• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

8x10 results from todays OPF shoot, a 100 Year Old Locomotive!

• Thread starter Deleted member 55
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55

All comments are welcome!

SteamLocomotive001-s.jpg

Calumet C1, ISO 100, F16 at 1/2 sec., Polaroid type 804, Nicor W 240mm F5.6 Copal 3

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Lovely shot, and a lovely machine.

Best regards,

Doug

D

Doug Kerr

Engine 870

Here is some information on this locotomotive, from steamlocomotive.com:

[This is] an AT&SF class 870 Consolidation (2-8-0). Originally, this locomotive was numbered 101 of the Saint Louis, Rocky Mountain and Pacific RR. Ownership was transferred to the Santa Fe in 1915 and renumbered 870. It was sold to the Albuquerque and Cerrillos Coal Co. at Madrid, NM in 1940. It was abandoned around 1950 and acquired by Santa Fe Springs in 1988 from the town of Madrid, NM. There is a bronze plaque at the museum that states that the tender is from engine 874.

A complete archaelogical discussion of this locomotive will be found here:

http://www.trainnet.org/Libraries/Lib002/AT870.TXT

It was built by Baldwin and delivered to the RM & SF as their No. 101 in September of 1906 and its cost was $16,216.25.

I believe the tender on exhibit with it was originally that for AT&SF 874, also described in the second reference above.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is my view of the same train taken with a 1DII and handheld sequential shot, quick-stitched on a trial version of AutoPano Pro software. This is a reduction to 1500 pixels wide of a 417 MB 16BIT file 8500 pixels wide.

Just S curve and sharpened. Not cleaned up of the signs and no sky added!

Pano_exRAW0983handheld_train.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman AT&SF Class 870 Consolidation (2-8-0) Heritage Park, Santa Fe Springs, CA

This train will be posted again in other reincarnations, for sure.

The stitching was surpisingly easy!

50 1.2L and the aperture was f 7.0, Speed, 1/85sec. ISO 320. This was just a 10 second 12 grab shots.

My first stitch with this software and it was fun!

highlight_auto.jpg

The software is found here .

Asher

Last edited:
D

Doug Kerr

Nice work

Hi, Asher,

A nice piece of work, and nice to hear that this software package seems capable and easy to use.

I liked your presentation of your thumbnail panel and the various frames you used as ingredients. It gives a nice insight into the workflow.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks Doug,

I want to pint out that getting an image to match well in stitching is orders of magnitude easier when there's just one row of images taken fast in constant light in manual exposure, especially when leaning against a tree!

Each row adds a different and less related set of XY and Z coordinates for each frame and to be matched to previous frames since it is coming from the opposite direction.

This is perfectly fine for art but not for most accurately preserving the micro structure of textures and the orthogonality of structures like windows and doors in fine art copying or for architecture.

However, even hand held with several rows, most people would not recognize the defects we might be concerned about.

As youy can see from the picture of the train, this grab set of images works and is amazingly straightforward.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here is the result from a multiple row shoot with an prototype of a multiple row beautiful stitcher attachment for the back of a 4x5 Camera with a 180mm lens at f 5.6. The unit is a prototype and it is fun testing it.

The train is not in perfect focus but that is my fault, working after the park closed and not using the front swing to get a plane of focus! This pano is from a set of 5 rows in portrait with 11 pics in each at 1cm steps. In fact I didn't need all the images. It took to long to render in APP with the most fussy settings and my G5 crashed, LOL hours later!

So I selected the needed pictures and starting at 2 am redid the stitch and was ready 3 hours later!

The angle at the right of the pano is because I substitued the last 2 shots in each row to not have Will in the shot as he was moving around taking his pictures! After I finished the 5 rows I must have moved the set up.

Here's the image from 40 of the jpg pictures (the RAWS have not been used)

Pano_MG_7546SS6N3ROWS.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman Train from 40 jpgs: No Edits

and here with minimal futher processing

Pano_MG_7546SS6N3ROWSedited.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman Train from 40 jpgs: S-curve & Unsharp mask

This run was to get a feel for the sliding back and the workflow.

In future I'll stop down further and check the focus in my laptop before going the whole 9 yards and do just 3 rows. I'll be trying other stitching options.

However, I'm happy with the result so far.

Asher

Last edited:
D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Here is the result from a multiple row shoot with an prototype of a multiple row beautiful stitcher attachment for the back of a 4x5 Camera with a 180mm lens at f 5.6.

Will Thompson had told me of that neat machine you have.

That is a really great result.

Best regards,

Doug