• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A true colour future.

Sigma started the revolution with its much praised Foveon sensor… It is a common "secret" that all other sensor makers work on getting rid of the Bayer pattern, Canon & Sony are rumoured to work on an organic sensor, Nikon filed a latest (and most probable to be the final choice) patent for their version.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2007/20070810_1-NikonsTrueColorSensorPatent.html

It looks like in the near future, there will be no moire, no interpolation, processing of files will be much more easy and dynamic range will improve further. Another possible outcome though, should be that there will be true B&W sensors in the market much more attractively priced than the colour ones…

There should be some negative results too though… First of all, there should be a considerable undervalue of todays investments, especially of MFDBs…. then, (as happens with foveon) noise presence should be more evident at lower Iso values and shall improve back with time… prices should rise (again) too.

Yet, I believe that photography (and cinema even more so) as an art will regain its (now lost) creativity… It's funny that although there is so much more shooting happening during the past 15 years with the digital revolution, creativity didn't benefit at all from the past… Only cameras and boring pictures multiplied. Has interpolation and the lack of true "b&w" photography anything to do with it? …I think so.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sigma started the revolution with its much praised Foveon sensor… It is a common "secret" that all other sensor makers work on getting rid of the Bayer pattern, Canon & Sony are rumoured to work on an organic sensor, Nikon filed a latest (and most probable to be the final choice) patent for their version.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2007/20070810_1-NikonsTrueColorSensorPatent.html

It looks like in the near future, there will be no moire, no interpolation, processing of files will be much more easy and dynamic range will improve further. Another possible outcome though, should be that there will be true B&W sensors in the market much more attractively priced than the colour ones…

There should be some negative results too though… First of all, there should be a considerable undervalue of todays investments, especially of MFDBs…. then, (as happens with foveon) noise presence should be more evident at lower Iso values and shall improve back with time… prices should rise (again) too.

Yet, I believe that photography (and cinema even more so) as an art will regain its (now lost) creativity… It's funny that although there is so much more shooting happening during the past 15 years with the digital revolution, creativity didn't benefit at all from the past… Only cameras and boring pictures multiplied. Has interpolation and the lack of true "b&w" photography anything to do with it? …I think so.

Theodoros,

Canon has available at least two layered CMOS designs. One is based around development from a, (major camera MFR-supported), spinoff company, from Stanford University. The CMOS sensor works in such a way that each sensel is a separately controlled camera. So "ISO" no longer applies to the sensor as whole, but each micro-camera can be programmed to respond according to some selected option: for example highlights or shadow.

So what form the next generation of sensors will take is up to the big companies to decide how to compete in the sectors they earn money. Or else, there might be a new upstart, like a Tesla company for cars, that will revolutionize everything!

Asher

If past history has taught us one thing among Japanese makers Asher, it is that whenever one makes his move (out of the major players that have enough market base as to threaten the competition), all others react on that same move within reasonable time… If Canon will bring a variable sensitivity sensor, my opinion is that all others will too… If OTOH, another or Canon will use a true colour sensor, I am sure that all others have the answer ready in their draws… Besides, there is no reason why they wouldn't apply both innovations at the same time! A couple of things are for sure…
1. If sensors stay the way they are, people won't be so keen as to update their cameras for next generation ones as they where up to date, reason being that the improvements can't be of the magnitude that they where up to now.
2. Colour interpolation is not in line with todays technology… and it's limiting creativity.

Asher Kelman

If past history has taught us one thing among Japanese makers Asher, it is that whenever one makes his move (out of the major players that have enough market base as to threaten the competition), all others react on that same move within reasonable time… If Canon will bring a variable sensitivity sensor, my opinion is that all others will too… If OTOH, another or Canon will use a true colour sensor, I am sure that all others have the answer ready in their draws… Besides, there is no reason why they wouldn't apply both innovations at the same time! A couple of things are for sure…
1. If sensors stay the way they are, people won't be so keen as to update their cameras for next generation ones as they where up to date, reason being that the improvements can't be of the magnitude that they where up to now.
2. Colour interpolation is not in line with todays technology… and it's limiting creativity.

You have some good points. However, we may be surprised and see both Nikon and Canon going for the MF market for more profit from pros and enthusiasts. Right now, they have pretty good AF. Being able to expose according to chosen subjects painted on the LCD with smart recognition would be the next thing they can do without too much difficulty.

Cameras should be smart enough to detect mountains, sky, shadows, trees and people all separately and allow us to expose them all well. There's only laziness for the companies not to be at least taking one very fast pre shot to get the over exposed brights captures at a speed that tames them.

Smart zones of exposure I think are the next move before new sensors as this is mostly just using existing technology.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes, there's room for improvement in professional cameras. But for the majority of photographers, any camera made in the last 5 years can do! Yes, to get the best colors one needs multishot, perhaps or a new sensor. But that's rare.

The truth is all the cameras are too good for most needs! Cell phones actually do most of the social shooting leaving cameras as heavy and clumsy dinosaurs, LOL! Almost all camera users would do just as well if not better with a cell phone. The worst part of the equation is the photographer, LOL!

That doesn't us having endless fun thinking about the new gadgets that will be offered to tempt us to give up our hard-earned cash!

Asher

You have some good points. However, we may be surprised and see both Nikon and Canon going for the MF market for more profit from pros and enthusiasts.

Asher

I doubt it… Are you sure it won't be the other way around? …i.e. P1 or Hassy entering the FF market (to start with)? …I think Hassy is already looking at …"the stars"! …LOL