• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 100-400 replacement?

KrisCarnmarker

My brother just got a Sigma 50-500 for his Nikon D200 and I've had the chance to test it a bit, even a semi-serious comparison with my Canon 70-200 f2.8 on my 20D. Although the 70-200 is clearly much better (no surprise there) the Sigma produces surprisingly good images. However, just as the Tamron 200-500, it is far far too slow. Most probably because of this slowness, the auto-focus is nearly useless. Even in bright daylight the auto-focus kept hunting endlessly.

I still have time, but I am currently leaning towards the 300/f4+1.4 on a second body.

Alan T. Price

well, you can now be pretty confident that canon will not be replacing the 100-400 this year. However, as you don't need it until mid-2007 and as there will be more lens and camera announcements next March or thenabouts, you may as well wait.

If you do buy a 100-400 just be sure that the one you get can focus sharp at max aperture at 400. Test it thoroughly asap after getting it. There are too many reports of soft copies to risk not testing the one you get.