• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

canon 24-105 f/4 L is usm

Ivan Garcia

Hi all
After reading rave reviews here and in other forums, I have taken the plunge and purchased this lens.
I was wondering if you guys can help here.
The serial number for the lens is UUO 908.
According to Canon web this lens has a flare problem (which I have known about prior to purchase)
From canon Uk web
<snip> ...If it contains the letters UT followed by a number under 1,000, the product may be affected.
Is my lens affected?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Congratulations, Ivan. It's a wonderful general purpose lens that I'm sure you'll find often attached to your camera. I very much enjoy mine.

If you purchased the lens new then, no, it's the modified version. It's highly unlikely that yours is copy of the original version that had this optical anomaly as they were all recalled nearly a year ago when the lens was first introduced.

Ivan Garcia

Thank you guys.
The lens was purchased new from a Canon dealer here in London, and it has not left my 5D since.
Thank you all for your reassurance, it confirms my initial thoughts; just wanted to be sure. ;-)