• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

self portrait- another attempt.

Just wondering how this works?
IMG_0247.jpg

Thank You for looking

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Cody,
Self-portraits are difficult as they force you to ask yourself what you want to capture of your persona. Such images rarely reflect your intentions or how others actually see you.

Let me be frank to give you somethings to consider for your next effort. My impression of this image is that it looks like a snap I'd see in a rural local newspaper, perhaps sporting a caption like, "Local man saves famous old tree.". You have a rather angry, defiant expression (squinting in anticipation of the flash) and your dirty jeans, dirty cap, and beard give you a very -rustic- appearance. Further, you've used the tree to divide the image into three frames, one empty, one with your upper body and head, and one with your abdomen and legs. Your beard line / texture, and t-shirt neckline also reflect the line / texture of the tree crotch. You're also leaning forward, which has the effect of distorting your body proportions, particularly since you've drawn such a strong belt line with that dark t-shirt.

I could go on, but I think you see where I'm headed. As a portrait this appears to be a train wreck. But perhaps this is truly the way you see yourself and, more to the point, the image you want to display to the world. My suggestion is to ask a friend (or two, or three) to take a "portrait" of you. They don't have to be experts with a camera, but should have some photo skills an sensitivity. Most important, they must be people who are well acquainted with you. Let them place and pose you however they see best. Make a fun afternoon of it! Then compare their views of you with yours. It might be enlightening.

Rachel Foster

Ken's critique helped me identify what I like about this portrait. It's not another vanity snap, as in "I don't care what it is, just make me look pretty."

Ken Tanaka

pro member
No, it's unlikely that many would consider this a "vanity snap" although that's really a matter of perspective.

But photographic portraiture is about far more than vanity. The best portraits tell their viewers something about the subject. Irving Penn, who died just last week, was one of photography's all-time great portraitists. For a quick glimpse into greatness watch Virginia Heckert's audio slide show of Penn's "Small Trades" collection (and Getty exhibit) on the NYT site. These are occupational portraits of people working "small trades" (ex: shoemakers, firemen, chamois makers, etc.).

There are many other outstanding photographic portraitists for someone genuinely interested in fine portraiture (versus pictures-of) to study, and many variations on this undertaking far, far deeper and more meaningful than vanity snaps. Remember, the sitter should not be considered the audience of a portrait, regardless of who pays the bill.

Rachel Foster

Yes, I agree with that, Ken. Having done portraits of adults for a few years now, I'm getting very frustrated with the demand for vanity snaps. But I don't want to derail Cody's thread so I'm going to start a new topic on that.

Here is a crop that I did.

Hi Cody,

You can crop it even further at the bottom, jus leaving the branches as an 'L' type of structure. Unfortunately there are other improvements possible, but they require a reshoot. An important element is how the hands are placed in the image. Try to avoid dismembered fingers or fists. The hands should either be in clear vision, relaxed, or they should be holding/supporting something.

Portraits are tough, self portraits even more so.

Cheers,
Bart

Cody,
Self-portraits are difficult as they force you to ask yourself what you want to capture of your persona. Such images rarely reflect your intentions or how others actually see you.

Let me be frank to give you somethings to consider for your next effort. My impression of this image is that it looks like a snap I'd see in a rural local newspaper, perhaps sporting a caption like, "Local man saves famous old tree.". You have a rather angry, defiant expression (squinting in anticipation of the flash) and your dirty jeans, dirty cap, and beard give you a very -rustic- appearance. Further, you've used the tree to divide the image into three frames, one empty, one with your upper body and head, and one with your abdomen and legs. Your beard line / texture, and t-shirt neckline also reflect the line / texture of the tree crotch. You're also leaning forward, which has the effect of distorting your body proportions, particularly since you've drawn such a strong belt line with that dark t-shirt.

I could go on, but I think you see where I'm headed. As a portrait this appears to be a train wreck. But perhaps this is truly the way you see yourself and, more to the point, the image you want to display to the world. My suggestion is to ask a friend (or two, or three) to take a "portrait" of you. They don't have to be experts with a camera, but should have some photo skills an sensitivity. Most important, they must be people who are well acquainted with you. Let them place and pose you however they see best. Make a fun afternoon of it! Then compare their views of you with yours. It might be enlightening.

I may have a angry, defiant look, but that is who I am. My attitude also reflects on my look. There was an old saying never judge a book by it's cover, well that hold very true to me. I may wander this life without friends, but under all that angry, defiant look there holds a person with true kindness, honesty, and compassion.
the squinting is from having very light sensitive eyes, I done a little research on Hazel eyes to find that out. Most any light over 60 watts causes me to squint and sometimes I will get an extremely bad headache from it.
Also from my point of view the dirty ball cap shows me that I work outside in the weather where I'm not afraid to get dirty. and them dirty jeans, are the results of time and stains and also reflect on what I do.
A person makes life what it is. If people want to perceive me as a dirty, angry, defiant person So be it.
There are a very few times that I will dress myself up for, like Christmas dinners, Thanksgiving dinners, Banquets, Weddings, And Funerals, and Photo shoots, as far as everything else in life, to me really doesn't matter.

Yes, I agree with that, Ken. Having done portraits of adults for a few years now, I'm getting very frustrated with the demand for vanity snaps. But I don't want to derail Cody's thread so I'm going to start a new topic on that.

I have no problems with any of my threads that get side tracked or derailed.

Hi Cody,

You can crop it even further at the bottom, jus leaving the branches as an 'L' type of structure. Unfortunately there are other improvements possible, but they require a reshoot. An important element is how the hands are placed in the image. Try to avoid dismembered fingers or fists. The hands should either be in clear vision, relaxed, or they should be holding/supporting something.

Portraits are tough, self portraits even more so.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

Thank you for the tips.
If you were to look closely at my one hand I was holding my wireless remote.

Hi Cody,

I think your self-portrait is very interesting but your face needs a good ol' B&W !
With your permission, i made a quick attempt with a little crop too :

8b5834010b728897d09e63d4e5570af.jpg

What do you think about that ?

Regards,

Cedric.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I may have a angry, defiant look, but that is who I am. My attitude also reflects on my look. There was an old saying never judge a book by it's cover, well that hold very true to me. I may wander this life without friends, but under all that angry, defiant look there holds a person with true kindness, honesty, and compassion.
the squinting is from having very light sensitive eyes, I done a little research on Hazel eyes to find that out. Most any light over 60 watts causes me to squint and sometimes I will get an extremely bad headache from it.
Also from my point of view the dirty ball cap shows me that I work outside in the weather where I'm not afraid to get dirty. and them dirty jeans, are the results of time and stains and also reflect on what I do.
A person makes life what it is. If people want to perceive me as a dirty, angry, defiant person So be it.
There are a very few times that I will dress myself up for, like Christmas dinners, Thanksgiving dinners, Banquets, Weddings, And Funerals, and Photo shoots, as far as everything else in life, to me really doesn't matter.

Cody, Cody, Cody... you asked for a critique of your photograph. That's what I gave you...a critique of your photograph, not of you.

But since you interpreted this personally, take a walk and then re-read what you wrote. Then put that into a "self-portrait"!

Once again, I'm sorry I took the time. That's all for me, brother.

Cody, Cody, Cody... you asked for a critique of your photograph. That's what I gave you...a critique of your photograph, not of you.

But since you interpreted this personally, take a walk and then re-read what you wrote. Then put that into a "self-portrait"!

Once again, I'm sorry I took the time. That's all for me, brother.

Ken,

Thank you for leaving me your critique, I am the one who apologize to you.
I didn't take it personal, just give you some info on me.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Gotcha, Cody. No trouble here. Do take a look at the Irving Penn link and/or some of his work. (Search in Google to see some samples.) I also recommend looking at Yousuf Karsh's work...and even greater, and a dedicated, master portraitist. See how he brings the subject's persona into the frame. Example: Muhammad Ali.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ken,

I for one appreciate having you here and saying your mind. We get great references, an honest opinion and you're gracious too when needed!

Cody,

We attempt to walk in the path of greats. Check comments made in OPF previously on this subject. It might best be considered to have consideration of the following:

• A relationship between the photographer and the subject
  • Representation of something special about the subject
  • Perhaps also indicating a whole class of such people and their stories
  • Unique
  • final delivery form, (color, B&W, lighting and other components) work together to give the picture some command to pull you into its world

This is by no means a definitive, exhaustive or scholarly definition of a portrait, just my take on what might be helpful to us as a start.

The presentation of your self-portrait lacked in composition and clarity. I do like your examination of your own view of yourself. As a start, perhaps pick other people to make portraits.

Asher

Last edited: