: the first being at the right, (as it goes down left to right), and so creates tension where it is now.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Ruben.

Very interesting sets.

In the first set I would put#3 as #1. As the water recedes more is discovered.

The second set makes me think of space and orbit around a planet!

Excellent brain exercises!

Regards.

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

I like the ideas in the sets.

For the first set, picture 2 and 3 for my taste are stronger seen individually. I don't get a feeling of unity of the 3 together, as the first picture is sifter and less defined.

For the second second set, I wonder though if you considered switching the order: the first being at the right, (as it goes down left to right), and so creates tension where it is now.

Asher

Thanks for your input Asher, as usual, very interesting points of views. In the second set, I experimented placing the first photo where you suggest, it seems more natural if we follow the distortion of the water border, however, that arrangement also takes the attention directly to the end of the composition and then out of the frame. In the first position, I see that photo as an entrance.

Regards,

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben.

Very interesting sets.

In the first set I would put#3 as #1. As the water recedes more is discovered.

The second set makes me think of space and orbit around a planet!

Excellent brain exercises!

Regards.

Hi Fahim, thanks for sharing your opinions. It's a pleasure to know that this photos motivated your imagination! Here's another for the series, perhaps kind of cosmic too :)

20120220-_MG_9088.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Untitled 3​

Regards,

Ruben

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm never sure whether tryptics are cliche or hip so, just in case, I add one to my repository now and again. You never know when a client will want to decorate the wall above the bed in the holiday unit up the north coast, which seems to be the place to hang them these days. Oh, yes, and they must match the decore; usually in shades of blue and yellow with a plain white frame.
I have no idea if there is some psychological explanation for this but I do find putting some space between each shot helps. I'm not quite sure how or why and it could be just my little idiosychracy but the space seems to give me time to collect my thoughts about each image before standing back and viewing the whole. I also like the idea that, in some way, there is a puzzle to be solved; a part missing from each that lets the brain fill in what it doesn't see. After all, we don't want it just to look good, do we? Got to keep the viewers on their toes.

Untitled-1 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20120220-_MG_9088.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Untitled 3​

Reuben,

This is a pleasure to experience. I find it has the balance of fitting together and tension between them. Highly successful triptych!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Reuben,

This is a pleasure to experience. I find it has the balance of fitting together and tension between them. Highly successful triptych!

Asher

Thanks for your kind words Asher. These are the first triptychs that I've ever done, and the photos were not even intended for this. Anyway, the exercise has been interesting enough to keep experimenting!

Regards,

Ruben