• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

At last my 4x5 SLR?

Klaus Esser

pro member
Any thoughts about a 4x5 SLR? Your input would be most welcome..........

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/4x5_SLR/4x5_slr.html

Great stuff, Dean!
There were some SLR in 4x5" or even 5x7" on the market in the last 80 years.
All very clumsy . .
Doesn´t a simple mirror attached to the filmholder almost do the same job? A 4x5" you wouldn´t typically use to shoot action pictures anyway, do you? ;-)
What about shift/tilt?

btw.: a GREAT site!!

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations Dean!

Razzle_4x5_SLR_side.jpg

This is a wonderful project and we want to keep abreast of every step on the way. I hope you will make this thread into a running blog on your efforts to tame this beast!

Any chance you will get some movements?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Peter Gowland glamor photographer and camera builder, built a neat fixed lens reflex camera.

PG00000556c.jpg

Peter Garland said:
In using the Gowland SLR, the image passes through the lens to a small mirror shutter, is reflected up to larger mirror and back to ground glass, when the shutter is released, the small mirror moves right, allowing image to pass through the three shutter parts back to film. During this 1/50th part of a second, flash contact is made, center shutter part moves to the right, closing the opening. When both top shutter parts are moved to left for re-cocking, light cannot pass through lower opening.

With this unique design, it is necessary to keep the lens and small mirror close together. Rather than moving the lens for focusing, the ground glass and film are moved as one.

The camera is built around a 240-250mm lens. Film movement of 4 inches permits close focus of three feet to infinity. For special close work a shorter lens might be used. For example, 210mm can be used from two feet to eight-and-a-half feet. Longer lenses, providing they are telephoto, can also be used. 360mm Tele-Xenar gives large head portraits with focus range of five and-a-half feet to twenty-four feet. When top shutter parts are moved back, with knob on left side, shutter is ready for the next shot.
Read more about ithere .

From Canada we have had the inventiveness of Ed Warner in a camera club who built wooden reflex 4x5 cameras!

"A very small number of our members delight in making their own cameras. Ed Warner is one of this select group. The first camera he showed was a 4x5 SLR made from fine mahogany cut and hand planed by Ed to the desired thickness. The mirror is flipped up with a lever. Ed used a small magnet inside the camera to hold the mirror up for the exposure.

He modified a film holder to make a ground glass used to accurately position the adjustable back for exact focus. To aid in focussing, Ed mounted a simple lens and rubber shade in a small wooden block which fits onto the viewing hood.

The most expensive part of the camera is the lens with its built-in shutter. Other mechanical components came from Ed's junk box - the remains of various cameras and other instruments beyond repair."

homebrew_3.jpg

Then there's the 4x5 Graflex SLR.

graflex-open.jpg

It's a 4x5 single lens reflex with a focal plane shutter with shutter speeds up to 1/1,000 of a second. I plan to use it as a studio portrait camera although a lot of very famous pictures were taken with one of these hand held by people like Margaret Bourke-White and Dorothea Lange. Source is a electicedge.com here

Asher Kelman

Of course for $3800 you could have bought a Wisner handbuilt 4x5 SLR

45Rnew72.jpg

* Between-the-lens Copal shutter with flash sync.

* Interchangeable multicoated high-resolution Tessar-type and telephoto lenses from 150mm to 400mm.

* More compact and lighter than the original.

* Rotating Back

* Rack and pinion bellows focusing

* Varnished natural cherry body with brass hardware, genuine burgundy kid leather viewing hood and focusing bellows, leather handle.

* $3850, with choice of 150mm, 180mm or 210mm lens included.

Well, cry your eyes out, you will have to put back the money in your pocket! The camera is no longer available. You can however buy 3-5 Graflex 4x5 SLRs for the same price!

Now for a modern camera, lets see what Dean has to offer. I, for one, am very interested in this work.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Dean,

I like the way the camera looks. Actually, 7lb is not all that bad as the weight will damp anf vibration. How much wieght could you get off it and when will you have one ready to let out?

How short a lens can it take? I'm wondering because the mirror box has to be limiting. 210 mm with that extension might just get it into focus but perhaps not at infinity? What about a 90mm? I guess it's impossible!

Can the back rotate?

Any chance of front movements?

The camera seems pretty handsome!!

I guess it will be mostly for portrait?

Thanks for sharing and keep working!

Asher

Dean Jones

It actually has interchangeable twenty four inch bellows too..... I'm just working on how to keep them under control. No rotating back as the body is not square. I'm hoping it will do more than portrait, currently it is set up to focus at 8-12 feet with the 210 and much the same with a 180 Xenar...what I really need to incorporate the bellows is a 240mm.

Let's also consider the mirror aspect...this camera uses a mirror that's coated on the upside, same as all SLR's. These things are mighty expensive, so what compensation do I make when using a cheaper mirror that is coated on the underside like the one on your bathroom wall?
Say it's 2mm thick, does that mean I must space the film plane 2mm farther back than normal, or if it's on a 45 degree angle is that 1mm?

If I decide to make another camera of this type, obviously my prime consideration would be keeping the price to a minimum and the mirror is probably the most expensive part.
Has anyone gone down this road before? I have posted this same question on the Large Format Photography forum, but I figure Asher would love a scenario like this to think about!

Cheers, Dean.

P.S Asher you are a world of knowledge.........!

Last edited:

Carsten Wolff

Dean,
Looks suspicioulsy/audaciously like an old Arca-Swiss 4x5 SLR body.....which is of course rare as hen's teeth.
Now, if you sprayed it pink I might be interested :)

I've checked out your 6x17 "Obsession"; luv it!
I myself made a 6x17/5x7 (75mm lens) underwater housing that uses Hinge and Scheimpflug principles, well, sort of....using an external scale that indicates filmplane tilt, but it is essentially a P&S.
So, perhaps I'll visit you one day in Adelaide if I may....It'd be an interesting exercise going the 6x17/5x7 UW-SLR route, if it were feasible.....
However, I think it would be, although technically not all that challenging, too complex, budget wise.
.....Any commercial billboard UW photographers out there?

Carsten

Asher Kelman

Carsten,

Do you have links to your camera building work?

Nicolas Claris, for one, prints very large megaprints pictures for boat shows that occupy whole walls.
I'm interested in such a camera as long as it has rise and shift and if possible tilt too.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Carsten,

Can you give us an update? You should get a free online account to link your pictures for you here!

Asher

Carsten Wolff

Asher and others,
I've put two pics I had from the workshop in an album on here:

http://carstenwolff.spaces.live.com/

Since then I've added the shutter release, a finder (ex-Nikonos 15mm finder with a panorama mask) and tripod socket and paint-job. Things still to sort out are tilt-scale calibration and the shutter speed dial, which is hard to operate underwater. For this reason I might have to re-design the port assembly.

Will write a little post once I've finished all the calibrations and the has had a field run.......

thanks for your interest,

Carsten

PS: Sorry, Dean for seemingly highjacking your thread a bit. I'll start a separate thread on further developments. In the meantime, interested parties may pm me off-thread for updates.

Last edited: