Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default Technical fortnight

Hi! I was just wondering if this site was on a technical fortnight these days, a sort of festival. So I take advantage of this situation to ask about the "physics" of a weird behaviour filter in Photoshop. I name it The Displacement maps Filter.
Can anybody just explain me the dark reasons why it seems to always have a behaviour of its own and why when I achieve a result, I'm never able to reproduce it. There might be a mechanic.
Eh! yes I know about the white that displace and the black that displace in the other way, but...What about if the 2 images haven't got the same size?..When you blur your reference image can you calculate the amount of blur you got to add? I'm mostly talking about grayscale references, but maybe the inner spirit of color references can be pointed too?

I would like to know about a sort of recipe, because I'm fed up about trial and errors... When you spend hours in trials and errors in PS, it's because you didn't get it.

Thanks for enlighting my brain...;-)
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
Hi! I was just wondering if this site was on a technical fortnight these days, a sort of festival.
I think it is more of a brain fart (péter le cerveau).

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

brain blow-up should be the appropriate way to translate...To be honest I expected an apparition from you. But not about language :-)
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
brain blow-up should be the appropriate way to translate
Well, we do not always operate from Larousse here.

Quote:
...To be honest I expected an apparition from you. But not about language :-)
What a lovely word. Thank you.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Well, we do not always operate from Larousse here.
It's because it's a bit rude, but I don't blame you...

You would'nt say

"oh ****! I just farted 12 months worth salary"

when you meant to say

"Holy mother of Christ! I've just blown up my new 8-15 f/4 L USM"


Quote:
What a lovely word. Thank you.
OPF is my bible, there might be Saints somewhere...
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
It's because it's a bit rude, but I don't blame you...

You would'nt say

"oh ****! I just farted 12 months worth salary"

when you meant to say

"Holy mother of Christ! I've just blown up my new 8-15 f/4 L USM"
Actually, its a metaphor, and a rare one at that - you might never have encountered it!

Typical usage is this:

"What ever made you put that 6V battery in a 12V charger?"

"I dunno - must have had a brain fart."

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Sandrine,


Actually, its a metaphor, and a rare one at that - you might never have encountered it!

Typical usage is this:

"What ever made you put that 6V battery in a 12V charger?"

"I dunno - must have had a brain fart."

Best regards,

Doug

That's right! Never encountered it! If I do, you might see me raising my eyebrows... I thought it was a word for word translation, my mistake.
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Nill Toulme Nill Toulme is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 1,407
Default

"Brain cramp" is a more polite variation. ;-)

Nill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default Techncial fartnight

Hi, Sandrine,

In any case, note how we have all avoided coming to grips with the mysterious matter of the Displacement maps Filter in Photoshop!

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

The colloqualism under discussion is well treated here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_fart

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

I'll let you talk, guys 'till I get my informations. I goooooott aaallll mmmmyyyy tiiiimmmeee....
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM
StuartRae StuartRae is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,024
Default Brain Fart

Quote:
"What ever made you put that 6V battery in a 12V charger?"
"I dunno - must have had a brain fart."
Hi Doug,

Does this qualify?

Every Tuesday I pick up my friend Colin and drive into Bath for a game of snooker at the Civil Service Club. I put my car keys on the shelf below the score-board, because if I keep them in my pocket they dig into tender bits when I stretch over the table.
A couple of weeks ago we were driving home, just leaving Bath, when I started feeling in my pockets.
"What's up?" asked Colin.
"Just checking that I picked my keys up" I replied.

Regards,

Stuart
__________________
-----------------------------------
C&C and edits always welcome
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Stuart,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartRae View Post
Does this qualify?

Every Tuesday I pick up my friend Colin and drive into Bath for a game of snooker at the Civil Service Club. I put my car keys on the shelf below the score-board, because if I keep them in my pocket they dig into tender bits when I stretch over the table.
A couple of weeks ago we were driving home, just leaving Bath, when I started feeling in my pockets.
"What's up?" asked Colin.
"Just checking that I picked my keys up" I replied.
That is an elegant, and certainly qualifying, example.

When Carla gets home from her day's outings (she has gone to Dallas, 70 miles away, on various medical, logistic, and social errands), I'll show that to her. She will certainly be able to relate it to things I do all the time!

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Stuart,


That is an elegant, and certainly qualifying, example.

When Carla gets home from her day's outings (she has gone to Dallas, 70 miles away, on various medical, logistic, and social errands), I'll show that to her. She will certainly be able to relate it to things I do all the time!

Best regards,

Doug
Ever trying to write something with the Wacom pen? and shouting "bloody hell! these cheap pens they never work!"
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
Ever trying to write something with the Wacom pen? and shouting "bloody hell! these cheap pens they never work!"
I love it!

Thanks for the observation.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Sandrine,


I love it!

Thanks for the observation.

Best regards,

Doug
So let's say I have a brain fart a least every weak. It's a long term condition.

Still sneaking around the problem? DOF, Confusion circles, optics laws, DNGs... everybody's very smart but then comes the big issue ! huh! BAD BOY! :-)
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,279
Default

Hi, Sandrine,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine Bascouert View Post
So let's say I have a brain fart a least every weak. It's a long term condition.

Still sneaking around the problem? DOF, Confusion circles, optics laws, DNGs... everybody's very smart but then comes the big issue ! huh! BAD BOY! :-)
Do I need to schedule a spanking?

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Sandrine Bascouert Sandrine Bascouert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brighton (UK)
Posts: 991
Default

No need. I tried to poke at your pride...Don't mind!
__________________
Sandrine: the genuine "5th wheel of the wagon". Second to none! Established 1970.
website
C&C always welcome!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dimensional analysis - new technical article Doug Kerr Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances. 3 February 6th, 2010 05:38 PM
Chrominance subsampling - Technical article reissued Doug Kerr Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances. 0 December 3rd, 2009 08:13 PM
White balance color correction - new technical article Doug Kerr CM Theory and Practice 2 October 6th, 2009 06:09 AM
The f-number - new technical article Doug Kerr Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances. 6 June 17th, 2009 06:13 AM
The ColorRight MAX - new technical article Doug Kerr CM Theory and Practice 5 November 19th, 2008 12:40 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!