• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carla and I put three muslin leaders in their place . . .

Doug Kerr

. . . on the fabric supply and takeup spindles on her new quilting machine yesterday.

We'll have a full photographic report on this wondrous engine shortly. For now, I'll just show you the three muslin leaders, put in their place:

MkII_pinning_shelf_F03478R.jpg

Also shown in the Mark II Pinning Shelf, an apparatus that aids the operator in pinning the leading/trailing edges of the fabric to the respective leaders (otherwise needing to be done "in midair", which you can imagine is no fun).

Here is a quick view of (part of) the entire machine (leaders not yet attached):

Quilt_Machine_F03425R.jpg

The frame is a NewJoy Magic frame, in the 10' wide configuration, a new model introduced within the last year. The sewing head is a NewJoy Crystal Quilter head, just newly introduced (this is one of the first few shipped).

The head sits on a PCQuilter Model SF numerical control carriage (adapted by us to the Magic frame and Crystal Quilter head). It provides complete numerical control of the quilting process. The system can fully automatically stitch a complex pattern in "passes" up to 12" high and 102" wide.

The lower control panel above the "handlebars" is for the sewing head itself (sets speed, moves needle up/down while at stop, trips the thread cutter, etc.). The upper control panel is a touch-screen LCD panel that controls the quilting automation software (which runs on a Dell laptop, not seen here).

This has been a fascinating project.

The frame is a NewJoy Magic frame, in the 10' wide configuration, a new model introduced within the last year. The sewing head is a NewJoy Crystal Quilter head, just newly introduced (this is one of the first few shipped).

I'm insanely jealous. I've always done my quilting by hand, but if I had a machine like that, every bed & wall in my home, and my family's homes, and probably all my neighbor's homes would be decked out :) Maybe I could talk my representative into sending me one as an "economic stimulus package" if I promised to continue to give half my quilts to battered women shelters... Hmmm maybe they'll need to send me a minion too so I can free up some time to use it.

-Colleen