• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

1DSMKIII Early news

John Sheehy

Aside from high ISO I'm still pleased with my 1D and have seen no reason to upgrade yet as the resolution is plenty for 12 x 18 which is the largest I ever print. The 1DIII has me thinking but I may just wait til they make a real breakthrough with DR and not just more useless megapixels.

Pixels are not adverse to DR. You can not gauge the DR of an image by the DR of its pixels. A 4MP camera with 1/2 the pixel noise of a 16MP camera has the same image noise, and lower resolution.

Tom Henkel

So? At the time of the 1Ds intro, at 11MP, the biggest drive one could buy was 250GB (with 300GB around the corner in May 2003), and the biggest CF memory card was 1GB (I got two of the very first 2GB cards overnighted the day before my honeymoon, which is why I remember it very well - at $799/piece). Today, by the time the 1Ds3 will ship, the largest disk will be 1TB (shipping in April) and _today_ a 16GB SanDisk III card costs $230. So by all measures, the original 1Ds was "much harder" on memory. I am pretty sure the same can be said for computer speed and RAM.

By and large, the cost of memory and storage is peanuts compared to the cost of missed opportunities or even the $8k sticker of the 1Ds series (so far anyway). I shot 220GB worth of my daughter so far and of all the things that I've spent my money on this past year, this doesn't itch me even a little bit. YMMV, of course.

So...It's an issue of practical use. I would be delighted if the 1DsMkIII offered 22mp @ 7fps (assuming it doesn't dramatically increase the price). But if you regularly shoot action situations it's still too slow and burns up too much memory to be your primary camera.

If you were given the assignment of shooting a high resolution action shot for the cover of Sports Illustrated, a 1Ds MkIII (assuming 22mp/7fps turns out to be what is really announced) would certainly get the job done. For some fashion shoots it would be fantastic. Same with wildlife shooting. But you would still want to carry a 1D MkIII for regular action coverage because the limitations of this sort of camera would eventually get in your way. You would either have to shoot tethered to a big hard disk or carry a bunch of memory cards in the field.

To its credit, Canon responded to real customer needs with the 1D MkIII. I haven't seen a significant customer outcry for a high fps 1Ds. More DR? You bet. Higher ISO? yes. Better IQ? Always. More fps? -- sure if you can throw it in at no additional cost.

It seems to me the 7fps rumor is a variation of the consolidated 1D/1Ds rumor that was floating around last year at this time. While I would love to see it happen, I'm skeptical that it's real.

Tom

Aaron Strasburg

Asher,

The 1DIII has to switch off AF when in live preview because the mirror's no longer there to bounce the light onto the AF sensor. I suppose you could do some sort of contrast detection as on point and shoot cameras using the main sensor, but I don't think you'd be very happy with that.

I don't know about the Olympus cameras with live preview. I vaguely remember that the E330 uses a second, lower resolution sensor for live preview so it may actually be able to maintain AF.

Aaron

MArk Le

Neil Turner D30

Mark,

I'd venture to stick my neck out and ask how much improvement hase be made since Neil Turner made these pictures with the 30D? written in 2000 by Neil Turner a wonderful photographer and teacher in England at dg28.com

Asher,
that was a fantastic flashback! well done.
I do remember the pictures, Neil did surprise myself too.

how much improvement you ask? LOL from THAT?

now we have better high ISO shots. Do we? Or we maybe think that we do.

It was not so long ago (but still several years ago) when I took this shot that made it to the news that day and one my first with a digital camera with that destination. 1Ds RAW manual ISO 500 1/100 2.8. Flash (metz 54 in AUTO) set -1 (EV) bounced with omnibounce) second reflector active.

2033_tre_400.jpg

it was a typical ISO 500 2.8 shot and by then I was amazed by the power of digital in terms of resolution and pure definition. ISO 500... 100 more than my usual shots with film. And I was so happy. The shadows there tell the story, and there is no sign of noise (in the shadows). This shot was basically "untouched" by Post Processing, not even luminosity, not even USM.

Today all I hear is how to fight the noise. and how many more pixels can be packed into the same area.

looking at the pictures Neil took with a D30 sure one starts thinking... and thinking

good you did reminding us about it!

:)

The 1DIII, BTW switches off autofocus when you have live preview!!!

With the current Canon AF system it has to disable AF, because the AF sensors get their light from the little rear mirror behind the main mirror (a proven system that appears to work fine). So the mirror has to be in place for auto focus. Once the mirror is flipped up and out of the way, then the projected image can be viewed when the shutter is opened. Before the actual exposure the shutter has to be physically closed in order to allow resetting the sensor array, draining all charge (sometimes multiple drains).

Point and Shoot cameras sometimes use an electronic shutter (draining while being exposed), but the better ones also use a physical shutter which improves dynamic range.

Bart

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Mark once again I am reminded (by your post ) about the amount of BS regarding, noise, IQ, etc, etc. Who cares.

I came through using blads & I thouht they were the bees knees. Now I am not the type of guy that shoots brick walls or test charts.........(for those that do that is great......saves me doing it) I just have real life customers...they love what I do. Now if you looked through my work technically there is no question you would find fault. However, you want to give me my Blads back.........shove it baby, digital rocks. My 1DSII is gold. Due to my ignorance I don't even push the files to the max potential, but even with my limited knowledge the images kill anything I was getting out of the Hasslebalds (film) If this was the end game as far as digital is concerned I would be more then happy...........however........as I have previously stated, bring on that 1DSMKIII, it is gonna seriously rock.

Ciao,

Paul

John_Nevill

This is an interesting debate, I does make wonder what the end game is, although does it really matter?, dSLRs are becoming commodities akin to computers, on day the you buy them they're obselete.

3 years ago the average Joe used a £200 digicam , now everwhere I go I see dSLRs.

I use 1DMKIINs and if had £1 for everyone that recently snubbed it for its lowly 8mp resolution, in a "look at my 10mp+ model", I'd have a 1DSMkII by now.

Surely photography is about the image and what you get out of your camera, if its film, digital or organic(?), again does it matter?

Although I must confess to shooting targets, but not brick walls!, At the time it was a learning exrecise to both familiarise myself with the product and to determine its limitations. Which at the end of the day probably turned out to be me!

Will_Perlis

John,

The "Mine is better than yours" thing has been going on since Grofplug compared his rock to the one Frebjor picked up, it's just that the net spreads it more rapidly and widely. The same goes for nit-picking about the not relevant. I'm convinced that if some photographer got a shot of the Buddah, Christ, Abraham, and Mohammad at a coffee house, hashing out what God really meant, some dude on the net would complain about a sensor dust spot on a robe or a blown highlight in a halo.

IMO, one must learn to ignore the rabble, and in a really indifferent way, not in a defiant way that gives their opinions weight. Fortunately, the net provides ample opportunities for that learning.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

The "Mine is better than yours" thing has been going on since Grofplug compared his rock to the one Frebjor picked up, it's just that the net spreads it more rapidly and widely. The same goes for nit-picking about the not relevant. I'm convinced that if some photographer got a shot of the Buddah, Christ, Abraham, and Mohammad at a coffee house, hashing out what God really meant, some dude on the net would complain about a sensor dust spot on a robe or a blown highlight in a halo.

IMO, one must learn to ignore the rabble, and in a really indifferent way, not in a defiant way that gives their opinions weight. Fortunately, the net provides ample opportunities for that learning.

Will,

This sums up the main thrust of this community, going from what the photographer has in his/her head to an impressive print and then joy. It's not more complicated than that!

I happen to call this The Arc of Intent. It concentrates on our effort not the camera's prowess.

The camera is just something in between the photographers imagination and the thrill of those who "get it" time and again when looking at the photographer's work.

Asher