• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ballerina

Charlotte Thompson

West Light- a dance- sequence-

DSC_0126-1.jpg

DSC_0184-1.jpg

DSC_0181-1.jpg

DSC_0182-1.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte,

I did like the #3 as having potential. Pity it also contains a pole and an icebox to the right. So I took the liberty of editing it. I have removed the distractions (the jpg version you have posted does not have enough resolution and it is highly compressed so removing the distractions was not possible without leaving some traces behind) and played with the tonality to improve the light on her face. I have toned down the highlights of the plants in the top left area. Finally, I have added grain and a vignette to make it look like an old B&W picture. This is just to give you an idea how it can also look like, I hope you'll like it.

ct_ballerina_edit_cu.jpg

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

what a beautiful rendition! I knew the cooler and the pole was wrong- but the little ballerina took off dancing and would not move from that spot-I saw the distractions against the shots immediately but I kept telling myself "get the shots" maybe I could rescue the picture however my picasa didn't let me-I knew I couldn't crop out the total grace of her arms it would have ruined what I was trying to catch- so it was a rock and a hard spot situation-
but you have been the rescue that the little voice in my head told me would happen. Thank you for your kindness and undeniable artistry. I have NX2 but my computer doesn't have enough memory to work with it completely but soon that will change! Cem, you have a beautiful eye and knowing-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Cem and Charlotte,

You have both grabbed my attention with your work!

First, Charlotte,

Your orignal, thanks goodness, has not be distorted by photoshop! That's a first an important consideration! Let's protect work from filters whenever possible. Black and white works so well and gives us more attention to form, texture and thoughts underlying the work.

DSC_0181-1.jpg

Your picture here has glorious disorder! It shows the cluttered background from which she has to emerge as she grows. She has to survive, in a way, the givens and detritus of our two generations above here.

BTW, I'd have added fill light to at least allow her face some divinity.

Cem,

ct_ballerina_edit_cu.jpg

Cem,

Your own effort is remarkable. It starts with empathy and that makes for motivation. After all, we're all busy with lots to pull us away.

Your edited version of Charlotte's lone ballerina, is magnificent like a delicate butterfly, with feeling for the fragility for the young girl. This tenderness comes, I believe, from being a devoted father. You want to remove barriers for this child and so level the playing field, so to speak so she can dance.

Degas would love it!

So is there a general lesson from this photograph? I think it's this.

Art is a multistep process. Ideas have to incubate and we need the work to be able to impact on our hands and mind in the physicality of it as it's being built from the image that the dumb/smart, (but uninformed), silicon potentially records.

Allow the first image that appears a voice and then ask, "How this might be presented best?"

So which picture means more to you Charlotte? The original or Cem's version? Had you thought enough of the photographs processing? Maybe you had. Still I'd like to know.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

yes Cem's idea is very light and has a true little girl fantasy about it- which is very pleasing to the eye- I dont have the tools to remove clutter at least not yet
the original shot of mine of course means to me much- the original surrondings will mean much as a clue to her childhood when she grows up- I liked the fact of the caught netting in the tuttu in the original and of course the West light spraying through it-
as I have said to Cem she wouldnt move away from the cooler and I had to go for it" regardless-a learning experience for sure - someday I want to work with props like Chappelle- I watched a documentary on his work last night- though I always had ideas of my own in that regard and will slowly implement them- Thank you for coming by this thread- I always love to read and think about your insightful
thoughts

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Here is another I did with a touch more light and shading and crop in the "Fairy Idea" of Cem's but
I thought to call this piece

The Angel of the West Light

DSC_0187-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi charlotte,

There's a catchlight in her lovely eyes. Is that the flash?

I'd like to know how you set up this shot compared to the previous dark ones? what was your decision process and how did you cahnge your camera settings?

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here is another I did with a touch more light and shading and crop in the "Fairy Idea" of Cem's but
I thought to call this piece

The Angel of the West Light

DSC_0187-1.jpg

Much better!

How did you come to change the settings. could you explain what you were thinking or this is with flash and automatic?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher- as you know I have a Nkon d40 and use lens Micro-Nikkor 105mm
and Nikonspeed light sb 600
when I did the sequence I like using the West light setting sun in a certain spot on the patio
these are of course all candid shots-clickclickclick-
set on auto but I always always hand focus the lens- when the subject is moving fairly quickly this is a tricky thing-I just keep shooting and hand focus I seem to always submerege with a few interesting pieces to work with
in this case I found another Ballerina shot that had a bit of overexposure and decided to make an angel presentation out of it
those "eyes" were not to be denied!
I used Picasa for all the color changes,shading etc that is my own work btw* and crop to get the look
I was about 15 feet away from her when this was done and I dont know if the flash caught her eyes or West light-that light is brilliant and strong at times in Texas-

I took advantage of light and mistakes and turned out an angel- that was my thought to try and see if I could do it- I am pleased with art-I do think it gives us a look into angels
I hope this answers your questions- thank you for coming back Asher

Charlotte-
-