• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bread Project

Antonio Correia

I have visited a small and artisanal factory producing bread, last week.
I was with some friends who were very pleased to see.
I asked the bakers if I could come back to make a Photographic Project under the theme of "doing bread". They agreed. Good ! :)
This image here is nothing but the first one I have done a few hours ago and you can see it as an essai.
The title and the process are not yet fine tuned as this is just a first approach to the work.
I hope to come at the end, to some 12 to 15 images of the hole process.
Thank you for watching.

i-Z4BqcXh-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
An astounding atmosphere with an intensely close packed production!

Looking forward to more!

Asher

Andy brown

Yeah, I like where this is going too Antonio.
I swear I can smell the bread. Bravo!

I don't bake much but I do make a good pie and I love the process of making a good pizza.
I've finally learned to start early and let the yeast do its work.
The rest comes down to tasty ingredients and a hot oven.

Yummy, nice entree, bring on the rest.

Antonio Correia

I made a lot of images yesterday but I was (am) not satisfied with the results.
I do not like the lighting. It is coming too strongly from the windows which I tried to avoid as much as possible with not so good results.
I must proceed differently. I have not yet a precise line to follow. However, I do have some ideas.
Today in the morning I wanted to go there but I couldn't. Anyway when I come back I want to offer them two printed images.
Even the portrait of both is not the way I like...
While I was there they have been working all the time. I have to concentrate on parts of the work and not to get the whole of it in one session.
I brought home a wonderful bread. The bread itself must also be photographed as well as the tools, machines and equipment.

i-HPjRZwK-X2.jpg
-
i-pTQMG9G-X2.jpg

Charlotte Thompson

Antonio

These are beautiful! It creates a sense of well being looking at them. A sense of humanity and humility! I love your sepia process as well.

Charlotte-

Antonio Correia

Thank you Fahim ! :)

I have already erased most of the photographs and I hope to be able to make a visit tomorrow morning. Now it's 23.00 local time.

I will have to ask them for the complete names so I can write them below the photographs I am going to offer. I will also make a few test shots to check out the available light which is - I am sure - very different.

Looks like another wonderful series, Antonio. I especially like the warm black and white ones. As usual, your work is always beautiful. :)
Maggie

Antonio Correia

Thank you James ! :)
I went there the other day but the bakery was closed, I do not know why.
I have to go back there with a wider lens and a little bench as I could understand that the views from above are quite interesting.
Perhaps during the coming week.

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

These pictures are coming along wonderfully and make an excellent new section for your already impressive portfolio. I like the depth you can now deliver by following a process.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Robert ! :)
I am not completely satisfied. Because perhaps I am too demanding about my photographs...
At 400 ISO - or because of it - the noise is too much.
The lens is Leica and so on but...

m4/3 hhuuuummm... it's good - OK I know - but will I be pushing the bar too high ?
Will I be pushing the bar so high as it is out of reach for this system ?

I wish I could afford a Sony a7R II. Who knows if one day I lose my nuts and bolts...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Antonio,

A lovely shot, very insightful.

I assume that the slot in the conveyor end cap (the "star" of the shot) is to allow the alignment of the belt on the roller to be seen.

Typically there is provision for slightly changing the angle of the roller (perhaps at the end we don't see in this shot) to make then belt travel in the proper position.

Often the roller is ever so slightly larger in diameter at its center, which automatically encourages the belt to continue to travel in the right position.

Your series makes we long for the smell of bread being baked!

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

...Your series makes we long for the smell of bread being baked! ...

Thank you Doug ! :)
They were packing the bread when I was there last night.
There was a pleasant smell in the air :)

I intend to photograph more the machines and details.
Thank you for commenting ! :)

Robert Watcher

Thank you Robert ! :)
I am not completely satisfied. Because perhaps I am too demanding about my photographs...
At 400 ISO - or because of it - the noise is too much.
The lens is Leica and so on but...

m4/3 hhuuuummm... it's good - OK I know - but will I be pushing the bar too high ?
Will I be pushing the bar so high as it is out of reach for this system ?

I wish I could afford a Sony a7R II. Who knows if one day I lose my nuts and bolts...

I may even lose my nuts and bolts one day and purchase Sony full frame - who knows :). For me, such a camera will never work for pulling out from my pants pocket or discretely from my sling bag. That is why I currently have no other choice than the Olympus Pen cameras. Plus everyone who sees what I am using, are so impressed with the amazing little camera - and some have to buy one when they see it.

I don't stare and critique at 100% on screen because no one else will ever see the images that way. Resized for web, or reproduced as prints, it is virtually impossible to see noise even though with Olympus m4/3 it is there even at 200ISO in reality.

If I was still as active in my portrait business as I was in the mid 2000's - where I regularly got $2,000 to $3,000 or more for my sessions, I may just have such a camera as Sony is currently providing. And maybe not, because I love the feel and lenses of Olympus. For me, my gear has to pay for itself and make me money, or I am fine with what I have.

Antonio Correia

Perhaps Robert I did not made myself understand. I am sure it is a problem of language and I aware that my English is rather poor.

When I said that I am very demanding on my photographs I was not thinking about the image we see here or on the web but when I print them here, at home.

As you may remember or know, my life has not been in the photography business. So, I do not have your knowledge and expertise on this matter.

I do like my prints to come out with lots and lots of quality. And this, it looks like I can't get with my m4/3 system but I may be wrong.

This is the reason why I would like to own a 7RII. But I think that is too much for my pocket. No that the camera can't fit in my pocket's coat but only because it is far too expensive.

i-dkkvV2Q-X2.jpg

Robert Watcher

I'm sorry Antonio. I wasn't implying that you were incorrect or should to listen to what I say. I was just talking - actually being supportive by saying that I may end up with the Sony too at some point. Also that I have specific reasons for using the cameras that I do even if they aren't the best in all Areas (actually no camera is).

I view public forums as instructive and so while I was responding to your post, I am always including the broader audience when I include my thoughts. You definitely have the right to not be satisfied with things that you don't like about your work, equipment or technique. Sometimes that can lead to improvement and sometimes contentment is a good thing. There are limits and realities. In photography that may include monetary. :)

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

You mentioned some angst in the quality of prints. I wonder whether other factors, other than the inherent limitations of sensor size might be causing the disturbance to your satisfaction.

First your original:

i-dkkvV2Q-X2.jpg

This is better than colour !

i-RhHp5Pj-X2.jpg

.....and yes, the message in the B&W version has a far more powerful voice. First you've removed the dissonant distraction of color, but you've also dampened the voices of peripheral elements too!

This I think might be the key to getting the most out of the images in this series - diminish the importance of extraneous attention-getting elements that are so well seen in the modern camera's output.

You might, as of course you know, do that by using larger apertures or even adding light to the main subject. Or, using just your time at the computer later on, have the other elements to be dimmer, slightly more blurred. By allocation of levels of immediacy in density, focus and illumination your pictures speaks with greater clarity and this is what you did here - not merely drain away color!

I suspect that the resulting print at 11" x 14" will be pretty well indistinguishable at 12" viewing distance from one made with the A7RII, except if one focuses attention on fine hairs, as 99.99% of the impact is derived from the shapes, textures, composition and gestures one can recognize.

We are so expert at filling in the rest, that unless there's a requirement to actually read fine text or recognize particular grasses in a field, we've already decided whether or not that pictures engages and fascinates us and makes us linger on with its presence.

So I am hesitant to accept that you will, in the end be disappointed with these prints once you have taken the processing to your natural limits of satisfaction - and that may not come immediately. Ansel Adams and other great masters post processed their own prints for months and years, just to develop the experience they were after.

Asher