• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Architectural film scans - churches

Scott Keating

A couple of older negs I've scanned (goes along with work I posted in landscapes). These are from 1987-1988 and I've learned a lot since then, I think. One comment right up front: the leaves in the upper-left of the first image are pretty empty. There's detail in the neg but I might be just pushing the limits of my scanner without going to HDR - that'll be a future project.

672508749_5BWiw-XL.jpg

Scott Keating: St Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church - Fairfax Virginia - Nikon F w/Nikkor 50mm f1.4, Tech-Pan film

672513944_iM2ej-XL.jpg

Scott Keating: St Peter's Catholic Church - Harper's Ferry, West VA - Nikon F w/Nikkor 50mm f1.4, Tech-Pan film

Jim Galli

A couple of older negs I've scanned (goes along with work I posted in landscapes). These are from 1987-1988 and I've learned a lot since then, I think. One comment right up front: the leaves in the upper-left of the first image are pretty empty. There's detail in the neg but I might be just pushing the limits of my scanner without going to HDR - that'll be a future project.

I really love your framing in that second one. Very well thought out.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Scott - as you call the shots ;-)

at the first church - I found the leaves in the upper-left getting to much attention and challenges the strong contrast between tombes and church. Even more, it produces a diagonal line with the lower dark tree at the right, which challenges the verticality of the church's tower.

I assume that your main interest is the church, and the cimitery...

I do not know how you handle it, I personally would retouch these upper-left leaves completly away - holding my hands on them to figure out how it might look like... okay its less 3 D, but way more calme and IMO better °readable°

Scott Keating

Good idea, I might try it. During that period I was using one camera with one lens (50mm) which imposed limitations. Hadn't really thought about just removing them digitally now.

Thanks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Scott,

How are you set up with a computer and what do you use for processing software. Do you shoot digital as well? I ask because I'm wondering whether you are set up to do touch ups, masking etc.

Asher

Scott Keating

Scott, How are you set up with a computer and what do you use for processing software.

Quad-core based PC, Windows-7, CS3, scanning with an Epson 4990 and silverfast AI (pro I think). "Raw" scans for use with Silvertfast HDR show lots of detail but I don't own that software, just played with the demo enough to see what it does.

Do you shoot digital as well? I ask because I'm wondering whether you are set up to do touch ups, masking etc.

Oh yeah, I'm all digital now (except for work-related stuff).