• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Fall Color, coming to a place near you! Don't miss it! Share here!

Different fall color-

No bright yellow/orange, but still the color of fall..... or maybe early winter?
87089524.jpg

StuartRae

Dead leaves and bracken framing a moth-eaten fly agaric.

350D, EF-S 17-85 IS @ 85mm, f5.6, 1/50 sec, ISO 200.

aut07-025-01.jpg

Stuart

Jack_Flesher

Just finisned our workshop in Yosemite and the color was the best I've seen in 25 years. (I'm on the road and these are processed quickly on my laptop. All taken with the M8.)

Really early:

Merced_Color_900.jpg

Later:

roots.jpg

Same area:

lonemaple.jpg

The day before, really early:

mercedblend.jpg

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
A few from this afternoon in my garden......

IMG_0080ss.jpg

IMG_0021ss.jpg

IMG_0045ss.jpg

I've never known Clematis "Nelly Moser" to be in flower so late in the year before, climate chaos!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jan,

I love the Clematis. I used to grow them climbing by our front door. Do you have more of the plant?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Asher

Yes, I'll sort some more out, maybe tomorrow, we have a lot of clematis in the garden, so it tends to get photographed a lot, but we've never had a third crop of flowers before, very strange........

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Jack

Absolutely beautiful images, we really must go to Yosemite, thank you for showing these. I particularly like the last two, the light on the sapling is beautiful, and the final one is just stunning!

Asher Kelman

Jack,

Is there something about the M8 that makes it especially good for natural colors like leaves, grass and trees?

Also did you take LF of the same scenes. I'd live to this in Velvia!

Asher

I've never known Clematis "Nelly Moser" to be in flower so late in the year before, climate chaos!!

On a side note, yes, I'd fully sign that!

3 month ago there was an invasion of jellyfish on the beach, but not the regular ones, 2-3 inch minis, in the ten thousands they swamped the bach for a few days. At the same time a pinkish sea snail appeared here, they feed on those mini jellyfish. So far so good, but the thing is that sea snail does not usually appear here, rather in the gulf of mexico, which was confirmed by biologists.

Yesterday I spotted a school of dolphins and shark at least a 16 footer in the bay here. By August the Dolphins usually disappeared already.

There are a couple of such things that attracted my attention here. I always chrosscheck with biologists who have local knowledge.

I just think if you observe closely your local areas where you usually shoot, you probably find the one or other irrgeular seasonal thing happening. Green Finches started to die here suddenly as well.

Anyhow, sorry for OT.

Jack_Flesher

Hello Jack

Absolutely beautiful images, we really must go to Yosemite, thank you for showing these. I particularly like the last two, the light on the sapling is beautiful, and the final one is just stunning!

Thanks Janet! The last two are my favorites of that series too. The last one is a blend of two exposures taken a few seconds apart. I exposed the first for the sky, the second for the foreground then blended them together manually in photoshop using some some new tools and techniques I have developed.

BTW, I really like your red leaves shot!

Jack_Flesher

Jack,

Is there something about the M8 that makes it especially good for natural colors like leaves, grass and trees?

Also did you take LF of the same scenes. I'd live to this in Velvia!

Asher

Hi Asher:

Since I was leading a digital workshop there, I did not take my view camera :( However, the M8 performed pretty admirably I think. Regarding its color, I think in general the Leica files produce superior color out of the camera than say my Canon does --- or more accurately, I spend a lot less time processing the M8 files to get the colors I want than I do with my Canon files. The M8 is probably a bit different too, as its sensor filter leaks some IR altering the total spectrum captured. I understand that chlorophyll happens to be one naturally occurring compound that reflects IR, so definitely the M8 could have a different spectral response to vegetation, giving it a unique appearance.

As for your seeing this in Velvia though, maybe I can help... A while back I created a Velvia "curve" for Photoshop. I never really perfected it so I don't use it much, but it's not too bad either and maybe close enough. Anyway, here it is applied to the image above just for you --- hope you enjoy it :)

mercedblend_Velvia.jpg

Greg Rogers

Jack, the first and last are my favorites. Stunning.

Going off subject if I may for just a moment, whenever I read or hear "Yosemite" it reminds me of many years ago (decades?) a rookie broadcaster on The Weather Channel (here in the states) pronounced Yosemite "Yo-So-Mite" Sorry, couldn't resist. Just one of those things one never forgets.

-Greg

janet Smith

pro member
The last one is a blend of two exposures........blended them together manually in photoshop using some some new tools and techniques I have developed

Hi Jack

Glad you like my leaves - thank you.

Hmmmmmmm... new tools and techniques for blending - sounds extremely interesting!! any further info?

janet Smith

pro member
I always chrosscheck with biologists who have local knowledge...
I just think if you observe closely your local areas where you usually shoot, you probably find the one or other irrgeular seasonal thing happening. Green Finches started to die here suddenly as well

Hi Georg

Yes you're right, sorry I'm OT too, but it's disturbing isn't it, we also have a few Poppies and Cosmos in flower still in the garden, unheard of here at this time of year. Alarming to hear of the Green Finches dying, I'll ask around and see if there have been any similar occurances here.........

Asher Kelman

As for your seeing this in Velvia though, maybe I can help... A while back I created a Velvia "curve" for Photoshop. I never really perfected it so I don't use it much, but it's not too bad either and maybe close enough. Anyway, here it is applied to the image above just for you --- hope you enjoy it :)

mercedblend_Velvia.jpg
Hi Jack,

Thanks for sharing. I'm just wondering. Do you think this has more depth sense in it? I was thinking that a gradient applied to the Velvia version so that the lower part is used and then gradually less up to the top of the picture to nothing.

This applied to the original, maybe just less than ~ 30% of it, might increase the depth sense of the image.

What do you think?

Of course, not that the original needs any changes! It's perfect as is!

Asher

Jack_Flesher

Hi Jack,

Thanks for sharing. I'm just wondering. Do you think this has more depth sense in it? I was thinking that a gradient applied to the Velvia version so that the lower part is used and then gradually less up to the top of the picture to nothing.

This applied to the original, maybe just less than ~ 30% of it, might increase the depth sense of the image.

What do you think?

Of course, not that the original needs any changes! It's perfect as is!

Asher

You could certainly be correct, and it would be easy to check. However as I said, these were quickly processed on my laptop and posted from the field. If I have time, I'll try and work up a composite on my desktop when I'm back at the studio. Of course you could easily import both these jpegs into CS and try it yourself :)

Cheers,